• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Your opinions on these guitars.

skipkern

Fender Paramount PM-3 and Blueridge BR 143, also look at the Recording King they are a lot better then you would think for the price.

Tim Pourciau

I got a Blueridge BR-143A a couple weeks ago. I cannot say enough good things about this guitar. This is the same guitar as the BR-143, but with an adirondack top and without that awful headstock bling. I paid $400 used for it off reverb and could not be happier. Great guitar. Super light, very resonant, great fit and finish.

Dumdeediddle

Sorry to get off topic here Mr. Martin. Was glancing at this Thread and had to double & triple take when I saw your picture.
You have a double out in the Pacific Northwest.
You look amazingly like a guy I used to work with on a regular basis the last few years when I would visit a particular Aerospace company on business. He did have a Strat in his office...

clintmartin

Sorry to get off topic here Mr. Martin. Was glancing at this Thread and had to double & triple take when I saw your picture.
You have a double out in the Pacific Northwest.
You look amazingly like a guy I used to work with on a regular basis the last few years when I would visit a particular Aerospace company on business. He did have a Strat in his office...
I have a doppleganger!!! Cool. I am a Strat guy, but I'm born, raised and have lived in Arkansas my whole life.

clintmartin

I got a Blueridge BR-143A a couple weeks ago. I cannot say enough good things about this guitar. This is the same guitar as the BR-143, but with an adirondack top and without that awful headstock bling. I paid $400 used for it off reverb and could not be happier. Great guitar. Super light, very resonant, great fit and finish.
I haven't read a bad review about the Blueridge guitars. I wish I could play one. Being a long time Fender guy I'm having a bit of lust for the Paramount series. The Deluxe looks very nice.

COYS

I was doing searches here and at the acoustic guitar forums on some of the same guitars and found a lot of people discussing the Yamaha A3R or A3M. They seem to have extremely positive word of mouth and people feel they stack up to anything for the price. I haven't found one locally myself but I'm going to soon.

What people say is that it sounds great compared to comparably priced guitars, but that it really blows others away when plugged in.

vbf

I recently acquired a late 80's MIJ Alvarez Yairi, essentially a D28 copy, and it sounds incredible. Perhaps you can find one and check it out.

RustyAxe

I haven't read a bad review about the Blueridge guitars. I wish I could play one. Being a long time Fender guy I'm having a bit of lust for the Paramount series. The Deluxe looks very nice.
I have NEVER played a Fender acoustic I'd want to own. The Paramounts are newish, they might be better. Like Fender, PRS is known for its electrics, and the acoustics are rare (is there a reason?). Masterbuilts are usually pretty nice, I've played a few and liked 'em. Yamahas are usually pretty good guitars, too. The best value in the bunch is the Blueridge. The one's I've played are quite nice, sound great.

Eastman makes some great flat tops. I have an Adi-topped AC420B that sounds better than a Martin D-35 (that I sold after buying the Eastman) ... cost me less than $1000 new. Breedlove is making some nice guitars in that range. Check out Takamine ... most are laminated back and sides (no big deal) and typically have very good pickups and preamps.

You'd do well to consider used guitars ...

COYS

I played a Fender Paramount briefly the other weekend, and it seemed fairly nice. I would consider it on par with other imports in the sub $1000 range. I'm not an acoustic player really, but it seemed to be of similar quality. Was a pretty nice instrument.

Dale

The preamp is something I appreciate a lot and think works and sounds better than the straight in Expression version (E2 I think) that was in my Taylor 312.

andrekp

I was doing searches here and at the acoustic guitar forums on some of the same guitars and found a lot of people discussing the Yamaha A3R or A3M. They seem to have extremely positive word of mouth and people feel they stack up to anything for the price. I haven't found one locally myself but I'm going to soon.

What people say is that it sounds great compared to comparably priced guitars, but that it really blows others away when plugged in.
I second this wholeheartedly. I have an A3R and I can tell you without a doubt it is the best sounding guitar, plugged in, that you will likely ever hear outside of some really high-end or custom set-up. Seriously. That's were the A3 series not only excels, but trounces the competition. Taylors sound anemic in comparison. I get compliments almost every time I play among others that my A3R sounds so much better (and people who don't know guitars often ask me why that is - like it's something I'm doing). (And from the Taylor guys, I get: "What Taylor is that?" (the A3's look a little more like Taylors than Yamahas) Then they try not to look too snooty when I tell them it's not a $3000 Taylor like theirs.)

Unplugged, they sound good after breaking in. They really open up a lot even after just a few weeks, so don't be at all disappointed if it sounds a bit boxy at first. That said, these things ARE fairly heavy in construction as compared to, say, a Martin. Again, great for live gigging with a guitar, where you don't want flimsy, but it will likely never get as lively as a well-aged super thin Martin guitar meant to be played unplugged. They are really not bad at all unplugged though, and mine seems to compare favorably with any other guitars I've heard unplugged.

Action came low, but I lowered it further to near Tommy Emmanuel levels. It takes it well. Intonation nearly right on.

Neck is narrow and electric like. Some people hate that in an acoustic. It has rolled edges, which give it an even narrower feel and make thumb over the top playing easy, but it also means the two E strings are really close to the edge. You have to get used to that in your technique. Some people put on a new nut to pull them back from the edge, but I don't see any reason to make things even narrower, and you DO get used to it. It you have sausage fingers, try before you buy.

My A3R has a real nice low end. I use D'Addrio light PB's (uncoated). The Concert size will reduce that a bit.

Case is great. Pretty much no guitar comes with a decent hard case under $1000, so that's extra value right there. Also comes with a soundhole cover.

The only downside I see is that it has a giant pre-amp built in. Like on every other guitar made that way, what if it fails someday? Will it be fixable? Will I care? As with ANYTHING made of wood, will the guitar still be playable then? Who knows? On the other hand, if you want to play live, now, what aftermarket pickup system will sound as good? None that I've heard.

If I had a $1000, I'd look get either the A3M or the A3CR to compliment the A3R, BEFORE I'd look elsewhere, if that means anything.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
For my tastes, I would rule out the Epiphone and the Fender because I'm not crazy about 1.75" nut widths. I would also rule out the PRS because of the shallow body and weird wood. After that, it would probably depend on if I was looking for a rosewood or mahogany bodied guitar. If you're leaning towards the Blueridge, I would try to get a discount code or call in and try to get 15-20% off. I also noticed that the sunburst version of the Yamaha is on sale for $699 at Musician's Friend.

Dale

Just make sure it is the A3 series. There is a solid top only version that is often 699.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom