Your Views on one of the most underrated...VT-40 4x10 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by analogkid1974, Jun 26, 2008.

1. analogkid1974

analogkid1974 Member

Hey y'all. I wanted to here from anyone that had anything to say in regards to the Ampeg VT-40. It seems, in this day and age of rediculously expensive "boutique" gear, there is still some gems to be found. IMHO, this takes the cake. However, that being said, they can be hit and miss. In fact, it would also be cool to here some your mods, speaker choices, tubes etc. Reason being, I've had a couple which, though sounding great distorted, didn't sound great clean. So, let's here it for the ventilator. Look forward to anything anyone has to say.

2. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp Member

I've never owned one but a friend of mine did, and I messed with it a few times. The main thing I remember was that it weighed 238759823 pounds. The tone was pretty awesome, pure QOTSA. This was a master volume model; I'm not sure what the non-MV models would be like (probably uselessly loud as opposed to just ridiculously loud). He wound up getting rid of it in favor of a 4x10 and a V4 head because of the weight/portability issues. All in all, a pretty rad amp, though not really my style.

3. buchla300

buchla300 Member

LOUD! Great clean and if you dared go anywhere near full, you get some great crunch, but mine was just too loud to be practical. Big reverb sound too.
    Lovely amps

4. analogkid1974

analogkid1974 Member

5. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Fortunately, mine only weighs 92 pounds . . .

6. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

There's actually plenty of love for VT-40s around here and the topic does come up from time to time. This was my first amp, back in 1972, and I've loved the VT-40 since then. Mine, unfortunately, was stolen before I'd owned it a year. Took a long time but I eventually got another one about 4 years ago. Packs a whallop alright. But even at relatively low volumes the cleans are outstanding and it takes pedals really well.

:BEER

7. swa

swa Member

I love mine, non-mv is the way to go IMHO.
    My favorite reverb ever!:BEER

8. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

Big herniated love from slipbeer.

If I was good enough to have roadies, I'd have one for my hotel suites.

Great tone monster.

9. analogkid1974

analogkid1974 Member

It is strange though, I've owned and played a couple. They both broke up too son for my taste. Everyone talks about how they are these crazy clean headroom beasts. I wished that was the case when I owned them. However, I have a V-2 head and a Dr Z 4-10 cab that has the chimy-est tone and crazy headroom. The bass response is insane. Didn't feel anywhere the same w/ the VT-40 combo (though I wantedthe combo to sound the same). Don't know, maybe Dr Z cab speakers are the reason or that they are wired a certain way. The combo and head are supposed to be the same. So, shouldn't they have sounded the same?

10. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

No, there's no reason to think they'd sound the same through different speakers/cab. Those two factors can totally alter the sound.

11. kingwatt

kingwatt Member

While being a really great sounding amp and an excellent "sleeper" amp they have a very busy and moderately complex preamp..and that supports my theory that they do have a little problem with guitars sounding a bit Generic through them. If you have really nice pickups either single coils or humbuckers that have a lot of complexity and or a real nuanced sound...the V-amps tend to cover that up a bit and sort of make all your guitars sound the same. That would be my only real complaint, A little character of the guitar gets lost in the translation. Then again everyones ears are different so your results may vary.

12. Timinator

Timinator Supporting Member

I had a mid '70s. Great tone but so friggin heavy you wouldn't believe it. Like 85 pounds heavy.

13. mrmax

mrmax Member

I got really lucky in the way I acquired my VT 40. Originally it was a 4-10 combo, what I found in Suburban Detroit music store was a VT 40 with a 15" Peavey Scorpion in it ...for $100. I told several of my friends about the great deal they could get for $100, none of them bit. Finally I bought it. Got it serviced , liked the sound with other speakers, decided to have a head cabinet made for it. One of my better decisions, I must admit. It's everthing a Super Reverb wishes it was. Tone like never before. Even as just a head it's heavy, but it sure sounds sweet! :YinYang:cool::YinYang:cool::YinYang:cool:

14. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I toured with one in the early 70's....VERY loud and VERY heavy, but Great tones!!

15. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

yep- what they said

very Cool, Very Toneful, Very HEAVY !!