Your pickup Picks

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fenderbender4, Jul 27, 2005.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

I'm looking for two humbuckers. The neck needs to provide a really great clean and a great sustaining distortion. The neck I would like to be Alnico V (not ceramic) that gets a good crunch and decent clean sound.

2. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Don't know which AlNiCo it is, but WCR Goodwood set fits your description... Well, maybe it's not sustaining "distortion," but it'll definitely push your amp into sustaining THICK overdrive.

Maybe the hotter Fillmore set would provide more "distortion?" Either way, WCR pickups are the best 'buckers I've found, and Jim's got a complete lineup from classic PAF to metal so I'm sure you could find one that would work.

Cost a few bucks more, but you get what you pay for. Ain't no pedal or amp I ever heard that could provide the missing link that Wagner's pickups brought to my tone. Heck, they even make cheap guitars sound far better than they ought to!

3. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

See my prior post on Jon Moore's ( rhonjon@sympatico.ca ) humbuckers. Killer pickups at a stoopid low price.

For off the shelf permiations, Dimarzio PAF Classics or Virtual Vintage PAF's are very good as are Duncan Seths & 59's.

Higher up the food chain, Lollar Imperials are stunning. The only WCR pickup I tried was a Goodwood in the neck of my tele. Nice pickup, but a bit too hot for me. I'd love to try Jims Darkbursts.

4. Nigel

Nigel Guest

That would be the Gibson Burstbucker Pro. I like WCR's quite a bit but the Burstbuckers are one of the best things to come out of Gibson in years, IMHO, and they definitely meet your requirements.

5. Joe57

Joe57 Member

I've mentioned these before HighOrder Pickups. These are great sounding pickups at a great price. I have not heard better - and I've tried a lot. Plus Jeff will work with you to get you the tone that you're looking for.

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

WCR.

End of the search for me. 1 year thus far, no regrets and not a second thought about another pickup. They are in all my guitars; and every one of them has something special. Jim has something very real, and very unique. No hype, no overstatement, no hyperbole. Just my opinion, my truth.

7. erksin

erksin Member

The WCR Fillmore has a lot of clarity and string definition (at least in my guitar), not what I would normally characterize as a 'distortion' pickup. It does however, sound killer...

8. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

My WCR darkburst neck pup is THE best neck pup I have ever had, and there have been many. It has the elusive hollow woody sound that just makes blues players nipples stand at attention!

I swapped the DB bridge for a goodwood and that is the sheet for me.
    This is in an R7.

9. alderbody

alderbody Member

10. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I will give a thumbs up too for WCR pickups, I just Installed the Black Magic pups Jim makes for RS Guitar Works into my PRS McCarty and they sound sound very good. If you like Dynamics and clarity even with distortion WCR will get you there!

11. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

WCR Goodwoods in my Thorn....end of story.

12. Tchello

Tchello Member

Lindy Fralin, his humbucker are simply the best ones!

13. Timster

Timster Member

I have some WCR Darkbursts and some Voodoo 59's. Both are good, but I prefer the voodoos.

14. Wally1

Wally1 Member

Another WCR fan here. I've tried Goodwoods, Shredders, and Fillmores all with excellent results. Jims pickups are great! I'm currently really diggin' the Fillmores in my McCarty.

15. granite

granite Member

Are the WCR Single Coils discontinued? I can't find a place to buy them. Any help would be appreciated.

16. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Those look pretty cool, what do they compare to? Any direct A/B comparisons?

17. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

from the Jim's website:

IMPORTANT: The SR Set has been temporarily discontinued. We'll let you know when we make them available.

18. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

+ 1 !

I have sets in both of my LP standards and love 'em.

I actually have a third set from a LP that I sold (put back the original 490/98) that I was originally going to sell...But...I changed my mind and have decided to keep them, just in case I pick up another twin humbucker guitar that may need 'em! (like maybe a special faded V!)

19. KRosser

KRosser Member

Fralins

Duncan Seth Lovers, Antiquities, '59's or JB (I think the JB is bridge only?)

Harmonic Design Vintage +