You're having a crappy tone day...

My tone is garbage!!!

• It's all my fault. I can't get my fingers moving.

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • It's all the gear's fault. These knobs are funky.

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters

monwobobbo

don't really blame anything. i know it's not really my gear as it is decent so that would be silly. as for me well i play the same way everyday so not to sure it's me (crap playing on the other hand is all me). some days it just doesn't come together, other days the stars align and it sounds great and i play inspired.

jeff_lebowski

I think it's more the ears than anything else. Atmospheric pressure, build up, no build up etc etc.

I like how Kimock put it here once was the tone was all you got but you still need to find a way to make music.

I miss that guy giving us the goods.

temperature and humidity imo have a pretty underrated effect on sound, or at least your perception of it
I'm of the belief that humidity affects both acoustic and electric playing -- acoustic, because the humidity affects the thinner soundboard, and electric, because humidity affects the speaker paper.

I have no evidence for this, only personal anecdote.

iamdavea

Silver Supporting Member
Crappy tone day, never. I have the gear, and the instruments to produce the best tone anyone has ever heard.
Crappy playing day, YES, more often than not...
I came here to write this exact same thing. Sonically, I'm golden. It's the tricky aspect of actual playing that eludes me.

snow and steel

Supporting Member
neither.

The room can have an impact, and your current health and mind frame can affect how you hear things too. So when I'm having a "bad tone night" I leave my settings where I know they sound good night after and night and trust it will be ok. It almost always does, and when it isn't - it's not because of my settings.

Litterick

Jim Hall: "I do feel good about my playing. The instrument keeps me humble. Sometimes I pick it up and it seems to say `No, you can't play today.' I keep at it anyway though."

musekatcher

Two things have emerged that disturb tone and response for me: bad power supply, and new strings. Bad power, such as voltage drops or insufficient voltage and current, can alter how a tube amp sounds. And, I mizerly stretch string changes as long as possible, and as a result, I'm tweaking my tone as the strings age and loose zing. When a finally change them, I have to start all over with knob twisting.