Your Rhythm and Lead ODs

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Last Nerve, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I could make an argument either way...

assuming you have a rhythm OD stompbox, and a lead OD stompbox..

what are do you put them in?
    rhythm >> lead?
    lead >> rhythm?

2. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

I tend to go lead into rhythm for a few reasons. I find that the last OD in the chain controls the tone where the one closer to the guitar basically varies gain, and I like mimicking the technique of hitting an already dirty amp with a boost/fuzz for leads.

3. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Yeah but if you put your lead boost in front of another OD, the boost is hitting the OD - not the front end of the amp. The last OD becomes the limiting factor. For that reason I always want a lead boost to be after all my OD's and closest to the amp. This also allows for a volume boost. A boost in front of an OD will just make the OD more distorted.

4. Simto

Simto Member

Rythm for me is either Keeley BD-2 or Fulldrive 2 and then i boost them with a TS-9, that's heaven for me.

5. gitfiddler

gitfiddler Member

Rythm- Barber Tone Pump green channel >> Lead- Barber Tone Pump red channel!

6. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

I'm running a Kaden Pavo Booster first and a GGG CB1 (LPB clone) last with all my other dirts/fuzzes/distortions between. Best of both worlds. :)

7. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Hi to Low - Lead > Rythm > Boost.

8. Spudman

Spudman Member

Amp<boost<TS9<either a DS1, Tonebone Hot British or BD2<guitar.
    I leave the TS9 on most of the time then either use the clean boost to make that sound louder for leads or kick in the DS1 etc. to get a smooter louder lead tone.

9. eric-d

eric-d Member

I like my fuzz units ( CI Octavian & MJM London Fuzz) before my overdrives/distortions. I use my volume on my guitar more and more now a days. It also depends on what amp I'm going through. I use all my dirts (excluding the Octavian) for both rhythm and lead. I also use my "Clean" Booster for both also. Sometimes for rhythm - I kick it on just make my part a little more pronounced. I also like rolling down my fuzz for a "clear" gritty rhythm. It all just depends.

10. slacker

slacker Senior Member

I use a number of variations...

guitar>overdrive for rhythm, turn guitar up full for lead

guitar>overdrive>boost

guitar>twin channel overdrive

11. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I like to use my OCD for rhythm and then put a Tubescreamer in front of it with the gain all the way down and volume boosted (tone knob varies) to boost it and get my lead tone. Sometimes I'll use my Tubescreamer for rhythm and then throw a treble booster in front of that for leads.

12. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

With Mesa LSC and Matchless Chieftain:

BB Preamp for crunch rhythm
    Barber Direct Drive for Smooth Lead

13. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I use several pedals to give my very clean amp sound (Super Reverb) different rhythm flavors and my Menatones do a great job sounding very much like the amps that inspired those pedals. For lead levels I then slam those with my LDO clone, FD2, Zendrive or 69 fuzz. Since I have the gain very low on my "rhythm" OD's I can get a real good volume boost from the "lead" pedal I'm using. This system has worked for me for the past 5 or 6 years and I don't see changing it (although if I do see a better way I easily would).

14. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

Fulltone GT500 distortion for my basic dirty tones, then the boost side for my lead tones.

I also have the OCD on my board after the GT500 so I can goose that with the boost side too. I set the gain on the OCD lower and this offers a med gain sound when I don't need so much crunch.

15. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Most of the time, my setup consists of setting a base OD (Silver Kiss MK1, Xotic BB Preamp, MI Audio Tube Zone) with one pedal and boosting it with either a clean boost or another OD pedal (Jetter Gear Gain Stage Blue, Silver Kiss, BB Preamp).

16. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I have put some thought about having a ts-9/eternity type pedal after my rythym pedals because it helps eq out some bass of the pedals on before it and push the mids but I have had the Blues Devil right after my wah for awhile and I use the Timmy for the post od boost. It seems to have worked ok like this for awhile and you know... when you use pedals in a particular order for awhile, you get used to the specific flavors you use and for me I just dont moveM around much.

Its a big hassle but because I have bought new pedals over the last 6 months and I really should pullM all off and experiment with stacking order and factor in my new amps.

17. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

There's still a volume boost with mine in front, and it's enough for what i'm doing.

18. amoodymule

amoodymule Member

Zinky Master Blaster for most solo's, sometimes for heavy drop tuning chuggin'
    OCD for rythms, harder edged
    BadMonkey for toned (not harsh)stuff or stack/add to the OCD, if the OCD is sounding harsh, depending on the song of course.

Songs like Robert Crays, Leave Well Enough Alone, I will use the OCD for the 1st solo, the the Zinky for the 2nd, hell some songs I have all 3 on with echo and/or wah.:D

19. RomanS

RomanS Member

Barber LTD for my rhythm OD (or low gain solos).
    Marshall ED compressor (with the compression set very low, and volume set above unity gain) in front of the Barber - for goosing the LTD when I need a bit more gain (rarely ever with my roots/country rock & rockabilly cover band); or the ED compressor by itself for punchy, yet clean solos...

20. 205

205 Senior Member

low gain > high gain > clean boost