Your Pick: THE most vintage sounding od pedal currently available? (Clip Inside)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, May 14, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

2. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

There are plenty of pedals out there designed with the aim of getting the Marshall 18 watt sound. I don't know how close they come.

3. freaksho

freaksho Member

i don't have massive amounts of experience with OD pedals but my Box of Rock sounds the most like that of any i've tried, mostly because it retains that bright & lively top end. most others i've tried compress and smooth-out too much, which is better for leads and such imo.

the only downside of BoR can be the heavy low end as gain level increases.

4. enocaster

enocaster Member

Out of the OD's I've tried - a Xotic BB+, Barber BU, Addrock NSOY, Menatone KOTB, Butler RT, Bad Monkey, and Zim, the yellow and black Butler Real Tube gets closest to that sound.

5. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

There are a couple of Menatones- WMB and Foxy- which will get you into the ballpark, but alot of what you're hearing there is the speaker. Site doesn't specify whether it's the Emi Jack or Gov, but in either case there's some midrange going on which no preamp-level device is going to replace. Simple physics, really.

6. jamison162

I've tried the Foxy before and didn't like it at all, too sterile. My Plexidrive is close, but I'll probably try the BOR and decide from there.

Those clips must be the PJ, I think the 18 was a combo and it sounds way too open, bright and spongy to be the Guvnor. Which is good, cause I'm about to try some PJ's.

7. jamison162

Depends on the person. Is vintage tone desireable? You bet your knickers it is.

8. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

The Zendrive is as close as I need to get for what I do...ymmv

9. jamison162

Zen? There was nothing vintage sounding about the Zendrive, a far cry from the clip I referenced. Not even in the same ballpark.

10. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

Even though I don't understand why you would like that tone either, maybe this will help:
    http://olcircuits.com/olc_eighteen.html
    I own a Foxy Brown, and I think it sounds great, but it doesn't sound like (read: it's not as brittle/harsh as) either that Reinhardt's clip or the clip of the pedal that I just posted. However, most people that I know of think it's the best pedal for that 18-watt kind of sound. I've also tried a Plexidrive, Menatone KotB, OCD, and a Box of Rock in person. Though none of those, IMO, sound fully like an 18-watt, any of them can get somewhat in the ballpark of that tone depending on how you set them. The closest I've heard in a pedal (only in clip form, however) to the clip you posted is the link I posted. However, for my tastes, I'd rather have any of the others mentioned.

11. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

12. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

A lovepedal woodrow. No kidding! Just an amazing little box. I belive its some kind of controlled fuzz. My next bet would be a AM sunface nkt 275 or some of the dam pedals. The throbak ODB is very good too. Look into transistor pedals.

13. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I'm not a fan, but I'll bet the OCD v4 can get that sound. 'course, depends on the amp and guitar as well...

14. jamison162

Different strokes I guess. But that's some good vintage 18 watt tone man. That spongy open gritty vibe. Total 180 from today's modern high gain tones. I happen to like variety.

15. Paul Parrish

Paul Parrish Senior Member

Perfect example of a cranked tube amp....lot's of FIZZ.
    And then you hear all the local TGP suits complaining about "Fizz" in pedals.....hahhhh! Obviously don't have a clue that this "fizz" is what makes a guitar pop out in a track or in a live sitch...but then again, you have to RECORD and PLAY OUT to know that.

Paul

16. Uma Floresta

That clip was done without even an amp - just a cab sim into the computer. It'd definitely sound better going into a real amp.

I love OLC stuff, but I'm not interested in Marshall sounds, 18-watt or otherwise.

17. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

Lovepedal COT50 is a good marshall style overdrive pedal...good for classic rock and whatnot

18. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

Oh yeah me too man. That's why on my board you'll find three different overdrive pedals with varying gain amounts and tones. I would have added a KotB by now too if I'd had the cash.

19. Uma Floresta

The clip is a link from the Runoffgroove site, the people who designed the 18. They have some great DIY designs, but a lot of their soundclips are done straight to computer, for some reason. Dirt pedals really sound best in front of an actual amp, IMO.