Your opinion on irreversible mods - esp on Custom Shop instruments

Performing irreversible mods on instruments

• Total voters
There were a lot less choices in the past.

IMO today with how many choices we have just sell it and buy something that is the way you want it from the get go. Unless a mod is easily reversible.

That is the problem with it. If it's a great player why on earth would you ever sell it?

Because life happens.

Brian N

I like to keep my collection of instruments very small, but I like to change them up. I buy used and get a decent deal, then sell later for what I paid or more. That allows me to keep gear moving through my life without spending new money on it.

That's a valid strategy that I hadn't thought about much. I'm the polar opposite; when I buy a piece of gear, I'm thinking about whether or not I'd want to keep this for the rest of my life.

It's kind of a unique thing; I can't think of many other hobbies where you can just try stuff out and resell it later. Video games, but no one is modding their video games at the expense of resale value. Cars are the most relevant one I can think of; a modded car typically would lose resale value (I assume?)

twoheadedboy

That's a valid strategy that I hadn't thought about much. I'm the polar opposite; when I buy a piece of gear, I'm thinking about whether or not I'd want to keep this for the rest of my life.

That's fine too. Whatever works for you. If I could justify it, I'd like to have more instruments around. However, I don't have the space, and I have psychological quirks that make me feel weird about accumulating unnecessary personal possessions.

modavis99

Silver Supporting Member
If you mod a guitar bc you’re unhappy with something, there’s a risk you’ll be unhappy after the mod, and you will have lowered the value of the guitar. So Im in the camp that says don’t permanently mod vintage pieces.

KFBR392

Silver Supporting Member
Do it. It's a tool not a museum piece.

Who cares about the re-sale value?

The used and vintage guitar market is a bunch of baloney, anyways. Just find something you like, customize it however you wish, and play the damn thing.
What’s baloney about the used market?

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
No guitar comes stock like everybody needs them. They are ALL made to some least common denominator standard. All of them. Not even the Fender Masterbuilt shop can be assumed to make a guitar that covers your individual needs.

So, the goal in buying a guitar is getting as close as you can on the things not easily changed. Then change those easy things to make a guitar that actually meets your needs. Every guitar purchase should be thought of in those terms, if you are being realistic.

Resale is irrelevant therefore because you shouldn’t be wasting time with a guitar that doesn’t suit you. So why buy one?

So make a decision: can the guitar you have be made perfect for your needs? If so, do so. If not, you are just wasting time and money. Dump it and don’t make that mistake again.
I've never purchased a CS Masterbuilt Fender (and likely never will, due to my budget constraints), but I was under the impression they would build to one's exact specs. Is this not the case?

In any case, this thread is a solid argument for partscasters. Everything exactly the way you want it and more money in your pocket!

andrekp

I've never purchased a CS Masterbuilt Fender (and likely never will, due to my budget constraints), but I was under the impression they would build to one's exact specs. Is this not the case?

In any case, this thread is a solid argument for partscasters. Everything exactly the way you want it and more money in your pocket!

I don’t know…can you get whatever pickups you want on one, or only Fenders? Can you mix the saddle metals? Can you get a different control plate layout? Can you get an Electrosocket jack? And even if so, is that worth $8k to you?

NSDQRKR

I think the point of a “custom” shop is its everything you want hence the premium price. If I knew I was going to mod I would get an off the shelf model. Mods usually do not increase value though.

Frankster

Shops order masterbuilt too, not just individuals. And tastes also change, and sometimes..lufe hapoens, like someone stated.

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
I don’t know…can you get whatever pickups you want on one, or only Fenders? Can you mix the saddle metals? Can you get a different control plate layout? Can you get an Electrosocket jack? And even if so, is that worth $8k to you?
Absolutely not. Especially when I can have the neck and body made to my specifications, then add whatever hardware I please at less than 20% of the cost!
Shops order masterbuilt too, not just individuals. And tastes also change, and sometimes..life happens, like someone stated.
I understand that. My question was merely whether Fender CS would build to exact specs.

jenksdrummer

A thought...buy some cheapies to practice your mods. If you like the result, then go for it.

IE, shaving the neck....

Personally speaking, I like the variety of necks between my guitars. I can't envision thinking any of them 'sucks' enough where I'd think 'ya know what this needs?' and I go grab a rasp...

They all sound a bit different, they all play a bit different. That alone can inspire different approaches.

RRfireblade

I have no issue doing it but I don't often do it because the options and availability of features these days are endless. Years ago, yea, there's little I wouldn't do if it fixed something I didn't like since it was easier to do that than go back out shopping.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
no but actually yes. I've modded my 95 nocaster beyond the specs that most would consider to their taste or acceptance. but when you only have one guitar and are curious you tend to take liberties and experiment. very early on - like almost immediately had extensive work done on the neck. at one point, had the body cavity routed to accommodate a CC pickup {not for me}, it held a bigsby for a while, many different pickups, almost all the hardware changed out, flipped control plate. not radical but significant alterations to original specs.

have a mare bridge pickup that don made me and have to replace the pots cuz their scratchy, so trying some VIP pots. the changes go on...

andrekp

I think the point of a “custom” shop is its everything you want hence the premium price. If I knew I was going to mod I would get an off the shelf model. Mods usually do not increase value though.

As I’ve pointed out repeatedly on this forum, to no avail, a Fender CS Tele is not truly custom in the way that you mean it. It is still limited in available customizations, some of which are important ones. Like, for example, what pickups you want. “You can have any color at all, so long as it’s Fender.”

What if you don’t WANT to be confined to the choice of Fender pickups? Do you add your own after the fact and reduce the supposed resale value by x percent over it?

Does the Fender CS offer a decent Tele jack, or just that crappy one they’ve been using since Leo Fender hacked it together from old toaster parts? No. So if you want an Electrosocket jack, you need to buy one ($15), rip out the old one, drill a couple holes in your My Precious, and lower it’s supposed resale value by x percent.

Etc.

In the end, a CS Tele is only worth the money stock if you are willing to put up with stock. No real gearhead would be interested in a 100 percent stock CS Tele because they are NOT available in all the flavors a gearhead would want. A gear head will have to mod, which lowers the supposed resale value, which makes it fairly pointless to START at 4k and go down 30 percent (for example) in value, when you could start at, say 1k, put everything you want on it for $250 max and drop 30 percent in value and still be ahead of the game with a perfect for you guitar.

The other people who buy CS Fenders are the “investors” who never really buy anything based on criteria other than resale value. They are the ones that post pictures of their CS guitars with all of the carefully preserved case candy, or post distraught threads about how they bought a CS Tele off Reverb and it was missing some silly certificate and the seller is being a dick about returns.

The only people with stock guitars are people who can’t solder or turn a screwdriver. They are to be pitied, not praised for paying 4-8k for a slab of wood that doesn’t meet all their desires.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom