Your thoughts on the PRS Standard 22

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Killcrop, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I've been a big fan of the SG but being a Les Paul player I can't get used to the feel of the SG. I had this thought to check out the PRS website and found the Standard 22. I thought it would be very cool to have a STD 22 with a wide fat, Vintage 2 tone burst and just for kicks a trem. Perhaps the McCarty wiring as well.

What do you think a guitar like that would sound like? I never found the maple top 22 or 24 to be fat enough for me. Would all Mahogany do the trick?

I'd like to hear from those of you who own the Standard along with a Les Paul/SG. Thanks!

2. matte

matte Senior Member

had a few. a whole hog cu22 trem is a killer guitar.

3. Alistair6

Alistair6 Member

its definately a different beast than a les paul or sg.. all i can say is play it..

4. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I've always found the Standards to be a little warmer sounding then the Customs. They are killer guitars.

5. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Wonderful, versatile instrument (mine's with the 5-way). The mahogany imparts a warmer tone than the maple topped Cu22, as you would imagine. I tried to like the Dragon 2 pickups, but ultimately found happiness with a pair of S-Ds.
    [​IMG]

6. kselbee

kselbee Member

I have a standard 22 satin (no trem though) and it's a tone machine. The pickups are not super hot, but it is a really rich warm tone and it's pretty mid heavy. It's the best recorded tone I've ever gotten. I've never owned an SG so I can't compare the 2, but I'd just say try out the PRS, I think you'll love it.

7. guitarstan

guitarstan Member

I had an SG in the late 60's, nice guitar but didn't suit me as well as a Les Paul. I've played Lesters most of my life, I like a solid guitar that stays in tune. Now adays I play a lot of big neck Strats when I want a single coil. If I need a Humbucker I'll reach for my Gibby 336, Les Paul or if I wanna look purty I'll wear one of my PRS's, either a McCarty Rosewood neck or a Hollowbody McCarty w/Dragon II's which sound awesome in that guitar. I have a custom 22 w/triple P-90's that is very cool too and sounds great but is prolly too bright for your taste, maple neck and single coil P-90's, it's a screamer tho.

8. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I've had my Standard 22 Gold Top for 12 years. That guitar has been my #1 the whole time. A lot of other guitars have come and gone but that one is a mainstay. I'll never sell it because it can do multiple styles, sounds fantastic and looks great.

9. MatZen

MatZen Member

Like the guitars - hate the switching. The 5 way rotary is not user friendly for me!

10. Miles

Miles Member

Well....

I used to HATE PRS guitars. I thought they were for cock rockers with shaved heads and big muscles.

That was ignorance.

I picked up a Satin Soapbar Singlecut in vintage cherry the other day at the shop. It had some Lollar P-90s in it from the previous owner.

I noodled around and went home.

I came back the next day after waking up 5 times during the night thinking about that damned PRS!!

It's at home now...and it's a keeper. I sold 2 mediocre guitars and a mediocre amp to get it, but it was well worth it and I'm very happy. It's a very fine guitar.

I like it a LOT better than gibsons these days. I've owned 7 or so gibsons throughout, but this one takes them all down.

I say GO FOR IT, or at least try it first.

11. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I think it is definitely not a Les Paul or a Tele, therefore sub-par by any standards.

12. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Thread resurrection - I LOVE my Standard 22 platinum!!!! It's my go-to guitar. I wish I had 4 more just like it. :)

13. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Yes all mahogany should fatten up the tone.

14. detroiter711

detroiter711 Member

I miss seeing the Standards (22 and 24s) in the PRS line up. The Standard 22 was a great guitar. Basically, the Mira kind of replaced it, but I really like the original body design with the 22 fret neck.

15. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Wow this is an old thread. I have a McCarty Korina that I get my "Standard" fix from but would love to have a trem. The DGT Standard would probably be the ticket.

16. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

All mahogany guitars, are all I currently play. I've had my Standard 22 for ten years. I did replace the 5-way switch, with a 3-way. The guitar sounded great with the 12k Dragon II's. But, it sounds even better with lower output pickups (Starla's), for what I play.

[​IMG]

17. brado

brado Member

FYI, most think all standards are all mahogany, when in fact some had maple caps,most notably Gold tops and some blacks.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  18. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Back in the early PRS days ('85 - the mid-late 90's), the catalog listed the Standard as the all mahogany guitar that we know (and love!), with the option of a maple cap in opaque black or gold-top.
    I once sent an e-mail to PRS asking what exactly the difference was between my '94 Standard 22 gold top and a Custom 22. The response was, "no difference, other than the opaque colored top vs. a transparent stain."
    These incognito Customs were also had at a considerable cost savings over those labelled as 'Customs'. The practice was soon dropped, probably for the confusion it caused, and later Standards were defined exclusively as all mahogany.

Updated since I last posted on this thread years ago - I modded my St22 to get rid of the 5-way switch and it now houses a 3-way toggle (no coil tapping options - just straight up rock! :dude) and a set of Tom Short's Tombucker pickups.

Of my 3 gigging PRSs, the St22 is the favorite - that all mahogany body really lends itself to the thinner body of the PRS guitar - think Gibson SG.

I've got Tom Short's humbuckers in all of my main PRSs - McCarty, St22, and SC245.

19. standard24

standard24 Member

The all mahogany body makes this guitar sound awesome through a clean amp.

20. THebert

THebert Member

Wow, since this thread started, PRS has discontinued and recently reinstated the Custom 22. No Custom 22 standard in the current lineup, though (that's the all hog version).

Personally, I like a cu22 just fine, but I like a McCarty much better.