Your opinion of the Gain Stage on the OD-100 SE

rjmmusic

Platinum Supporting Member
Originally posted by taildragger
. Well I went ahead and made some resistor changes so I can Bias the amp for EL34's.
The change was right up my alley. Awesome. More Marshally as they say. I also play more rock chords and less fusion lead so this was it for me. Great tight ryhthm sounds on channel 2.
Wow - that sounds exactly what I'd like. You've already said that the amp is tighter, which would be great for me. I'm guessing the EL34s give more agressive midrange too? From my brief time playing one, those are the two things I'd love to change.

Please let us know when you get your amp back - it'll be interesting to hear how the transformer change affects the sound.

M

myblues

Originally posted by Suhr
The SH clean channel is hotter in the low mids in both the boosted and unboosted mode (this can be snipped out in 2 seconds though)

The SH Clean channel has less brights in the bright switch and in one other place.

Totally separate from channel 2
HI John, just recently purchased the OD 100/50.
Amazing amp but to be honest I need more time to really explore the possibilites. I am finding the CH2 Boost volume jump to be a bit extreme, any suggestions?

Can you help uncover the mysteries of the SE/ SH/std and where the 50 sits relative to all these mods?
BTW I got it from Eddie at Indoor Storm.

M

myblues

Originally posted by alexkhan
Does yours have the Gain Boost pot on the back panel? If not, you can adjust the level of gain boost on the trimpot inside of the chassis. The Boost mode is designed to be the lead mode to cut through the mix and it does add more volume as well as gain.

The 50 is closer to the Standard than the SE, but it does a sag a little more than the Standard 100 but doesn't have quite as much gain or lows as the SE. The 50 has its own thing going. The clean on the 50 is identical to the Standard clean except that the Bright switch is SH in that it's not quite as bright as the Standard Bright switch.

The simple layout of the OD amps belies the depth and range of sounds that are available on them. They all respond extremely well to guitar's volume pot adjustments, pickup changes, and your pick attack, so you can coax a wide range of tones without having to adjust the gain level or switching channels. One good way to expand the range of CH1 is to engage the boost, have the gain level set around noon or little higher and roll back the guitar's volume pot to get a high-headroom spanky clean and the roll up the pot and dig harder into the strings for raw bluesy leads or Stones-like crunch.

The same goes for the CH2 unboosted and boosted modes. Experiment with the volume pot and pickup changes on the guitar. You'll find that you can get a very wide range of overdrive and distortion tones by setting the Gain on 6~7 (1~2 o'clock) and rolling back the volume pot whether you have the Boost engaged or not. Also, don't be afraid to set the tone controls anywhere you see fit. Some guys roll the Bass all the way back, some roll back the Treble to 10 o'clock but turn the Presence all the way up, some roll back both the Treble and the Bass but boost the Mids to around 2~3 o'clock. It's quite sensitive to tweaks without drastically altering the basic sonic character of the amp.
Hi Ed thanks for the info. My amp has a feedback knob on the back but not a Gain Boost pot on the back. I hate trim pots!!!!!
Why not just add these to the back of the amp? I mean who want to pull a chassis especially one the size and weight of the OD100?

Anyway, please let me know more about the Feedback knob, it is not even talked about in the manual whcih came with the amp.
I don't mean to be a jerk but for the price of this amp you think it would have a manual written for it not and not for the OD100 model.

Thanks again for the help and info.

Also one last thing about CH2: If I have the gain up around 9-10 I get a fair amount of crackling through the amp? Is this a bad tube? I read somewhere that The Scott Henderson mod in CH2 usesa 12AY7 in one of the preamp slots for a sweeter OD sound. Is this anything that you would recommend for the 50 and if so which preamp tube would you change?

Thanks

M

myblues

Hi Ed, yes the crackli g stop whenI turn down the gain from 9-10 to say 6-8 ?

Which tube do you think is the culprit here ?

Thanks,
Rick

jazzygeoff

What's the wait time for one of these amps? Say a OD-100SE. As well I don't see a Canadian retailer on the website is there any?

skookumz

Originally posted by jazzygeoff
As well I don't see a Canadian retailer on the website is there any?
Robbie Brown's Guitar Town, it's there under International Dealers

jazzygeoff

Originally posted by skookumz
Robbie Brown's Guitar Town, it's there under International Dealers
That'll teach me for not scrolling right. To bad Bobby Brown's Guitar Town is 2,500 miles a way from me. Oh well.

So any idea what a wait is for one of these amps?

Trending Topics