Your truly classic pedals: the ones that keep you enamored for years

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vanguard, Feb 6, 2012.

1. vanguard

vanguard Member

no honeymoon or hype pedals here. I'm talking the pedals you've grown to love and find indispensable for one year or more. with the capricious nature of TGP, i think it would be interesting to hear from members what pedals they consider true classics.

BOSS VB-2: inimitable, true vibrato. no excessive noise, rock solid, and totally unique. nothing comes close. i've used them off-and-on for over 5 years.

MXR script Dyna Comp: the greatest boost pedal i've ever played. it gives you more of what you have, just a bit fatter and tightened up (what the klon was supposed to do. . .). the fact it's a great compressor is just icing on the cake. used them for over 5 years.

Menatone top boost in a can
    : my oldest pedal (since 2002, 10 years!). this pedal nails the vox thing from the clean jangle to the complex, chiming gain. tons of output for great boosting, a super powerful and unique EQ section, etc. hit it with a great boost and you get singing Brian May (just like a real VOX) truly my classic overdrive.

BOSS TU-2/3: my favorite tuner. no frills, unbreakable and always dependable. the TU-3 is the pedal that does its job so well you forget it's even down there. killer buffer too. used for about 10 years.

Ibanez (maxon) AD80 (original 80's)
    : the best delay i've ever played. the repeats have a muscle to them that no other delay has. plus, it ever so slightly boosts your signal when engaged which was really helpful live. used over 5 years, though i don't have one right now:huh

well, those are, IMO, the greatest pedals ever made.

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Deluxe Memory Man, Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1, and Maestro Boomerang Wah. Those are the three that have stuck around, all three have vintage quirks that are annoying, but all three do something other stuff can't so here they stay.

3. Socrates

Socrates Member

VB-2 - Just play one. It speaks for itself.

Klon Centaur - I've been around the overdrive world and this is still top of the heap for what I'm looking for. I have klones now, but have an original Klon on the way now. It won't be leaving like the first.

Creepy Fingers Doomidrive - Perfect balance between boost and fuzz. Cleans up better than anything else I've tried and it makes a fantastic bass fuzz as well.

Sonic Research ST-200/ST122a - Solid and precise tuners.

Early 2000's Deluxe Memory Man - Never heard a better delay pedal. A bright analog delay with the best modulation section in a delay ever made.

Exception to the one year rule:
    Subdecay Spring Theory - I know this just came out, but when you know you know. Everything one could ask for from a spring reverb pedal emulation. Ask me about it in a year...I'll say the same thing mark my words.

4. Hecube

Hecube Senior Member

Dean Markley Overlord.

As far as distortion pedals go, I haven't found anything more satisfying than that. I've been using it since 1996 non-stop.

I'm having it modded right now so that I can control the gain with an Ernie Ball volume pedal and I miss it!

5. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

Analogman ARDX20 - the ardx20 is everything I ever wanted in a delay. It has not budged at all since being added to my board well over a year ago and I have zero interest in looking at other delays.

Orange Squeezer (I have a ggg one that is excellent) - The Orange Squeezer has the hallmark of the best compressors I've used, you can't tell when they're on until you turn them off. It adds just a bit of color, grit and compression and never feels like a compressor.

Analogman KoT - had one for 3 years and sold it in a financial pinch. I'm on the waiting list again. Absolutely worth the wait. Best craftsmanship I've seen in a pedal.

6. chervokas

chervokas Member

Turbo Tuner, FD2, Supa Trem, Mojo Vibe, Java Boost, Mr. Springgy, blue analog Echodrive (which I don't have but which remains the best delay "pedal" I've ever heard or played), Keeley modded Tubescreamer

7. Porrig

Porrig Member

EHX Big Muff - been using the same one since 1978.

8. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

These pedals aren't on my board but will always be lying within reach of my amp: Boss Ce-1, EHX microsynth, EHX electric mistress

9. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

10. más_fuerte

más_fuerte Supporting Member

- EHX Deluxe Memory Man
    - Fulldrive II (non-mosfet)
    - Boss TU-2
    - Ernie Ball VP Jr.

11. d3nzi0

d3nzi0 Member

MI Audio Crunch Box and TC Electronic Nova Delay.

12. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Big box DMM. That's about it.

13. cam.man67

cam.man67 Member

Boss TU-2. Indestructible.

14. tzamosti

tzamosti Silver Supporting Member

Some of the same as previously mentioned, but for me, it's: Telenordia TA-100, Klon Centaur, BJFE Folk Fuzz (FF), Ibanez AD-80, Antelope Morning Dew Buffer/EQ and BJFE PGC.

These have been my go-to tone classics! I don't see them going anywhere...

Honorable Mentions go to: Boss DM-2, Boss VB-2 and Turbo Tuner.

Likely one's to stick around: Frantone Vibutron and PTD Mini-Bone.

15. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

Fulltone Octafuzz - Most versatile pedal I own.
    Boss PH-2 - No classic phase sounds, does tangerine dream style phasing and had for 8 years.
    GCB-95 crybaby - 8+ years, made true bypass + LED. Tried RMC, fulltone before and like this one better.
    Early 90s rat - it's a rat.
    Boss DM-2 - my first delay

16. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

Hot Cake, Boss VB-2, Ibanez AD80, Menatone Top Boost in a Can.

17. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

:nono I WILL NEVER SELL MY TIM PEDAL!!!!!!

18. groovington

groovington Member

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but my '81 ts-808 hasn't been on my pedal board for a year yet, but it will probably stay there for ever. My '82 ts-9 feels like it may be that way too, but I'm currently trying some clones to see if it can be replaced, however, I am doubtful. I used to think my Keeley ts9+ would never leave the board, but the orginal ts-9 kicked it off easily. Also, others that are keepers are the Fulltone SupaTrem and H&K Rotosphere mkII. I also recently put my DejaVIbe2 back in the chain and now wonder why I ever took it out! And lastly, depending on my needs, I will either always use my Keeley 2-knob compressor or my Ross comp depending on the needs of the gig.

19. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

TC Electronic: BLD, XII, SPE, SCF. Blackstone OD

20. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

I so totally agree with Hulakatt on these choices. The ARDX 20 is everything I need in a delay and more. Always inspirational. I love my Analog.Man Orange Squeezer and KOT as well.

Most recently, for me, the SubDecay Proteus has been more than inspiring. Best E. Filter I've had the pleasure to play or own. Kills the old DODs. Totally musical. So easy to trigger with pick attack, very mutron sounding. My ARDX20 and proteus through my Budda TwinMaster, is hours of fun. Has been all weekend.