• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Your opinion of the Gain Stage on the OD-100 SE

Fretmaster

Member
Messages
2,179
Originally posted by MikeyG
If I remember correctly you had your CAA for sale, until you discovered that strats sound good with it.....
My point exactly. It was for sale for about 5 hrs. Almost made one of the biggest mistakes in my tone search career. I was in the peak of a massive downsizing move and had only spent about an hour with the amp with only an LP standard and thought the $$$ and additional room in my studio would be nice. Fortunately I took the time to experiement and tweak the settings and try various guitars and realized I was setting on one of the best amps I'd ever owned. Close call but saved by the bell!! Which is EXACTLY why I said what I said above. I almost was a victim of the vary mistake I've seen so many make in the past. Not realizing the full potential of a piece of gear by not taking a little time to experiment and tweak and try various peripherals. The OD100SH is heads and shoulders above most any amp out there and absolutely the best high gainer / channel switcher ever IMHO. :dude
 

jdzialak

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
449
Sorry for my ignorance, but is the SH clean brighter than stock? Or does it just break up sooner?
SH has no effect on the gain in ch 2, correct?

Thanks,
Joe
 

redplexi

Member
Messages
559
SH is like a clean Boost on Channel 1 only. And on top of that there is a Bright switch on both Channel 1 and 2.
 

SQUAREHEAD

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,016
Originally posted by redplexi
SH is like a clean Boost on Channel 1 only. And on top of that there is a Bright switch on both Channel 1 and 2.

How are you getting on with the volume jump in the SE mod, Bro?
That's the only reason why I will probably go with the std SH 0D100...

kw
 

redplexi

Member
Messages
559
I'm using it as a 2 Channel instead of a 3. Just dialing in the Cleans that I like, and then the Gain/w Boost that I want. And if I need, I roll back the Guitar Volume.
 

jdzialak

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
449
Originally posted by Suhr
The SH clean channel is hotter in the low mids in both the boosted and unboosted mode (this can be snipped out in 2 seconds though)

The SH Clean channel has less brights in the bright switch and in one other place.

Totally separate from channel 2
Thanks John, It's what I thought.
I never use buckers on clean so I'll go with the SH.
I'm just trying to decide on SE or not. I'd like a VH tone on ch2(unboosted) then kick in to Higher gear for real heavy stuff.
Tight bottom end for chugging is a must.

Joe
 

SQUAREHEAD

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,016
Originally posted by redplexi
I'm using it as a 2 Channel instead of a 3. Just dialing in the Cleans that I like, and then the Gain/w Boost that I want. And if I need, I roll back the Guitar Volume.
Oh...
See that would be a bummer for me as I would like to play most of my heavy rythyms on ch 2 withOUT boost and then hit boost for soloing...
 

SQUAREHEAD

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,016
Originally posted by Suhr
If you put the gain at 6 or higher there is no issue with volume jump since you can get no louder once you start to compress. If you put the gain on 3 then the standard amp would be a better choice, Big Hair? = SE:cool:
Ok, Thanx John!
One questions tho.
I cannot seem to get the answer for this...

If I have the gain at 6 (ch2 withOUT boost), will I have LOTS of gain for heavy (Lynch/Demartini) style rythyms? Heavy, chunky, lot's of pick squeels, harmonics etc...

From what I've been told, the std SH OD100 has more gain on ch2 without boost than the SE ch2 without boost.
This is the only concern I have ...

So I guess what I'm asking is... Which OD100 has the most '80's style heavy rythyms in channel 2 WITHOUT boost?
Keith
 

jdzialak

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
449
Originally posted by SQUAREHEAD
Ok, Thanx John!
One questions tho.
I cannot seem to get the answer for this...

If I have the gain at 6 (ch2 withOUT boost), will I have LOTS of gain for heavy (Lynch/Demartini) style rythyms? Heavy, chunky, lot's of pick squeels, harmonics etc...

From what I've been told, the std SH OD100 has more gain on ch2 without boost than the SE ch2 without boost.
This is the only concern I have ...

So I guess what I'm asking is... Which OD100 has the most '80's style heavy rythyms in channel 2 WITHOUT boost?
Keith
Me too...is the SE only a difference to the BOOSTED ch 2?
So ch2 is the same when it's unboosted, SE or not.
Sorry Squarehead...I don't have your answer, just more questions.

Joe
 

SQUAREHEAD

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,016
Originally posted by jdzialak
Me too...is the SE only a difference to the BOOSTED ch 2?
So ch2 is the same when it's unboosted, SE or not.
Sorry Squarehead...I don't have your answer, just more questions.

