Your views on the Mesa/Boogie F-Series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tonemeister69, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

Hi all,

I've got a Bad Cat Hot Cat setup for live use in my main band, but I've been finding it a pain to lugg the thing around everywhere (rehearsals/smaller gigs/church). Its a 100 watt head + 212 cab :crazy

I've been strongly thinking about picking up a nice combo for practice, rehearsals and small gigs. I'm basically set on the Mesa F-50 at this stage. It seems to have all the features I need and none that I don't. I've always wanted a Mesa and this might just be the perfect combo for me. I play anything from Jazz to classic rock with big solos. I don't need a chuga chuga metal sound, but I do need a nice singing lead tone that the Bad Cat gives :)

So, what do you think? What are some positive and negative points about the F-Series. If you can add anything specifically in regards to the F-50 that would be even more appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Tim

2. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Not bad amps at all...(Just swap out the tubes to take that edge off and you'll be set)

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

They are nice amps. Not really metal, but they do have a modern voicing. Keep in mind that even though it's a combo, a 50 watt Mesa is still a very loud amp. It does need to be cranked to sound its best. For classic rock and smaller rooms, the F-30 may suit you better.

Another similar amp, that I prefer, especially if you like more of a classic sound is the Fender SuperSonic. Traynor's YCV50Blue is also in the same league. Both the Traynor and the Fender do lower volumes a bit better IMHO.

Bottom line, there are a lot of nice, rocking 12" combos these days. The F-50 is one of them, but not the only one.

4. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Mesa F's areen't exactly light, either. Not bad amps at all. Kinda like Boogie's Shiva. Real good clean, decent dirty.

5. Gibsonchild

Gibsonchild Member

I played thru an F-30 and an F-100 a few years back at Richmond Music. I was pretty impressed, especially w/ the low gain sounds. My bass player, who's a tone whore as well, was impressed too.

He was more impressed w/ the F100 than any of the boutique stuff I tried, as was I. Not to say that it sounded better, just a whole lot more than you'd expect from a Mesa (sorry!). It obviously had a very different sound and feel than the Matchless and Top Hat stuff I tried, but pretty darn close in overall sound quality. Hope all that makes sense.

6. reo73

reo73 Member

I just picked up a Mesa F-30 for small gigs. All in all its a nice little amp with a very chimey clean. The medium gain tones are really warm as well. My gripe is that the lead tone is flubby in the low end and very dark. Perhaps some better tubes than the stock Mesa's will help this but I don't think this amp would be my first choice for harder rock tones. No matter...I'm using OD pedals with this amp anyway.

7. sethmeister

sethmeister Member

I played the F30 and the F50. I liked both but the clean in the F50 is a lot nicer in my opinion. I like 6L6 cleans. I like my Mark IV better than either though, and you can find those used for about $1k

8. CAC

CAC Member

I use a Mesa F-50 as my main gigging amp and have been using it for the past two years. I play blues to hard rock on it and it is a very good amp for all of those sounds. I think the gain tends to get a tad buzzy, especially at lower volumes. However, once I get into a situation whee I can turn it up a little I always am glad to have this amp. It really shines when you can crank it a little. That being said, even in a band situation I never have the master past 3 or 4. I am looking at a lower wattage amp to compliment my Mesa. IMO the F-50 cleans are much better than the F-30 and in general is a better sounding amp.

9. marshallnoise

marshallnoise Member

As an alternative to the F-Series, (though I love Ford trucks), check out the Mesa Studio .22+ combo. Apparently one of the best small Mesas ever built. You can pick one up from anywhere between 500-700 and are a light 1X12 Combo. I was going to get one before deciding to get back to the head/cab setup.

10. Raymund

Raymund Member

+ 1 to that proposal

[​IMG]

11. UconnJack

UconnJack Supporting Member

I had an F-50 for a while. Good amp but I couldn't bond with it's gain channel. It was kind of grainy sounding to me. Clean was decent, I've heard better. No singing lead tone in this amp (that I could find). I think the F-30 has a smoother gain characteristic.

12. hal9000

hal9000 Member

If you haven't already, check out the reviews of the F-50:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/guitarist-F-50/Guitarist_f-50.htm

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/WhatGuitarF-50/WhatGuitarF-50.htm

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/GuitarOne-F-series/GuitarOneFSeries.htm

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/GuitarWorld-F-100/GW-F100.htm

I like just about everything about my F-100 except the weight (81 lbs.). IMO, the amp has a great singing lead tone in the regular overdrive channel and the cleans are sweet.

For better volume control, the FX Mix Pot Master is nice if you're not already using something in the loop.

13. Bradders

Bradders Member

Lots of love for the F series and I don't want to sound like a heretic here, but I didn't like what i played at all when I tried out various heads/combos etc at a local GC, admitedly, about a year or so ago.....I thought they were very harsh/brash sounding and weren't there a lot of reliability issues with them too - heck, I know of the 3-4 I tried on one sitting alone that at least 2 of them had MAJOR issues, I mean "channel just not working" issues - not little stuff by any means - maybe those were one offs but it colored my views for sure. Also, I'm sure if they had issues then they may well have been sorted out by now..........

On a much more positive not, I'd suggest if you're looking for a #2 amp -go check out an older DC model - either the DC-3 or the DC-5, both are mighty fine bits of gear and may well cost you a lot less, DC-2/Studio .22 also has been mentioned and that's a killer amp too.....don't be put off by the 22W thing either - this thing can wail plenty loud!

DC-3 or DC-5 combo, save bucks and get a good sounding and (more???) reliable amp.

Peace.
    Bradz.

14. hal9000

hal9000 Member

There aren't any reliability issues with the F-series as far as I know. With the hundreds of participants in the F-series lounge, most of the very few problems are tube related. You probably just experienced GC floor-model-itis. :)

I've used my F-100 2x12 combo for almost 4 years through hundreds of gigs and practices with nary a problem to be found.

15. Bradders

Bradders Member

Let's hope it was GC-itis - there' a lot of it about.... :)

That said, I'd still go for a DC, hands down, as a #2 amp.

16. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

I love my F50 combo. Great cleans, good low and medium gain settings on channel two - kinda keef like. I like to crank up the mids on the contour mode and get sort of a hot rodded Marshall vibe. I didn't like the stock speaker. I think the C90 (very close to a classic lead 80) sounded stiff and sterile. Right now I'm using an Eminence Tonespotter and enjoying so far.

17. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

My F-30 (which I bought new) bit the dust w/in a week. Bad input something or other. The shop I bought it from fixed it (Mesa authorized). The shop owner told me he'd heard of quite a few of an early run having the issue. Itherwise, the amp was solid afterward. No complaints.