Your top three must-know rock/metal riffs from the 80's on...

Oldschool59

What are your top three licks from the era? Not complete songs, not solos, just the coolest riffs; in your opinion, must-know pieces of musical history.

Mine (without too much thought into it):

-Into the void intro (Soundgarden, not the Sabbath version)
-Ain't talking about love intro (VH)
-Always on the run intro (Lenny Kravitz, okay, I admit, there's something very cool about this open E riff)

What are yours?

TheGuildedAge

Kind of an odd question for me. I don't like covers and feel the first step towards being creative is stepping away from what others do. If you were into singer songwriter stuff, I would say there is no need for you to study hard rock "just because."

On the other hand, I think being a well rounded musician means having versatility, knowing "a little bit of all of it" as B.B. King once said.

However, if I were to look at English, I could see where there are certain books I just feel everyone should read. So I get your point.

So, long winded intro aside, here's my three for fun:

1. Crazy Train intro
2. Sweet Child O' Mine intro
3. Master of Puppets intro

My original choice was Eruption, but then I realized that was 78.

EDIT: How could I have forgotten "Mean Street?" Damn it.

sods

South of Heaven - Slayer
Bad Penny - Big Black
Then Comes Dudley - the Jesus Lizard

Intro bits for all the above.
I assume we're using 'Rock/Metal' to cover 'slightly aggressive electric guitar music', right?

Turi

From the '80s onwards, or just from the '80s?
I'ma assume '80s onwards because Lenny Kravitz.

I'm Not Okay - My Chemical Romance
All The Small Things - Blink182
American Idiot - Green Day

Three must know pieces of musical history right there.

micycle

I'm keeping it to the 80s! And more personal taste than historical..

"I Don't Believe In Love" intro - Queensryche. A cool departure from power chords and riffs
"Satch Boogie" intro - Satriani
"5150" (all of it, too hard to pick a favorite riff) - Van Halen

Berlin Chris

80s Riffs. Guilty pleasure stuff comes to mind:
Rock you like a hurricane - Scorpions
Paradise City - GnR
White Wedding - Idol/Stevens
Unchained - VH
Sad but true - Metallica
Gods of War - Def Leppard
Cowboys from Hell (ok, that is already 90s, right?) - Pantera

If we're doing "1980s and beyond" as I believe the title suggests, then I'll throw in three "must know" riffs from my formative years. (At least in the circles I ran in...)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BONUS ROUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yer Blues

Since thread title states "80s on...." and I started playing guitar in the mid 90s, I will go with some of what I remember my friends and myself starting with.....

Smells Like Teen Spirit (obvious choice.. haha)
Killing in the Name ("dude.... you take the low E string and make it match the D string.....)
Man in the Box (as soon as someone got a wah we were all trying to do the "na na na na na na na na na" part that matched the vocal line)

Oldschool59

Now, where's my guitar?!

This is exactly what I was looking for! Great riffs, everybody! Keep'em coming...

PS: Didn't realize «Ain't talking about love» was from the late '70s. My bad. I'll leave it here, just because I can... ;-)
PPS: My question covers periods from the 80's onwards, so 90s are OK (even encouraged...)

Trending Topics