Your stranded on an island and can only bring 3 instructional guitar books

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ShaneOShred, Jan 23, 2012.

1. ShaneOShred

ShaneOShred Member

I just want to pick everyones brain and find out what everyones favorite guitar instructional books are to get some ideas for new books to grab. Enlighten me.

My top 3 are:

1. Soloing Strategies for Guitar-Tom Kolb
    -Best book for Scale Patterns and guides you through which scales to go through first.
    2. Solo Guitar Playing Series-Frederick Noad
    If your a classical guitarist I can't think of a better book. Great for sight reading and the songs are actually appealing to the ear (no "Mary Had A Little Lamb") :)
    3. Zen Guitar- Philip Toshio Sudo
    A Martial Art disciplined perspective on playing the guitar

2. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Guthrie Govans Creative Guitar 1 & 2. That'll keep me busy for awhile.

3. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

none!........... if im gonna be there a long time, i wanna spend it learning it inside and out.......... rather than learning quick and being bored for the rest of my island trip! haha

4. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

chord chemistry by ted greene
    actually, i would probably dick around on the island a few months and then kill myself if there was no hope getting off

5. HowardMusic

HowardMusic Member

Frederick Noad - that's a name from the past - I used to watch his PBS lessons when I was first starting out so many years ago ...

6. snouter

snouter Member

I gotta check that one out. I have Tom's Chord Progression book which is great. I also want to find his 60's Psychedelic Guitar video but it is difficult.

I just found this, and I guess not everyone knows that Blackmore explained the riff and it is not how Tom presents it here. It is finger picking the open D and G and snapping those strings while moving up using those middle 2 strings.

My personal favorite music theory instruction books are The Frank Gambale Technique Book I and II. It is funny because music theory can easily get a lot more complicated than it actually is and Gambale who invented the most efficient picking method actually presents the text in the same efficient way.

7. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Zen Guitar... I've been wondering about that one... anyone care to give a short review?

8. 66Park

66Park Member

The Advancing Guitarist - Mick Goodrick
    The Guitarist`s Guide to Composing and Improvising - Jon Damian
    Chord Chemistry - Ted Green

No worries about learning too quickly and being bored the rest of your life with those, mcdes. All three are lifetime projects with the ideas they'll spawn.

9. Volontaire

Volontaire Member

I'd only take one : "How to build a lifeboat with your guitar and three coconuts" by Angus Crusoe.

10. ShaneOShred

ShaneOShred Member

Nice! Picked up the Jon Damian book on your request good pick! Keep em coming

11. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Member

one that tastes like chicken, and a really thick one full of soft two ply sheets. And Chord chemistry by greene

12. CodeMonk

CodeMonk Member

One book.
    "How to Turn a Guitar Into A Raft".