• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

your very first guitar

Bankston

Some kind of acoustic POS my parents bought for me from a department store called Gemco when I was 8 years old.

My first electric was a step up . . . a Harmony LP copy from the JC Penney catalog.

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
I had an Aria acoustic. It wasn't too bad IIRC. That was when I was just out of high school, and I don't remember what ever became of that guitar. I probably traded it in on a Gretsch Chet Atkins Tennessean that I bought when I became more serious about playing.

HugalosPizza

My first was a black Cort Les Paul copy. Had a bolt-on neck and someone put some crappy looking tuners with spider buttons on it. A couple of the mother of toilet seat inlays were missing, making for a faux-scalloped feel. Piece of crap. I paid $40 for it from a friend of a friend. Do wish I still had it, but I traded it to another friend for a guitar that ended up not being his. When I went by his house to get it back, his sister let me in his room and he had completely disassembled it. I got it back, sanded the finish off the top because my best friend had already gotten me enamored with Paul Kossoff and his sanded Les Paul. Probably more than anyone wants to know.....or will read.

S. F. Sorrow

63 Harmony Bobkat. Wish I wouldn't have smashed it. Glued back together and sounds as awful as the day I got it (late 60s). They are getting pricey because of St Vincent.

madspirit

$45 pawn shop acoustic with crap action. Smoked a lot of weed/dropped a load of acid, played drone jams. Saved some dough, got better and bought a first year Fender Bullet Deluxe. Good times.

The one one the right. 87' E-series MIJ Strat, still have it and with the Tropical Fish capacitors in it, it actually sounds really good with stock pickups.

Soapbarstrat

Fender lead II. Wish I still had it, knowing what I know now. The finish was so thick, I think it was part of why the damn thing sounded so dead acoustically.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
It was the most low end Teisco imaginable, very similar to the ones Jon Spencer plays. It was a POS. I smashed it Townshend style.

bgh

Silver Supporting Member
My first was back in 1969/1970 - A sparkle green, 4-pickup monstrosity that I bought from Lafayette Electroncis for $49. I was still mowing yards at the time (average about $3 per yard), so I had to mow a number of yards to save up for it. Horrible action, and it sounded even worse. But it was "mine". To this day, I have no clue as to where that guitar ended up.

pennylink

My first acoustic was a Framus Texan (made in the heart of Bavaria):

My first electric: Eko 300 (made in Italy) like this one:

s2y

GTX bolt-on Les Paul copy. Good tone very poorly plained fingerboard and poor fretjob. I tend to obsess about the quality of the fretjob because of this guitar.

Fenderesq

Fender lead II. Wish I still had it, knowing what I know now. The finish was so thick, I think it was part of why the damn thing sounded so dead acoustically.

Same here---fender lead II. My finish completely checked after a car--to--winter conditions outside--to--dorm room. Only guitar I ever sold. Aside from what some people are now paying for them on eBay, I can't really say I miss it though at the time I thought it was an awesome guitar.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
1986-A Harmony, 3 Tone Sunburst Strat. My Uncle & Aunt bought it for me when I was 12, when I had knee surgery. It was a "get well soon" gift. The action was about 2" off the board. I believe it was 3/4" scale. I had a very love/hate thing with that guitar.

I played the **** out of that thing. Learned to tune it by ear listening to Led Zeppelin and The Cure. Taught myself (wrongly) "Whole Lotta Love" and "Boys Don't Cry" (again, wrongly if I remember correctly). Took lessons for 3 moths and thought "Why I'm I paying this pot head/tweaker to teach me guitar? He's just teaching me AC/DC songs. I can learn this **** on my own." And I did. I spent hours hammering away on that thing.

I bought my first "real" guitar after that about 6 months later- and Epiphone "Fat" Strat of some kind- this was like '87 or so.

Plugged that sweet thing into a Peavey Rage (first amp).

Funnily enough the same Aunt and Uncle bought my my first ever FX unit- the very first Zoom units that first came out. It was this Walkman size/looking device that's selling point was you could hand it on your strap and change FX on the fly.

Ah.... memories....

sonicspackle

My story is sad. My first guitar was a 1957 Fender Duo Sonic that I received from my grandpa as a teenager (this was the late 80's). About 3 years later, I loaned it to my uncle. His house was robbed and the guitar was stolen.

One very much like this.

Action? It could have doubled as a cheese slicer.

-db
Same here- only mine was a green into black burst.

My uncle had left it at my grandparents' house- they gave it to me.

Same action.

My first decent guitar was a Carlos brand acoustic- I wish I hadn't sold it.

My first electric was a Kalamazoo Strat type thing. That was about as awful as the Stella.

My first bass that I owned was my EB-0. Still have that.

Trending Topics