Your Stereo Pedalboards. How do you split the signal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ClickTrack, Jan 31, 2012.

1. ClickTrack

ClickTrack Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I'm planning on running a stereo rig so I can play through 2 different amps live. I just ordered the TC Nova Delay. It has stereo ins and outs. My question is this: If I plug a single mono cable into it, and have 2 outputs (1 to each amp), will it send a signal to both amps when the Delay is bypassesd? I know it would work fine when I'm using delay, but when the Nova Delay is bypassed, will the signal still go to both amps?

If not, would I need to have some way of splitting the signal (so I can have 2 inputs going into the delay)? How do you guys do this?

Feel free to respond with pics! I want to see how you guys run stereo setups!

2. zurn

zurn Member

3. ringemaster

ringemaster Member

It should do it automatically for you. If it doesn't, get a buffer with an iso'd split. Maybe a used Axess BS2.

4. ClickTrack

thanks for your response! Do you run a mono signal into your ABY and split it so you can go into your stereo effects?

I have a Morley ABY, but when I use AandB, it cuts the signal in half to both outputs.

5. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

This is probably no help whatsoever, but I've run a stereo rig for years being the only guitar player in the band. I'd have one for stage left and one for stage right. I used a multi fx processor to run my left and right. I set the patches so I could choose left,right,both, or nothing. I had it setup to do some very cool stereo effects. I don't know if your into multi fx but it worked for me on the road for years.

6. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I use a TC Flashback and it sends signal to both outputs even when bypassed. That should work fine with the nova too.

7. ClickTrack

Thanks again for all your help. I'll double check once I get it, and if it doesn't work I'll look into a splitter. You guys are great.

8. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Should still pass both signals dry when the delay is bypassed.

PS: If rig has 60 Hz ground loop hum, plug everything into a GROUNDED power strip and then only lift the ground on one of the amps. Ground loops are caused by signal finding multiple paths to ground. Breaking only one of the grounds is still safe.

9. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

I've had great results running the Diamond ST-Mix last in my effects chain.

While the St-Mix provides panning and delay trail remains control for the wet out of my Diamond Memory Lane 2, it also acts as a great last-in-chain buffer to split the signal between two amps when running stereo.

In addition, you can choose between having transformer isolation on the right output, or having real-time foot-switching control over the phase relationship of the left and right outputs. I generally operate it in output isolation mode to help prevent ground loops.

http://www.diamondpedals.com/products/st_mix.html

10. Bufferz

Bufferz Member

11. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I think Bender makes a good point about using 2 amps - some will have the phase inverted, so you might need a phase switch. I would suggest trying it out with just the nova, but if you get some funky phasing effect, see if Dan from T1M will make you a small phase switch box to put after one of the nova's outputs.

12. jkokura

jkokura Member

I usually use a pedal that does the splitting for me. A chorus pedal or some delays will do this. Since most of the effects I use in stereo are chorus and delay, it seems to work fine.

Many pedals that do stereo in and out actually just sum the inputs to mono, put it through their effect, then spit it out in stereo, which sometimes is simply just two mono outputs though, so you have to be careful and look into whether it's summed or true stereo paths.

jacob

13. thesooze

thesooze Member

I go mono all the way until my Timeline- then stereo out from the TL to stereo in of the Hall of Fame, then stereo out to two amps.

14. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

As far as anything being out of phase goes, you want to make sure that when a note is struck, the speakers on both amps move outward first.
    If one amps speakers fire outward & the other fires inward, they are out of phase.
    To correct this you could put box w a phase switch like Heady Jam Fan suggested.
    You could also just flip the + & - wires going to each speaker on the amp whose speakers are firing inward.

15. zurn

zurn Member

The Lehle does all of those things, ground loop fix, phase inverter and is built like a tank.

16. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

I've done exactly as you want for a while now. Mono in and stereo out of nova to two amps. Works both wet and dry, and no hum or grounding issues. Works perfectly for me.

17. 3 chord me

3 chord me Member

Great thread. I'm going to try the TC Flashback for now. But, I could see a Lehle Little Dual in my future.