Your thoughts on 10" speakers with low-wattage amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PB Wilson, Feb 18, 2006.

1. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

I'm having a dual 6v6 amp built by John Nau and have to decide on speakers. I'm leaning heavily on the idea of a 2x10 cab loaded with an alnico Blue Pup and a Silver Ten. I like the sound of two speakers as opposed to one and the 10" alnico speakers should make for a reasonably lightweight package.

I noticed that many low-powered amps are paired with 10" speakers and was wondering why that is. Also, what might I be giving up using 10's as opposed to 12's?

2. Roe

Roe Member

perhaps a little less bass

3. ned911

ned911 Member

There is a sound clip here of my Champ through a Boogie 4x10 - only 1 speaker is mic'd.

I also use a Marshall 4x10 for gigs and really enjoyed the 2x10 of my Vibroverb reissue.

4. Reeek

Reeek Member

Personally, I don't think you give up anything.

I have a sweet Hi Mu 7 watt "Super Champish" head that I had been playing through an Avatar 2x12 loaded with Weber California 12's. It sounds incredible.

But, I decided to try a 2x10 a few months ago and went with an unloaded www.jdesigncabs.com cab. I installed a pair of 30 watt Weber alnico Blue P'ups in it. I installed 30 watters because I have other higher powered amps I use it with.

Wow! What a fantastic tone this amp has through that cab. With a Guitar plugged straight into that amp through that cab, I'm in sonic heaven. There is something very raw and vintage about the tone. It is smooth and detailed.

Of ocurse the 2x12 will yield more bottom but the 2x10 gives nothing away in the form of bottom in it's own way either. Less boomy for sure.

I've found that the 2x10 cabs I have work more often with any guitar, humbuckers or single coil where my 2x12's tend to like one or the other.

There is a fantastic mid range equilibrium to the 2x10 cab but with a nice mid-low bottom without any high range exageration. I am willing to call it perfect in many respects.

Unless you're into one type of tone that can only come from 12's, I encourage you to give a 2x10 a try for your lower powered amp for sure.

I like this 2x10 so much (it's 8 Ohm) I bought another JDesign 2x10 that I loaded with two Weber 10F150s for my 4 Ohm amps. It's killer.

But I also bought a 2x12 JDesign and loaded it with a Weber 12A125 and a 12F125 for my Bassman head. I now have two 2x10's for every head I own and two 2x12's and honestly, at home, I plug into the 2x10s far more these days. They've become my favorite cabs lately.

5. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

ned911- Cool stuff! I've known that Champs are really great amps and are not just for practice. Your clip definitely proves that.

Reeek- I guess you really like 10"ers! With so much of the speaker market focused on 12" speakers, and 10"s found mainly in practice amps, I was subconsciously getting the feeling that they are not quite as good. Glad to see that you and others think they stand up and can even offer something different.

I appreciate the responses. Thanks!

6. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I greatly prefer using 10" speakers. I have a 2x10 combo, a 4x10 cab, a 2x12 cab, and a 4x12 cab. I always go for the 2x10 combo and the 4x10 cab first.

I've been using 10"ers with low-watt (18/20W) amps for well over a year now and wouldn't do anything else. Best sound for them IMHO. Of course, I use the 4x10 with my 50W amps too!! :) FWIW, I used a Marshall 2061X and 65Amps London w/my 4x10 cab, and now I have a 65/London 2x10 combo.

I'm digging the Eminence 10"ers right now - Ramrod and Copperhead. I have some Jensens that are excellent as well - nice & bright, but I put the Eminence in because I like a bit more midrange and low-end thump from my speakers (whatever the size).

--chiba

7. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

I would like to have a deep, 2X10 "recto-style" cab with some of Southbays' "Greenback" 10's or a 1965B with the same speakers.....
    BT

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I think the small cabinet, single 10 approach really hampers any amp.
    A well matched 12 is much better.
    However, your choice of 2/10 (and up) is OK, again.

9. Boogs

Boogs Member

I'm using a Ramrod in my Goblin 5/15 and it sounds pretty damn big for a 1x10. It doesn't thump, but it's full and 3D sounding...great speaker. :JAM

10. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

I build Deluxes with 2-10's and they are way better than a single 12 for bottom end.The tone can be quite rewarding and as a previous post says,they are good with a number of different guitars.
    I will never go back to the single 12 for a Tweed Deluxe.

11. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I don't think it's a question of giving up anything. Both formats, 1x12 and 2z10, sound great. 12s have a wonderful roundness with many of the low wattage amps I like. But then the multiple 10s work so well live, it's very hard to not bring such an amp up on stage. They respond very quickly to touch and dynamic change, have a tight, punchy presence, especially in the bass, and seem to project perfectly in small-medium size rooms.

I get dizzy going back and forth on 12s and 10s. Every time I conclude 10s are it, end of story, I plug into another single 12 classic (two current favorites are a Gibson GA40 and old Magnatone), and realize there is no one best thing.

12. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I know Bogner made a small amount of 2x10 Shiva's. There are a few (not many that I know of) 2x10 EL84 Shiva versions. Would love to get my hands on one of them. Or maybe better would be if Bogner releases a 2x10 combo of the Duende! I would have bad gas........

13. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

I'm a recent 10" convert as well, and the above comments are pretty much true in my experience. I'm a stickler for a bass response that isn't boomy, and the 10" really takes care of that, and cuts nicely in a band situation. I used to only really use 12"s but began to find, as I tried different amps, that my favorites used 10" speakers. YMMV...

14. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

A 2x10 can have plenty of bass. It depends very much on the cabinet design. I used to have a closed-back Lexicon SB210 cabinet that sounded huge. Of course, it was also physically large and very heavy...

My Reverend Goblin's 1x10" doesn't sound as full as the big 2x10 did, but that's comparing apples to oranges. The Goblin has a tiny open-back enclosure. Still, it's not bad.

Go for it. :)

15. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

I bought this 4x10 really small but extremely deep old Sovtek with 4x10's sounds awesome much better than my 2x12.'s

16. johnny b

johnny b Member

If a 10 is awesome and a 12 is bottom-end power, combining them must be close to nirvana.

I have a Gibson Super Goldtone cabinet, 2 10" open-back Celestions on top, 2 12" Celestions closed on bottom. Mamma Mia! For a production cabinet, the sound is absolutely unreal. Has that upper-mid complexity you only get from 10's with the punch and bottom of the 12's. Really neat.

Gibson makes the 30 watt Super Goldtone el84 combo with one 10 and one 12 open-back, you see it on ebay every now and then, probably worth its weight in gold if you want awesome vintagey sound combining the two speakers.

www.madsound.com makes some real amazing looking cabinets and uses the detuned philosophy of Kevin from London Power, they look awesome, but madsound's currently on sabbatical from building according to the website. Sweet cabs, though, and a great idea.

17. Reeek

Reeek Member

JDesign Cabs do a 10/12 hybrid cab too.

18. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I have a Fenton Basic 110 amp, 2-EL84 cathode biased, with a 10" Alnico Tone Tubby. Great sound. The TT is just dark enough to crank out plenty 'o bass, but the 10" size has the snap that I love.

I also have a 1-10" Mad Sound detuned cab loaded with a '70s Fane ceramic. Great smooth classic tone. I may eventually look in to replacing this speaker with a Scumback 10.