Your opinions on Highway1 Strats ??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by burchyk, May 12, 2005.

1. burchyk

burchyk Member

I have an option to pick a used Highway 1 strat.. Would like to hear some opinions first. The shop got only Squiers and Mex ones to compare :(

2. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

From what I've seen, they're decent. Nothing that a pickup upgrade can't fix. My problem with them is the awful finish. The necks feel great, but I can't get over the finish on the body.

3. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Mine was pretty killer right off the rack. However, that didn't stop me from modding the crap out of it. Not exactly a resounding endorsement, but honestly, those I've played have been GREAT guitars, mine included. I only modded mine for fun, not ecause it needed much more that a pots & pickups upgrade.

Nitro refin, and the only original part is the body:

[​IMG]

4. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

although some find the finish on these objectionable, to others (like me) it's one of their best assets. I like the look and feel, and it does seem to help them resonate nicely.

A perfectly giggable Strat right out of the box.

I say :dude :dude :dude

/rick

5. CS'56

CS'56 Member

I'm under the impresion these are like Mexican standards (with the exeption of the finish) assembled in the USA.

These guitars sport the standard Mexican pickups and hardware, correct?

6. blong

blong Supporting Member

I love my Highway 1 tele and will probably soon buy a few of the strat model. For the money they are great guitars. I tend to leave most of my guitars stock. If I didn't like them off the shelf, why buy a $500 guitar and then spend $200-400 upgrading it. Just buy the higher end guitar.

I understand that some really enjoy the tweaking and fine-tuning of a guitar, doing all the upgrades. I have found that I would rather spend the time playing mine. As for pickups, I like all different tones, that's why I have many different guitars. And most pickups will sound great if you turn the knobs on your amp enough.

As for the finish, I love it. I rarely care much about finish and that is the reason I mainly buy used guitars. I let someone else sweat out the first ding and the depreciation in price. I buy used, hold onto it for a while, play the hell out of it, and when some internet rumor gets started that b/c this model was assembled in certain conditions buy someone special, I sell it for a profit and get something else. I really dig the finish on the Highway 1's. It dings up nicely and will looked relic'd in no time without the $300-500 upcharge for someone attacking it with a grinder and sandpaper.

The quality of them is great.

Bob

7. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

Mexican style hardware but the bodies, necks, frets and tuners are American. The frets are are the larger MIA style, not the small vintage type wire on the MIM. The necks have the rolled edges and tuners like the MIA's. The pickups aren't that great, no RW/RP middle, but they are not the same as the whats in the MIM's. I personally think the thin finish is a great thing tone wise. Like most instrument running the racks will reveal the ones that are better than others.

8. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

does anyone know if fender makes a shorter scale neck on any of their guitars? sorta like an LP

9. burchyk

burchyk Member

I hear you, finishes are not THE best, that's true..
    Neck profile suits me perfect though :)

10. burchyk

burchyk Member

Your Strat is very sexy !!
    I think about putting some custom pickguard, new nut, knobs, straplocks, spring retainer .. hmm did I forgot anything :D

11. burchyk

burchyk Member

that particular one has some knocks. it looks kinda nicely worn rather then ugly beat up though. brownish white semi-transparent laquer adds some charm to it :cool:

12. burchyk

burchyk Member

it feels better than any mex std I've seen so far.. neck profile suits me better also ( fatter and rounder )

13. burchyk

burchyk Member

your post is really inspiring

:)

14. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

No, not at all.

The neck appears identical to a current US Series, with the same 22 big frets, rolled edges, Bi-Flex truss rod, string trees and machineheads.

The body is 3-piece (alder?) routed HSS (not HSH as it says on the website).

The pickups appear to be similar or identical to US Series, but without the RWRP middle and the hotter bridge. The electrics are vintage-style with a .1uf cap, no tone control on the bridge pickup and no No-Load pot.

The bridge may be identical to the Mexican RIs (not the Standard) - it's got the correct US spacing and angled trem arm socket, but the block may be slightly larger and heavier, though it's still alloy not steel.

The finish does mark very easily, but I actually like it. I'm not especially interested in the 'instant relic' concept, I just like the feel of it and think it contributes to the good tone, which all the ones I've played do have.

In fact, it's pretty much the combination of all the features I like from a few different models, and well-priced too. I'll maybe upgrade the bridge block and the pickups eventually.

15. burchyk

burchyk Member

What I find interesting is that it seems to have 1-piece body :eek:

What is "No-Load pot" ?

16. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

Hey Carson! That neck looks familliar :D Looks great!

17. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

I bet it does! Great neck...love the ebony board. Looks great against the gold hardware. :D

18. John C

John C Supporting Member

A no-load pot actually takes the tone control out of circuit - when you turn it all the way up to "10" the tone circuit is bypassed. The ideas is to provide both the "Vintage Strat" tone (where the bridge pickup is wired only to the volume pot) and the "Modern Strat" circuitry of having a tone control for the bridge pickup.

19. burchyk

burchyk Member

Seems to be a great idea! Does it actually use some special construction pot or is it just a fancy name of specific tone circuit?

20. John C

John C Supporting Member

One of the real guitar techs on the board should provide a full answer, but as I understand it a pot works internally by having a metal "wiper" that touches a metal "contact strip" across the arc of a circle. The no-load pot just has a spot at the end of the arc where the contact strip has been removed. When turned all the way the wiper no longer makes contact with the strip taking the pot and capacitor out of the circuit.

Hopefully someone more electronicly-inclined will correct me if that is wrong.