• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Your own guitar rig sounds best when....

Ryan84

Your own guitar rig sounds best when you've been away from home for a while. Ever find yourself feeling that way when you go off on a trip, vacation, at a friends etc.? Or while you're away from home it's like separation anxiety and you get an urge to play guitar? But then once you get back every pedal, amp, and guitar you own sounds amazing. Like you are playing it all for the first time.

We spend so much time on TGP wishing and dreaming of all the gear we could own in our wildest dreams. Which is fine, It's fun to search out and buy new gear. But sometimes it's just about being grateful for what you have. I guess this is kind of a random post but maybe others will find some wisdom from it. Next time you're feeling like you need another guitar/amp/pedal, get out of the house for a few days. Because once you get back, you'll find you already have all you need.

SinkingShip

One of the best GAS solutions for sure..I practise on garage band a lot now and going back to my amp is like heaven.

also

Need a new amp? - try some new valves , plug your guitar straight in with one cable, turn up LOUD, a new speaker, try someone elses guitar in your amp etc etc

Need a new guitar ? - try new strings, intonate ( or just a better tuner !!), change you pickup height, drop your vol to 7 etc etc

Need a new pedal - buy 72 drive pedals, realise you only need 2-3 drive tones, sell 48 pedals, rotate the remaining pedals, realise they are 90% similar, sell them all and claim you only like "amp" dirt, rinse and repeat

Tito83

Once I've owned just a Suhr Strat and a Two Rock Jet... That rig sounded best when it was "on". Until this day, every other rig I've had I struggled with it sounding good some days, some days not so much.

gmann

Your own guitar rig sounds best when....

someone else is playing!
There's a lot of truth in this. I'm always workin' on my board and I think it sounds really good/great most of the time. Whenever I let someone sit in tho I'm thinkin' holy shite that rig sounds amazing. The other side of that's true too. I'll sit in with someone and they tell me that 'my rig never sounds that good when I'm playin' it. Listening to your rig fm an audience perspective is a good way to evaluate it I'm thinkin'.

DanHorse

LOL- one of the things that hugely changes my rig is the mains supply. I have a gauge that tells me the current feed and it's amazing the diff between say 239v in and 246v in, which are the 2 ends of the extremes.
Yep the mains supply messes with my rig a lot, I really need to get a mains conditioner/regulator.

Apart from that, my rig sounds best when my amp is never turned off,just left on standby. I have found my Orange needs a day to warm up and smooth out the buzzy sound it has from cold.... later the same day it still has the fizzy harshness, but the next day - its all gravy.

DanHorse

Dan as you're in UK, go to olson.co.uk

Pete Cornish recommended them and said they're much better than Fruman and half the price. Do look closely at the options- I have a 10 output rack mount version, and a mate of mine has their RFI power strip in his pedal board.
Thanks Jakey, much appreciated! the cost was putting me off before :beer

DeVilleDude

+1 for VOLUME!

Every once in a while, I get to play w/ a couple horns in the mix, and that allows me to get my DeVille's volume control up around 5 1/2....you know, the way it's MEANT to be run.

Preacherofrock

Silver Supporting Member
Playing live! I have a steady band, and my rig is shaped to fit the right range to not be fighting the other guys ranges.

cwcashiniv

My rig sounds best when I just miss playing/have a big desire to play (which is 95% of the time). :aok

Seriously, there are times when you can't wait to get home from the office, or you're at that party that your friend threw and you don't really want to be there, but for 'political' reasons, you're attending, but all you REALLY wanna do is go home and plug in and crank up!

On a side note, my desire to plug in and jam has grown exponentially after having spent the cash on a great amp - my Jackson Britain 3.0. Wow, it was a "so THIS is what my guitar should sound like!" moment when I turned it on (and up!).

Guinness Lad

i have had it be the opposite, thinking why do I have this it's so bright, and bassy etc...then 30 minutes later I am over it. I really believe I should have used this as my criteria for keeping things far longer than i should have.

+1 for VOLUME!

Every once in a while, I get to play w/ a couple horns in the mix, and that allows me to get my DeVille's volume control up around 5 1/2....you know, the way it's MEANT to be run.
I have mixed feeling about this with my Deville. Although I enjoy being able to break it up at 5 with my SG, it seems like I should be getting more headroom for a 60W amp.

I think my rig sounds best at small venue, stage volume with some mild breakup, reverb, slight slapback and a Gibson SG.

Trending Topics