Your opinions on Highway1 Strats ??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by burchyk, May 12, 2005.

1. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

Thats pretty much it exactly.

2. John Bell

John Bell Supporting Member

There's one with a 70's headstock and a bucker in the bridge at a local store .It plays and sounds incredible.There are a couple others that don't play nearly as well,but do sound good.I'm considering buying it as a backup.

3. mbratch

mbratch Member

That's a nice looking guitar.
    :dude

4. That's one of my main axes! The singles are the same as the 70's classic MIM line... As is the hardware. The neck is killer on mine also, plays great. The humbucker is the Fender Atomic Humbucker.

I actually like the finish on mine, I enjoy the roughed up look (my watch tore off most of the finish on the upper contour) and I think mine resonates far better than my buddies American Standard. I think the Pups sound a lot better too.

5. burchyk

burchyk Member

Thanks, I think got it :) The pot disconnects the "resistor-cap-ground" part of the tone circuit when in 0 Ohm setting

6. burchyk

burchyk Member

What do you think about the bridge section?
    How do you like Fender Atomic Humbucker?

7. highway-one

highway-one Member

I will have mine forever Ill be puting different pickups in it soon, and a new neck. but its phenominal as it is, I got a gem. RED

8. ducatisteve

ducatisteve Member

This certainly is an interesting statement! Most will bond with a guitar for life because of the sound and the way the neck feels, yet these are the two things you will be replacing. At the same time, I have heard good things about the bodies, and have seen people use them as the base for projects many times (something that has intrigued me on more than one occasion). I look forward to seeing what you end up doing with yours!

9. Fuzzles

Fuzzles Member

I put together a partscaster with a HWY1 body, neck and tuners, EJ Strat bridge and Lollar Blackface-Special pups and am quite happy with it. I think the Honey Blonde finish looks great, have a tortoiseshell guard on it.

10. redroos

redroos Member

OK, FWIW, I think the post 2005 HWY1 is the best Fender value out there. From 2006 onward. Here's the particulars:

The frets are jumbo, the bridge is 2 1/16th wide with vintage saddles. The body is alder. Either 3 or four pieces, BTW. (They have never made or ever will make a 1 piece HWY1 body - ain't gonna happen.) These are the good points.

The pickups are horrible and unique to the Fender line (11K-B, 9K-M, 9K-N), and non reverse M. (Since the bobbins are the USA plastic/nylon type you can change this M pickup with a mag reverse and a wire reverse - but you still have a 9K M pickup.)The paint is laquer on poly so the entire body is encased in poly. (But you can remove the laquer it in 5 minutes with a rag and a can of Acetone and repaint it any color you like. Or you can keep going and cut the poly if you want.) These are the bad points.

I ignored the headstock, big from 2006 on and I don't mind this. But vintage freaks do so there's that cosmetic thing.

I have changed the pickups, removed the color coat, and sanded the poly off the neck and on a few places on the body. And I love the guitar. Was it worth it? Yeah. If you say I should have bought a more expensive guitar in the line, show me one that has jumbo frets on it. So buy that other guitar and tack on $275 for a refret to jumbos. Cost? Maybe $1500. The HWY1 cost me $600 + the cost of the Fralins.

11. redroos

redroos Member

Oh, BTW, that EJ bridge will screw in but why? Now you have that 2 3/16ths spread on the bridge with the high E falling off the neck if you run 9s. Talk to people with the Jimmie Vaughan Strat and listen to there complaints - big frets and a wide bridge is a recipe for cautious playing. I do not have the patience when I know that the 2 1/16th spacing lets me just plain have at it.

12. alvarete

alvarete Member

I have one, liked it stock, LOVE it after putting in some Rocketfire Total 60s. Nice body, nice neck, finish is kinda meh, but the satin layer has rubbed off after a couple of years (I guess you could remove it yourself, as pointed out above).

I think it's a killer guitar for the price range. I'd certainly take one over a Roadworn any day.

13. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I have a 2009 Highway one Telecaster, 3TSB with Rosewood neck on the way. I played the maple neck / vintage white (I guess) in a store and I really liked it but want to try the Rosewood. I actually really enjoyed the neck as is and I think the body/finish is great. I can go one of three ways with the body:
    1. Leave it as is and let her relic over time naturally
    2. Do something similar to the above post and recoat
    3. Do what the second poster did and shoot it with Nitro
    In any case, I think it's a great deal. Nice specs, decent pups to get you started at least, USA for the most part, etc... what's not to like ;) They seem like a fantastic base to mod as mentioned before. I will have to see what mods are required/necessary but I'm sure they can be implemented over time because the one's I played in the store were very nice.

14. Jdobson

Jdobson Member

I'm confused. I thought the highway one's already had a thin skin nitro finish. That's what the fender site specs say. If you have an 09' wouldn't that be already nitro? Are there some that aren't nitro? Sorry to resurrecte an old thread but I'm interested in many getting a used one and the nitro is a plus for me.

15. noisebloom

noisebloom Member

I have a 2004/05 HSS Hwy 1 Strat in honey amber.

I got it at a Sam Ash a few years ago for less than $400, as it had worm scratch from someone's Levi's.

I love the neck. Satin finish, very smooth and playable. It was comfortable from the moment I picked it up. Aside from the price, it's what sold me on the guitar.

I like the nitro finish on the body, and that also helped sell the guitar. I really like the satin feel. Several Hwy 1 owners have alleged that it's nitro sprayed over poly, but I'm not 100% convinced.

The bridge assembly is very odd. It's US-spec string spacing, but with MIM-spaced saddles, so the saddles slide around a bit. I'm finally fed up with them and will replace them with a set of US-spaced saddles. I think the trem block is ordinary zinc.

I like the wiring scheme, and I like the two single pickups, too. This guitar has the coolest sounding middle position I've heard on a Strat. But I've never cared for the Atomic Humbucker, and one of these days I intend to change it out for something else. Apparently that pickup is pretty hot, around 14-15k, but I've never felt the sound was very alive or inspiring to me. For a hot pickup, it's really ordinary.

I also had a longstanding dislike for the CBS headstock in the past, but I grew to like it thanks for this guitar.

[​IMG]

16. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Excellent Teles too BTW

17. noisebloom

noisebloom Member

Just noticed how old this thread is. :bonk

18. amp48

amp48 Member

I just wish the necks weren't so thin.

19. Bossman

Bossman Member

so is there a bottom line to this nitro over poly debate? i too am looking for a nitro skinned strat and thought this would fit the bill...

20. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

I believe there's a poly primer beneath the nitro, is what's been pointed out.

What about early versions? I'll be looking at a 2003 here soon. I have read, they have smaller frets than current, less over-wound pickups, a urethane finish, small headstock - but do they have cheaper than say a JimV hardware, pots, switches? I know the pre "upgrade" is somewhat a different animal. Anyone know what else about the earlier ones are different, or the same, such as specific pickup info, bridge/saddle/block materials, neck carve, general quality, etc.? (atten: Boris, if you catch this..)