Your though's of the Taylor T5????

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gpro34, Mar 11, 2006.

1. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Ok musicians what do you think? I hear such mixed reviews of this guitar it seems people either love it or hate it. What do you think??

2. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

I found it to be a great instrument for playing live, but I returned mine as I kept reaching for either my Taylor 712CE (for acoustic sounds) or my PRS Archtop (for electric sounds) when I was home. If you could have only one guitar, I'd recommend it - it's a killer instrument. In my case, it turned out to be sort of redundant in my studio.

3. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

I thought it was terrible. No volume or tone as an acoustic, and it has a flaccid electric sound too. It's a great idea, but bad execution.

I thought I would love it until I got into the store and played it...that's your only option.

4. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

Yeah, I'm interested in what people think of these. Who is buying them, and why? Isn't the T5 very similar to an Anderson that's been around for a while?

5. cSuttle

cSuttle Member

That guitar rocks. Both at the Summer and Winter Namm my son and I couldn't put them down. A definate player of an instrument.

6. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have pointed this out on other threads but they goofeed with the electronics. There is only one output that you send to a board or amp. The selctor switch chooses the pickup combination but that's it. You can't separate the acoustic pickup from the electric. The Godin Multiac Jazz has separate outs for the electric and acoustic pickups plus a 13 pin synth output. So you can run the electric pickup to a - I don't know, a Bruno UG 30 - and the acoustic pickup to either the PA or an acoustic amp. For the money, I would think Taylor would've thought of this. It's too bad as I like the Taylor's looks better and I know the Taylor is better built (Godins are great values but they have the odd rough edge.)

7. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

+1 the one I tried was terrible also, coulda just been a lemon though but at that price it better not be....

8. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I had great hopes for the T5 until we got some at the store. Nicely built, but the acoustic sounds were not up to par, nor were the electrics. The summed output was obviously an attempt to make it easy to plug-in to whatever amp, but I think anyone buying a guitar of this caliber is going to want/need discrete outputs. Of the hybrid guitars, my PRS Hollowbody II Artist Package Piezo eats it for breakfast in both the acoustic and electric arenas. Don't get me wrong; it's a nice guitar that just doesn't do either job well enough for the price (hence the love-hate response). Unconfirmed rumors have a Doyle Dykes Signature model in the works with three Strat-style singlecoils; this I would really like to see if it has dual outputs. Don't know if it'll ever make it out of prototype stage, but it could be a serious winner...-Eric

9. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I've never played one but get the impression from the buzz over it that it's like Windows 95: V1.0; a harbinger of better things to come; not there yet.

10. mosesblues

mosesblues Member

Have had oppty to play one in church service and on a few other occasions.

Pro's:
    Very nicely built (the one I played was the flamed koa top). Playability is exceptional for an acoustic, permits complex chords in higher neck positions without the need to clamp hard on the neck to do it. Five way switch allows for neat variation in tones available to you. Slim body holds like an electric for those who are most used to electric guitar as a primary instrument. Would be ideal for someone who needed tonal versatility, fine playability, and the ability to render acoustic-like and electric-like sounds on the fly - in a genre with rather clean tone requirements - without changing instruments.

Con's:
    I also found it odd that the acoustic pickups and electric single coil come out of the same jack. If you optimize for the acoustic tones, you don't have as useful a tone from the elec single coil -- and vice versa. Much better to have a dedicated jack for the acoustic pickups and the elec pickup as others have mentioned. Also, in it's best acoustic settings, it still does not sound as good as a well made full body acoustic being played through acoustic pickups. In its best electric setting, it still does not sound as good as a nice single coil electric.

Hope this is helpful.

Moses

11. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

Seems that the Godin or even the Hamer DuoTone would be a more versatile and convincing choice. Any owners of these out there to add comments?

12. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

After comparing it to my PRS Hollowbody I with Piezo, i concur.

They both do the piezo-y acoustic sound, but the PRS's electric sound is so much more toneful/more versatile. The T5 isn't even close in that aspect. Furthermore, the PRS HB has 2 independent and controllable outputs. The T5 doesn't.

13. Curly

Curly Member

I haven't tried one yet, but frankly, despite the fact that I like Taylors in general, the hype for the T5 was a bit much for me.

If you raise expectations that much, then you better deliver.

14. selahvie

selahvie Member

I actually own one and have had it now since June '05. I love the way it plays - a very quality instrument. While I liked the electric tones I was getting, I was however, dissatisfied with the acoustic sounds, so I modified it by adding a LR Baggs Element under saddle (like in the Tom Anderson Crowdster). I used the secondary strap button for the jack, and voila! I now have seperate control over the acoustic and the electric. I mounted the volume control in one of the F-holes and it's invisible until you stick your finger in the hole. I know you're thinking I'm crazy for doing this, but I love playing this guitar and decided it was worth "fixing". With my modification, I think it's the best and most versatile thinline acoustic out there (just MHO.) :) The Element is an amazing improvement sound-wise over the stock electronics (I've never been a fan of magnetic pickups for acoustic sounds) and I am getting some very useable electric tones out of it now (think '72 Tele Thinline) through my FDII Mosfet and Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I really love it as a live guitar, because it allows me to easliy switch from acoustic to electric and back, or even blend the two together without missing a beat. It works great for me.

Here's the guitar:

[​IMG]

Another:

[​IMG]

The Acoustic output:

[​IMG]

The Volume Control:

[​IMG]

15. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

that was about my reaction... if I needed one guitar to do everything, but nothing particularly well, I might think more of it.

16. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I'm glad I'm in the same boat as most of the guys here. Great concept, poor execution. After Taylor released some beautiful electronics on their acoustics like the Expression System, I thought the T5 would rock, but it fell short on both acoustic and electric tones.

The acoustic end sounded like a cheaper Parker piezo and the electric tones were very bland and uninspiring. Pretty cosmetics, nice smooth neck, nice balance, but the whole thing to this guitar was supposed to be the plugged in sound and versatility and it's just not working the way it should.

17. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I didn't like.

I really really really tried to like it....

I went back to my Taylor 810ce.

I'm actually looking to get a Crowdster, I hear they have much better acoustic tones than the T5.

18. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Nice job. There it is. An opportunity for an ingeneous fellow - selling complete wiring harness with pickups and separate outputs for a T5. This is a good idea because I love the look and feel of a T5.

19. gregc

gregc Member

Really, really nice variety of tones in one highly playable and good looking box. However, much to my chagrin, it doesn't replace ANY of my other guitars. It's just 'another' box of flavors. If you're looking for something 'different', here it is. I've got a feeling these are going to morph into better guits at a rapid pace. I'm in a holding pattern on these.
    gregc

20. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

I played a couple briefly. They play like Taylors, which I consider a compliment.
    At the end of the day I couldn't figure out what I might actually DO with a T5 that my other guitars can't do better already.