You're having a crappy tone day...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tjontheroad, Aug 22, 2019.

My tone is garbage!!!

1. It's all my fault. I can't get my fingers moving.

41 vote(s)
    85.4%
  2. It's all the gear's fault. These knobs are funky.

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

Tone issues for me seem to come from fluctuating power from the wall and those damn solderless cables gradually degrading their connections. Playing and performance is totally on me.

tjontheroad likes this.
  2. Matt Dillon

Matt Dillon Member

These days I’m just happy to make some noise

tjontheroad likes this.
  3. edro

edro Member

I still have some of the first solderless, those brass ones with the screw in the side... I'm gonna have to get some more cable as I have done the snip and redo so many times over decades, ain't much wire left between em.... Cool thing about em is the snip off a bit, re-seat, tighten the screw, and you are back in bidness...... When they came out decades ago, we bought one of the displays with the roll of cable on the rod and the 1/4" stuck in the holes in the top... Sold like hotcakes in the store....

You learn to keep diag cutters and a small screwdriver in your kit... They WILL go bad... Gotta keep em clean too...

Still surprised at how many players don't carry at minimum an old bluebag or SM57 bag with basic 'Oh Tish' tools to all gigs....or extra cables.....or extra strings....or extra picks...extra straps... Back then in the club 5-6 night/wk w/ two week rotation days, I bought picks by the gross and had a bag with a doz or so in every guitar/bass case I had... I never liked surprises... My big 'road' trunk was sectioned and had tools in a section, jacks, extra wall warts, fuses, batteries, etc. in a section too... Other sections had new cables, mic clips, mic, extra gtr stand, etc... If I had anything using adapters, I would have extras.... and plenty of gaffer tape... Surprises suck...especially in the middle of the night, playing in east hell with no stores open... Drummer kept a new stick bundle too in his go kit, along with tools, parts, heads... Bass player was lucky to have a freaking extra pick...and usually didn't know where his extra was... I used Fender 346 Tort Shell mediums for two reasons. 1. I liked em, easy to palm for finger stuff, and 'reload'. 2. Nobody I EVER played with over decades used em so mine didn't get stolen... I tried to always be prepared for Murphy's Law because he always dicked something up at the most critical time...

A bit of rambling with my blathering but maybe it'll prompt somebody to better prepare for Murphy.....because HE will show up and rock your world if you ain't prepared.....

tjontheroad likes this.
  4. RLD

RLD Member

My AX8>CLR...sounds exactly the same from day to day...seriously...so there are no bad tone days. :D
    Playing may fluctuate, but that's on me.

tjontheroad likes this.
  5. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

@edro I've tried four different types over the past twenty years and currently have a design like you mentioned using. I have no trouble making them but they all loosen up over time. It just gets annoying because it is gradual and I start to suspect my amps but it is always the cables. Next time it will be soldered.

edro likes this.