Your opinion of the Gain Stage on the OD-100 SE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by redplexi, Jun 15, 2005.

1. redplexi

redplexi Supporting Member

What are your likes and dis-likes on the SE Gain Stage. Also, Briefly what is your Guitar/PU's -Cab w/Speakers, and Genre of Music being played through the CAE.

2. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Just curious what your dis-likes are.

3. redplexi

I actually like the amp. For me personally I'm used to EL-34's in my High Gain amps, so the OD-100 is a hole different voice to my ears. I would call it a tame defined Distortion, but very Hot. I came from an XTC, and I would call that more of a Raw sound, not very defined. I play more Rock Chords than Fusion Leads, so IMO I have to play with the EQ a little more to get where I want to go.

It does have the Dumble qualities as mentioned before. And when you switch channels, from Clean to Dirty it is a very smooth transition.

4. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

for me the OD100SH was the better fit simply due to my afinity for more vintage type tone and feel. It still has mountains of gain but I honestly think it would be closer to what your ears are looking for than the SE. I too am a huge fan of EL34's. I think the SH model is a little closer to that type of tone and feel. This is one of the best amps I've ever played and clearly the best high gainer of all time IMHO. And the clean channel is incredible. It's not ofter you get a channel switcher that either channel could stand on it's own as a killer single channel amp but the OD100SH could definitely do that. And darned few amps of this type I've ever played or heard that works this well with either single coils or humbuckers. I am amazed at how tight and defined each note is even with the gain really smoking. When I play with a group I am usually the only 6 stringer and have had great success being able to get killer rhythms, cleans, medium gain solo and over the top sizzling hot with this amp and am equally impressed with each. The it sounds incredibly thick in the mix but has no problem stepping out when the time comes. While she sounds awesome with a good Les Paul, I have found the OD100 really shines with 25 1/2" scale (Fender scale) guitars. I play a Suhr Standard Carved top with HSS pickup config that gives me every tone I could ever need plugged straight in. My Custom Shop Fender Showmaster HSS is also a real killer through the OD. If I play an LP style I use my CS 58' with low output P/U's and it sounds awesome but the cleans are definitely sweeter when using true single coils. OK.. enough rambling. I guess you can tell I love this amp. Oh yeah... I think speaker choice is also very important. I seem to gravitate to my 4X12 with G12H30's and one with Weber Silver Bell Alnico 30's. Both sound amazing with the OD!:dude

5. redplexi

Very interesting. John gave me some things that I could do to the amp, to tweek it a bit. If push comes to shove, I may send it back and have him put a trim pot on the Back like the Non-SE Models have to adjust the Mid-Range.

What amp, would you compare your Non-SE Gain channel to. Just an Anology on gain Channel comparisons.

6. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

after trying out a stock one today, I think I'll probably get one ..... but I'd really like to try the SH/SE mods before buying ....

7. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Awesome Mike!
    Don't delay, I'm dying to hear it :D :dude

8. glogulus

glogulus Silver Supporting Member

I'm going to be sending the OD100, that UPS broke, to Suhr to him have him fix stuff. It does play and what I've heard so far I like, but something seems broken with the tone controls. When I turn treble up, it cuts the trebs.. But it does sound good :).

I wonder if they would mod mine to play EL34s... Hmm I gotta ask them.

9. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Out of curiosity, does the OD100SE have equal amount of gain as a Diezel, Uberschall, or Recto?

10. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I can't really think of any amp I could make a direct comparison to. But in comparison to my XTC Classic (one you are also familier with) .... far, far, far better cleans tones, far better tones when using single coils, more open, brighter tone, far more sizzle or hottness (?) to the lead tones. Definitely a pile more gain on tap. Thicker solo tones in upper register while maintaining better definition and note seperations to solo notes. More spanky, boucing response, if you will, when playing funk and chunk style solos in and out of rhythms etc. I really haven't found anything that I'm not happy with about the OD. I really loved it right out of the box but now that I've found my settings I can play it litterally for hours without getting bored with the tone and feel.

