You're gonna hate me, but

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DerekEstrada, Jan 20, 2008.

1. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

After checking out some of the coolest looking pedalboards over the last year, I've gotta ask, how on earth, do you accurately hit your pedals during a show? I'm lucky to come from one side of the stage, or even from back to front ,and hit an overdrive pedal for a little lick while singing some backups. So many of the boards I see, that I admire, have the boxes so close together, I can't imagine it being very practical for live use, even for Fred Astaire. Maybe it's just me...and I'm okay with that....but these beautiful, stacked boards, seem so stuck together, that you can't really use them in a live situation unless you're so robotic and still, that you're standing right over your board the whole time.

No trying to start a hate thread...just wondering if I'm the only one who can barely control a few pedals throughout a show while still giving a full-on, energetic performance, without Dallas Shoo controlling my stuff from the sidelines.

Bring the pain! I've been waiting a few months to post this, for fear of the guru commuinty coming down so hard on me that I never want to post on TGP again, but I'm sincerely curious about the accessibility of these beautiful pedalboards in the live scene. Not that it matters...at home is one thing, and believe me, I have a ridiculous board at home that I could never control live...just wondering if there's anyone else out there, thinking the same thing.

2. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

You answered your own question... many of the folks here only play at home, so "ease of use" is not an issue.

And some don't play at all. :)

3. thezeng

thezeng Member

smaller board live.. the big boards just fo'sho :D

4. hamfist

hamfist Member

I have to use the same board live and at home.
    Sometimes I do struggle a bit hitting pedals. I expect I must look like a bit of a doofus at times, balancing on one leg, whilst stretching out the other like a ballerina to stomp on a pedal in the back row of the board. (all this whilst trying to carry on playing of course - thank God I don't sing BV's too !).
    If at all possible I try to organise things on my board in loops, with the main loop stomp pedals in the front row (front row is GOOD for me !!). This means that the majority of stomps are on the front row.
    If at all possible, I organise it so that any stomps I would need to do on the second row would usually be between songs, not during a song. But, of course, that still leaves some stomping on the second row during songs. I don't see any way to avoid it, if I want to use that many stomps.

5. junior40

junior40 Member

look at john frusciantes board its a mile long and somehow he pulls it off...he is doing flips and weird body movements all the time and still can switch from pedal to pedal. i dont know how he does it but he does...for me i have seven pedals and can manage them while i play live. i guess yo just know what pedals you are going to use before the song to pull it off.

6. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

you can get something like this www.pedalboards.com/true bypass.htm which controls some or all of your pedals from the very front of your pedalboard. you can get each botton to have a different colored led light so you can see them on a dark stage. this is my goal in building a pedalboard. Also for live performance, less is more to me. Keep it simple or something like this www.trailertrashpedalboards.com/gallery.htm

7. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Half the fun is making it as complex and visually appealing as possible whilst making it functional in a live situation...well, atleast it is for me :D

8. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

How do you pull off wide intervalic leaps on the fretboard? It's all about practice...

9. steeeve

steeeve Member

I'm getting a switching system. I've decided to stop worrying about the flavor of the month and invest in something really useful in the long run.

With what's available now, I just don't understand seeing pros with monster boards and NO switching system.

If my switcher goes out of style, I'll just put a three way toggle and some swirly paint on it.

10. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Tiers. Raises up the back row so you don't mistakenly hit any of the front row pedals.
    When you get to 3 deep... or pedals spaced so that you have to use your tip-toes only to switch it on or off... that's when I agree that they get a bit impractical for stage use. However... there are plenty of killer players with large boards (Bramhall, Gilmour, at certain points Belew, etc. etc.) and they get by just fine. So contrary to what DaveG thinks, it's not a matter of whether you play out or not.

11. gold_soundz

gold_soundz Member

I only have 4 - 5 on my board which isn't a problem tap dancing wise, but even so when playing out I more often than not just put batteries in them and throw them on the floor. This clearly isn't an option with large pedal setups though.

12. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Experience, most have us have been using pedals since we were in our prams.

Even dance maneuvers can be choreograhed to include multi-sweep pedal movements at the drop of a hat.

Only problem is if you have a 1.5 meter linear board and need to hit your wah and delay at the same time if you are wearing tight jeans and have large balls. That can be painfull.

I'm stuck at the mic most of the time as a lead singer and have a massive board but I've only missed a que 3 or 4 times in my career.

...that I know of.

You tube may prove otherwise though one day........

13. Grap

Grap Member

This is why my simplest board is the one that gets used 80% of the time when I play out. That's the one that just has a wah, distortion, ovedrive and a modulation that barely gets touched.

14. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I hate when that happens.

(think Billy Crystal & Christopher Guest as Willie and Frankie on SNL - man, I'm showing my age)

15. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I always wondered this myself...I use a board thats HUGE simply so I can have plenty of space between the pedals on it. I use the biggest NYC Pedal board thay make which they claim will hold up to an average of 16 pedals!!! I run WAY less than that...I just feel like I have to have more room

16. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I use NYC pedalboards that have a riser (second platform) so it helps the second row be more accessible, but yeah, I don't see how a Puma board or any of the other ones of similar design can be practical.

17. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    although i have a good handfull of pedals on my board (7-8) i typically only use two or three consistently - two OD's and a treble booster. the other pedals are there for diff't modulation flavors but i don't overuse them. that said, i'm used to kicking the same pedals on/off and it's become a habit as to where the pedals are on my board... plus, the stages my band plays aren't huge so i pretty close to my board at all times...

18. Structo

Structo Member

Practice makes perfect!

19. andrewnielson

andrewnielson Member

its all about the loooper!

20. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I put the ones I use most often in the front, and the rest in the back. I also use a pedalbosrd with a 2 tier system, so I don't hit the wrong pedal.