Joe
No prob, Bro... that's kinda the same question I have... but I have been told that channel two withOUT boost is different between SE and std SH OD100. :confused:

Keith
 

SQUAREHEAD

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,016
From what I've been told, the std SH OD100 has more gain on ch2 without boost than the SE ch2 without boost.
This is the only concern I have ...

So I guess what I'm asking is... Which OD100 has the most '80's style heavy rythyms in channel 2 WITHOUT boost?
Keith:confused: :confused:
 

SQUAREHEAD

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,016
Ahhhhhhhhh:)

Thanx Ed!!!!
So I can get a Bogner Xtcy Blue channel heavy gain rythym out of the OD100SH on ch 2 without boost!!
I'm in!!

Ed...what's the wait on a std SH OD100?
Keith
 

bluessyndicate

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
2,537
Originally posted by alexkhan
Hey Keith and Joe,

Based on what you're describing, I think the Standard CH2 is what you'd want, not SE. The Standard's unboosted mode is hotter than the SE's unboosted mode - plus you can adjust the boosted mode's gain level via the internal trim pot. You can set the Standard's unboosted mode to be fairly hot with the gain at 2 o'clock and up for chunky 80's-style rhythms and use the boost for saturated leads. The Standard is more versatile than the SE from this perspective, although as redplexi pointed out, the SE's boosted mode cleans up really well when you back off on the guitar's volume pot for more crunch-type of sounds and mellower overdrive. But if you want instant switching from high-gain chunky rhythm to singing lead at the stomp of the footswitch, the Standard OD is the way to go.

I realize that the difference between the Standard CH2 and the SE CH2 is hard to describe. They're almost like different amps. I think Standard's CH2 has as much gain as most people would ever need. The SE is a different kind of a beast and I wouldn't say it's better or worse than the Standard OD. From what I've seen, it's been 50/50 in terms of people's preferences. If you need that footswitchable versatility between high-chunk rhythm and singing lead, I'd say Standard is the way to go. To me, the SE is more of a specialized beast for those looking for the most insane kind of high-gain lead sound.
Ed, here is a stupid question... is the amount of gain on the SE boost dependent on the gain setting of Ch2, or is it a completely independent. I would assume the answer is it's dependent on the gain setting, but I'd hate to make that assumption and be wrong....only to find an amp where in some applications one might use a lower gain setting on ch 2, and upon hitting the boost switch find an overwhelming difference in gain between boosted and unboosted.
 

SQUAREHEAD

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,016
Originally posted by bluessyndicate
Ed, here is a stupid question... is the amount of gain on the SE boost dependent on the gain setting of Ch2, or is it a completely independent. I would assume the answer is it's dependent on the gain setting, but I'd hate to make that assumption and be wrong....only to find an amp where in some applications one might use a lower gain setting on ch 2, and upon hitting the boost switch find an overwhelming difference in gain between boosted and unboosted.
It is dependent on where you have the gain set on the front panel...another words, the more gain you have on ch 2 UNboosted, the more you'll have when it's boosted.
 

SQUAREHEAD

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,016
Originally posted by alexkhan
That is correct.

So, on the SE, if you have the gain at noon or lower, the difference in gain/volume range between the unboosted and boost modes is significant and many would find that unusable. But if you have the gain at around 1 o'clock and up, the difference isn't as drastic because, as John pointed out, you start getting just more compression from the boosted mode as you turn up the gain.

BTW, did you get my email?

Yes I did,
Strange thing...
Someday it'll all come out, somehow. It always does!!
"Your sins shall find you out"
lol
Keith
 

jdzialak

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
449
Thanks Ed!!!!
As soon as my XTC sells, I NEED AN OD100/SH!!!!!!!!

(check the amp ads here for my ebay listing)

Joe
 

glogulus

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,073
Originally posted by Suhr
The SH clean channel is hotter in the low mids in both the boosted and unboosted mode (this can be snipped out in 2 seconds though)

The SH Clean channel has less brights in the bright switch and in one other place.

Totally separate from channel 2
So my amp has the SH mod on ch1. if I think it sounds to full or wooly (with bright on/off), would going to stock ch1 be a better fit for me? I like a real open sounding clean. I really haven't played the amp much though so it could just need a little more tweaking from me. The clean sounds I'm interested in is between wind cries mary and lenny, would leaving the SH mod give me this?
 

glogulus

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,073
Originally posted by Suhr
Well just for the record
Yes of course I could change the transformer but it isnt a small operation.
The Stock transfomer can handle EL34's though, the power transformer has no problem with the extra heater current. You need to change the Screen resistors to 1k/5w and the bias a little bit, also recommended are a few other small parts, JJ seem good these days, I have seen some problems with new Winged C but I havent given up on them since they do sound good.

snip for brevity
Can anyone recommend a good brand of resistor to use as the screen resistor?
 






Top Bottom