11. taildragger

taildragger Member

I am also a fan of EL34's. I e-mailed John and asked him his thoughts on putting EL34's in the output section of the OD-100. He told me it could be done with a transformer change and some resistor changes. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it because the amp sounds fine with the 5881's. Well I went ahead and made some resistor changes so I can Bias the amp for EL34's.
    The change was right up my alley. Awesome. More Marshally as they say. I also play more rock chords and less fusion lead so this was it for me. Great tight ryhthm sounds on channel 2. More vesatile for my needs because the lead sound is still beautiful. The clean channel seemed to lose a little headroom and was a little more compressed. It is still great sounding to me. I sold Bogner XTC Classic to purchase this amp and am not looking back at all. Needless to say I sent the amp to John to get the transformer swapped out. It's finished and should be back to me some time this week. Can't wait. If you guys are interested in this mod you might want to e-mail John on the details...

12. glogulus

DUDE!! I'm so there..

How did the gain channel change when you went to EL34s? Is it more classic rock vs fusion leads from hell?

Could you also tell me what brand of EL34s he stuck in there and did you have a choice?

13. redplexi

He told me about yours on the Phone today, said it Kicked A$$. I think that I'll keep the 5881's in mine, because I love the Clean Channel. But I may have him put a tone pot in to shave off some of my Mid Highs that I'm hearing. I'm realy digging the amp. and it may just be my Ears. But I need to work on the Mids.

Like I said, I'll keep the 5881's because they do work great in this amp. But no reflection on the OD-100, just my playing style and how I like to get down and dirty. I'll probably pick up a Splawn Quick Rod, just to have in my arsenal.

14. taildragger

taildragger Member

John sounded impressed when I talked to him on the phone also. The clean channel is still awesome sounding. 10 times better than the XTC's clean channel. The gain channel was definately more classic rock but with the clarity that we have come to love with the od-100. I was still getting great fusion leads. The EL34's might not be for everyone. It works fo me...

15. glogulus

Taildragger, so was your OD100 a stock model or an OD100SH or an OD100SH/SE?

16. taildragger

taildragger Member

My amps the OD100SH/SE. I'm sure John could also give you a description on how the amp will differ sonically from the 5881's to the EL34's.

17. glogulus

Hi John,

I'm boxing up my amp to send you. Should I call your store and let them know it is coming?

So changing the transformer won't impact the tone of moving to EL34s?

18. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

A BIG +1 on this one. I have seen people who have one cab they love and expect every amp to perform to their specific needs through that cab and that cab only. I have several cabs in my arsonal simply because there are many tones I really like and no one cab works well with every amp. Some I only like with alnico speakers, others I really prefer ceramic. And of course there are many, many denominations of either so getting out there and listening to and trying different speakers in your rig to tweak your sound is every bit as important, if not more so, than just about any other part of the tonal chain. Some are lucky enough to stumble onto "their" perfect combination right away, but for others this is part of the reason it takes so long to find that magic formula for the tone in your head. It's NOT just about the perfect amp, guitar, speakers, cabinet, cabinet design, cables, tubes, pickups, strings, pedals and on and on it's the sum of all these things. If any link in that chain is not right the end result is compromised. And some times it takes years to find the right combination to work for you. I feel real remorse everytime I read a bad review on a good piece of gear and see a signal chain that I know just can't work. That's a sad case of someone missing out on the real tone and capability of a nice piece of gear that just may have been the answer to their calling with the right setup.

19. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

If I remember correctly you had your CAA for sale, until you discovered that strats sound good with it.....

20. glogulus

You're right of course, cost is a factor. I was just so excited to see that I could get EL34s :). Sometimes my GAS factor is too fast for my brain.

John, I'll call your shop today to talk about costs. Thanks!