youtube demos what do you look for? :)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LaoTzu, Mar 27, 2015.

1. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

hey guys this thread is to help me out as part of my channel will be dedicated to reviews on gear such as pedals guitars and amps or whatever i can get my hands on.

my question to you is what do you look for that makes a great review as opposed to a mediocre one?

do you prefer talking? not talking?

product information or just straight up playing?

humour? zaney antics? or just straight up review?

im currently designing my format and i would appreciate the feedback to get it right.

2. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I buy a lot of gear online - as the stores around here are very limited.

I rely a lot on youtube videos - to help me narrow my choices.

The main thing I look for in a demo video is - did they actually show all the options.

If the pedal has different settings, knobs, etc - did the person bother to test them.

Also - try different guitars - "here it is with single coils, now here it is with a LP/humbuckers".

In short - do the things in the video that anyone would do - if they were able to test gear at a store.

3. jota

jota Member

No talking, please.
    Mike Hermans videos are a good example of the kind of demos I like.
    I just wish he went more rock n roll and less fusion sometimes.
    Like a cross between Greg V. and Mike Hermans demos would be perfect.

4. Wagster

Wagster Member

Shawn Tubbs demos are the pinnacle for me but I wish he would do more.

5. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

whats your reasoning for no talking?

6. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

Being remote, I rely on YT vids and there are few that I really like out there. The best ones show the strengths of the gear with just some introduction talking. Andy at Pro guitar is my best example. Forget diming anything, that is worthless. I know the intent is to show range, but going to nine is good enough, unless there is something special. Also, go through a clean amp. Report all of the gear used and get good sound recording. Show every pedal setting while playing. Catalinbread's "vertical" Tremolo vid is a great example of a very well thought out vid that had to show a bunch of features.

7. Crimson Queen

Crimson Queen Member

Shoes (no barefoot or dirty socks, please)

If talking, mic for the voice. I can't stand when I have to ride the volume between the voice and pedal segments.

Best sound from pedal first. Don't start with everything at noon, because it's "flat." It's not. Don't start your fuzz face video with gain at zero.

If sound comes from a video camera mic, don't move the camera.

Don't demo everything through an AC-30 or other super bright amp.

Don't demo everything with a slightly dirty tone and call it your "clean sound."

8. 8len8

8len8 Member

- Minimal taking (I can get product specs from the vendor website)
    - Similar rig to mine (humbuckers through Marshall)
    - Chord or rhythm playing (not just leads)
    - Good audio (no string noise or phone mics)

9. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

im suprised that none of you have mentioned anything about humour.

my current recording set up is two mics one ribbon one dynamic and a condensor for the room. ( i can do production).

whats this aversion to string noise? do you guys just want to be dronwed in the sound of whats coming out of the amp?

10. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

If the sound quality of the demo is bad, I skip it. If the sound quality is excellent, I will subscribe.

11. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

Chords and arpeggios, not just noodling. Playing the exact same thing with the effect on and off and/or through multiple settings. A bit repetitive but it lets you hear what the difference is. Side by side comparisons with something i own or have used are particularly useful to me, but of course that is on me to search out.

12. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

would you guys like it if i did short first impression reviews which would be like my first run through of the pedal and then more indepth reviews on pedals i actually liked? and by indepth i mean make a backing track make it sound good in context of a band-like setting. using two guitars and showing how i used a pedal for the left channel and right that kinda thing.

13. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

please post it :)

14. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I think its in the Anderton's best pedal demo ever thread...

15. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

what do you think of chappers and andertons stuff for demoing gear? aswell as bergs, hermans pete thorn etc etc is there anything missing from there shows that maybe youd like to see?

16. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

A little less talk and a lot more action, just like the song. Also I look at the rating...if there are lots of thumbs down I don't waste time with it. Lots of thumbs up, like Pete Thorn gets, is always a good sign. No patience for poor quality audio, out of tune guitars, crap playing, non stop talking, etc. I now have Chrome cast and can watch demos on the big tv with sub woofer and surround sound which is great when the video quality is there.

17. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

PT does it right. He's one of my fave demo-ers

The Anderton guys I like b/c I've been watching their demos for years and I feel like I'm sitting with friends when I watch their vids, There is lots of talking and BS but I know that going in. Also, if they don't like something, they don't pull punches.

*edit Forgot about Andy at PGS, he is great

ALSO check out seattleguitarstore demos on youtube.. AMAZING!!!

18. JJ Fux

JJ Fux Member

PGS is one of the best, but I wish the reviewer played with picks, ffs.

Prymax is cool. I understand their intention of showcasing the pedal in "band situations", but I skip to the later half all the time.

I like EHX demos. They mix a lot of other kinds of pedals with the "main" pedal. Possibilities!

Rob Chapman is a great guitarist, but it is quite difficult to listen to demos with him as the demonstrator. I would like for him and his sidekick or boss to not to talk so frequently.

19. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

i didnt think an end user would be listening wih a sub thats something to consider. gotta get my mixing skills up :D

20. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

I really enjoy PGS & Brett Kingman demos.

Really not a fan of the Prymaxe or Thorne demos, mainly because the guitar always sounds way over produced. Don't get me wrong the guys at Prymaxe and Pete are absolutely amazing players and get AMAZING tones, but to me it seems like a lot of those tones are unobtainable in a standard practice space or live setting.