• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Your very first electric rig

hubberjub

My first two electrics don't count (in my mind). First was a Series 10 Strat copy that was stolen not long after I purchased it (by the dude I bought it from). My second electric was an Epiphone flying V with a factory single locking Floyd Rose. The bridge pulled out of the body soon after I bought it. Epiphone reimbursed mu purchase price, and I applied it to what I consider my real first electric guitar, a new 1993 Gibson Les Paul Studio. Other than that, my rig consisted of a DOD American Metal distortion, and a late '60s Gibson Duo Medalist amp. I wish I still had that amp.

DeVilleDude

My first electric rig from the mid seventies: Univox Hi Flyer (black)>Univox Super Fuzz>Univox 112 ss combo, all bought new as a set. Doobie Bros. China Grove was a big hit, and I remember trying to dial in that tone on the Super Fuzz.

TheHankering

Electra workingman (as far as I can tell, made of buttwood)

into an "old" (nowclassic 808) tubscreamer

into a blackface princeton

eventually got one of those 18v pink ibanez delays

that was my "rig" for years - the princeton is hooked up to my wife's rhodes now

the rest lost to time

man, I miss that

Oinkus

Don't think any of the stuff I played through at first even counts as amps ? A crappy stereo I rigged a RCA to 1/4" and into the back of a 60s Wurlitzer organ.First guitar was a family purchase for everyone,late 50s Silvertone acoustic out of the Sears catalog and then I got a Univox Hi-Flier that I gave away to a friend which we played through those things that weren't amps as loudly as possible.

GA20T

Fender Japan '62 Custom Tele I bought used at a shop for $450 (in the early '90s), and a master-volume silver face Twin Reverb a friend of my parents was kind enough to offer me on long term loan (weighed only slightly less than I did then).

26 years on, and my main rig is a very similar setup (amps break up more, bias trem), but I added a Jazzmaster ≈ ten years back. Not my pics, but a 1:1 representation:

Last edited:

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
A National LPC clone into a stereo. Then a 1966 Rick 360/6 into a mid 70's SFPR. Then to parts unknown...

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
My first was a Zim-Gar with a terrible bowed neck, going into a ‘Sound’ combo amp with reverb, tremolo and a 15” speaker.

The guitar was similar to this:

Ironically, I have a Teisco (who made Zim-Gar also) and it plays great, but a lot of work had to be put into it and the neck started out straight. It's the yellow one, below.

I've only seen one Teisco with a neck that had those '6th-string-markers' that played even decently, and it was an absolute shredder... but someone before me put a TON of work on that one. Fastest (but flat) neck I've ever played. It was just insane.

Here's an old pic...a WG3L, iirc
It's out there in the wild, somewhere. I sold it in the 2008/2009 debacle.

Last edited:

zztomato

Mann LP copy and a Traynor amp. That was 1978. By 1980 I had a 68 goldtop and 50w Marshall and late 60's 8×10 cab. F'n loud and awesome.

gpasq

A 76 Walnut colored Fender Strat with a maple neck, a Peavey Deuce of the same rough vintage, and a boss chorus pedal

plaidbeer

After realizing my parents would never let me have a proper drum set at the age of 10-11 (as I tore through the drum set with paper heads given to me a couple of years earlier), they bought me a cheap black Arbor Explorer-style guitar and a small Crate amp from Haymaker's, our local music store.

I quickly became frustrated because I couldn't make the sounds I heard on records (what, why I can't make those sounds like The Police, Van Halen, Saga, and Aldo Nova?) and the amp had no distortion, and well, I could play Pretty Woman and Magic (The Cars) and that was about it. I wanted to rock, but no rock was to be had, so I switched to synths a couple of years later and did that for the next 20+ years.

ifallalot

Silver Supporting Member
93 MIM Squier Strat (still have it, although it had a different pick guard and pickups back then)

This awful amp

And these

I then upgraded to this

Trending Topics