Your views on the Mesa Rectoverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Miles, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Miles

Miles Member

Just got this guy used and I'm curious to see what the gurus on this board think of this amplifier. I've been quite happy with it thusfar, and I usually use the clean/pushed on ch. 1 and the raw or vintage on channel 2. I never venture into modern as it is harsh. Other than that, it's been very good for the stuff I write.

It's the 50 watt series II 1x12 combo.

Thank you.

2. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

cool amp miles! That bad boy can get very loud!

Johnny

3. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I have that amp also.

Just discovered a few things that make it work better for me. The "Raw" position on channel 2 at about 2/3 gain with my McInturff is blues humbucker land. Very nice tones. The "Vintage " mode is also nice. I have no use for the "Modern" mode though. I've heard putting nicer tubes in it will improve it that much more. A very flexible amp.

4. Miles

Miles Member

Yeah, I put JJ's in it two weeks ago and it sounds better, but I never use modern either.

5. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I had one for awhile, some great sounds to be had. I too liked the raw and vintage modes the best, but once in awhile it was fun to put it in modern mode and dropped 'D" tuning and run through some Creed songs :eek: :D
    My biggest problem was the clean channel was just too tight, good for ultra cleans but that "clean on the edge of breakup" just wasn't there. The "pushed" mode on the clean channel was just too full of honky midrange, even with the mids on zero. That being said, I wouldn't mind having a go at it with my current pedalboard, I think I might be able to coax some better tones out of the clean channel with my current OD setup. I had a Klon at the time, which was good for turning up the gain in the raw mode of the lead channel, but contributed to the midrange clunk in the clean channel.

6. Roosevelt

Roosevelt Member

I just bought one last week. The vintage and raw are really cool and have great gain yeah! I got a good tone once from the modern, but forgot the settings. Doh!

Awesome amp though!

7. Miles

Miles Member

Really? I put some JJ's in it and I adore the clean and pushed modes in channel 1. I get plenty of breakup at louder volumes and having a master and output is like having an attenuator all the time, so I can always get it to break up. I also love the pushed mode for more subtle songs where I only play rhythm guitar. Just bliss. The JJ's made some differences that I was very happy with.

8. lukeness

lukeness Member

I had one... loved it. But sold it, cos I couldn't stand the "split second gap" when switching channels.

9. Miles

Miles Member

Mine doesn't have that issue. Huh.

10. lukeness

lukeness Member

Apparently, some owners don't notice the issue... But I know it wasn't just me. There have been many people who have complained about this. Even Mesa Boogie themselves confirmed it when I called their CS (they sounded peaved though). But instead of calling it a flaw, they called it a "feature". Basically, they touted how they got rid of the "pop".... by muting it for a split second.

I tried to live with it cos the amp sounded so good.... but I couldn't stand it.

11. cffluntouch

cffluntouch Gold Supporting Member

I think they are very good amps and I had one for a long time. It was great for my cover band because it could cover just about anything. Mine also had the split second pause when changing channels which was annoying and you really had to anticipate when to hit that button. A nice feature is being able to switch to EL34s with a flip of the switch and a quick tube swap. Totally changes the distortion on ch.2, although the cleans on Ch 1 weren't as good. I also put in different 6l6's but it didn't make as much difference. As I always do I got GAS for a Shiva so I sold the rectoverb. I like the Shiva better but it was also twice the price. Mesa builds great amps with a lot of features and are truly one of the best values out there. I think over time you will love it.

12. dankayaker

I had a Shiva also and thought the clean channel was a tad nicer, and the verb is better than the boogie, but the Boogie OD channel slays the Shiva. . . . IMO.

13. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I never did try different tubes in it. IIRC, what I ended up doing was using the clean channel for um, clean and I set the lead channel to "raw" at moderate gain for crunchy rhythm and used the Klon for leads.

14. Miles

Miles Member

How is the rectoverbs OD better than a Bogner Shiva's OD??

15. sam30328

sam30328 Member

You won't know what this amp can do until you run it through a Mesa (or equivalent) 4x12 cab---can move mountains!!

16. Miles

Miles Member

When I need more OOMPH I run it through a 2x12 recto cab and it growls. But for 95% of the situations I play it in, the combo itself is more than sufficient.

17. dankayaker

"How is the rectoverbs OD better than a Bogner Shiva's OD??"

Just my opinion, but I thought the Shiva's drive channel was very anemic . . .lacking any sizzle or presence . . plus the amount of gain available I thought was too little. The Shiva reminds me of the "Vintage" voicing on the Rectoverb, except with less gain. Also, I like an amp that sounds nice with OD on open chords . . .you can tell alot about the quality of the amp I think by listening to the subtle overtones on open chords . . .my Shiva didn't have much in that department. Not that the Rectoverb has the best OD I've heard . . my GainStar is much richer, but for the money it's a great amp and incredibly flexible.