You're too loud !!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pedalbored, Jan 30, 2008.

1. pedalbored

pedalbored Member

I know I'm old and can't hear well, but the other guys in the band are constantly telling me this. I'm open to any ideas as long as it doesn't include spending money (I'm cheap too). Right now I'm using a Marshall MG250DFX amp, sitting on a chair and aimed at the back of my head. My axe is a '91 LP Studio with a '59 Seymore Duncan in the bridge slot. My only effect is a Boss CS3 Compressor/sustain pedal. The gain on the pedal is at 12:00. The amp settings are- clean channel gain on 10(all the way up), overdrive channel gain at 9:00, and the master volume stays at about 10:00 to 12:00. I use a line out from the amp to the board and is mixed with everything else (bass amp, drums and vocals). Out front volume is ok, but the stage volume is killin them. Any ideas?

2. MetalHeadd

MetalHeadd Member

Where are your mids at? Upping those a bit might let you turn down and still cut through well.

I also find when playing that I can hear myself better if I'm a bit farther away from my amp. Your band may be experiencing this. Try moving your amp a bit farther away from you, and you might also recognize a need to turn it down.

3. FFTT

FFTT Member

Plexi-panels may help to isolate your stage volume.

Common practice these days.

Otherwise, you may need to look into something like the Bad Cat Leash
    or other attenuators.

You can also try less efficient speakers, but if you're having trouble hearing
    yourself or the other's across the stage, then maybe it's time to look into
    better monitoring.

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Plexi panels would work. I would think that your amp has alot of 'throw', so it may not be that loud 2 feet away, but silly loud over 10 feet away. Or try beam blockers (go cheap at first and put some duct tape over the cones on the grill to see if it works.)

No attenuators, since this isn't a full tube amp that hes' playing.

EP

5. fazendeiro

fazendeiro Member

Turn down. Seriously.
    Are you having trouble hearing yourself over the other instruments? Maybe they're too loud too.

6. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

learn to play more quietly?

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Take your amp, put it in front of you and aim it directly at your head. That'll get you to turn down a bit and won't cost one cent. You've already got the line-out to the FOH so they can adjust your mix accordingly.

Seriously, at jams, if people get too loud, I'll ask them to aim their amp just at themselves so that everyone else doesn't get blown out.

8. gravy

gravy Member

2 things i`ve tried--1. point yer amp away from other players. 2. put yer amp on the floor, then play- listening to the band instead of having mainly yerself in yer ear. makes you hear everyone else better and focus more on the sound of the full band.

9. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

I'm a huge supporter of running my amp in front of me beside the monitor on a ground level tilt back stand. I've never had trouble hearing myself or been told I'm too loud by the other members.

[​IMG]

10. sideman

sideman Member

I have often had the same problem. During solos, when the tone, compression and volume of my guitar is right where I like it, it's too d--- loud. This may be a guitar player's disease since I hear it from others too. I know it's true of me from hearing gig recordings (guys don't tell me much anymore but they should). What has helped me -- as above -- is a tilt back stand that points the amp directly at my head. Then I make sure I stand right there in front of it. Also, trying to be conscious of volume all the time. The question, "am I too loud"? should recur while you're playing. Also, instead of backing your guitar volume knob off a bit (but then turning it back up later), back off your amp volume a bit. That reduces the risk that you will (foolishly) turn iyourself up again two minutes later.

11. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

If your guitar is not in the monitor mix... is the whole band saying this?Maybe just somebody who is on-axis? Does it sound balanced to you?
    Could they be wrong??? You have a drummer with an acoustic set that HITS them with real sticks, not those roddy thingies?
    Kill the PA and try again.

12. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

Maybe you need some headphones! these will help you hear yourself!

[​IMG]

13. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Who else in the band is "qualified" to tell you to turn down?...the girl singer? Get real!!! The drummer? Yeah sure!! A freakin horn player? Dont make me laugh!!
    Tell them to F$%# Off!
    Then do what I do...turn it up more!!

14. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    Musicman1...now that's the spirit!!....
    seriously, move your amp as far back as you can...It's probably to close to you....If they still bitch at you after that, revert to musicman1's advise!!!!

15. mtndog

mtndog Gold Supporting Member

Several good, practical ideas offered in the preceding posts. To show your band mates you have a sense of humor order this shirt from the cool guys at Komet

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. Occam

Occam Member

+1.7 trillion
    We're a rare breed on this forum. Someone told me I was a bit too loud at our last show, my suggestion was to turn everyone else up. I don't know, maybe you guys play lounge music or something but if you're in a rock band you've got to put some volume out there. It's not like you're cranking a wall of Marshall full-stacks or anything. Hell I don't even understand how people play with just 30-watt amps unmic'd unless you've some really light hitting drummer which is a whole other problem. So many people on here are scared to play 50 watt amps let alone 100-watters. If you can't crank up and rock out a big amp then there is something wrong with this planet.

17. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

A few things, some already mentioned.

Put the amp in front of you, positioned as if it were a floor monitor.

Turn the amp down and put some of you in your monitor.

Most importantly, listen to what you're doing in context with the rest of the band. Learn to blend in and create a good mix instead of blasting really loud and listening only to yourself. This is where I think most loud guitar players go wrong. They get so wrapped up in listening to what they're doing and focusing only on their parts, that they fail to notice what the rest of the band is up to and how they sound in relation to it.