1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

YouTube suspended me!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Ken Whisler, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Ken Whisler

Ken Whisler Member

...and I do not have a clue as to why.

I did appeal, and they responded by upholding the suspension.

I had 3 videos. All 3 contained nothing more than myself playing my own classical guitars. None of the videos had more than 150 views. I had 3 subscribers and a total of 3 comments. They did not and will not say what exactly my videos contained that warranted a suspension.

I don't get it.

2. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

What music were you playing in those videos?

FokenBusker, strumminsix and TL;DR like this.
  3. TL;DR

TL;DR Member

Did you leave sketchy comments on other videos?!?
    I assume not, and that it’s a case of mistaken identity.

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

5. Bluplirst

Bluplirst Supporting Member

Just give them some time to mullet over.

6. sws1

sws1 Member

What were you wearing?

7. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

Right!

8. Ken Whisler

Ken Whisler Member

The first video was me noodling around the melody/changes of Metheny's "Last Train Home" on a 640mm scale coco/cedar I built in January. I never mentioned the song by name in the title or description. It had been up for some time without a problem. You don't think Pat stumbled on it and reported me, do you?

The other two: one a bit of chord improvising at the initial stringing of a guitar I built in March and the second was my arrangement of Wild Mountain Thyme on the same guitar, which is in the public domain.

Some 7 years ago, I put my arrangement of Morning Has Broken up on YouTube, and they zapped it for copyright violation. Turns out that the melody is in public domain, just as I had thought, but I had worked out Rick Wakeman's piano intro on solo guitar. And it was close enough to trigger YT's bots. And that intro, as it turned out, is the property of BMI.

If it is a copyright thing, copyright laws and fair use and the zillions of ways YT vloggers skirt those rules is dizzying to me.

I guess if I really want to get serious about vlogging, I should keep the content either original or public domain.

Swaters, buddaman71 and Gig Young like this.
  9. Ken Whisler

Ken Whisler Member

khakis

10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Are you Jake, from State Farm?

[​IMG]

grego7, FiremanMike, JWes65 and 36 others like this.
  11. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

You are obviously a danger :mmm

dirtytony, rauchman, Occam and 9 others like this.
  12. Ken Whisler

Ken Whisler Member

Now that you mention it....

I made an album back in 2013 that is still up on CDBabay, Amazon, and iTunes. Since so few people buy cd's or downloads these days, and given that my own project was very personal, appealed to a niche within a niche within a niche, and only made me $72.81, I conceded to just stream the thing freely and everywhere. It was already on Spotify, and I was going to load them up on my YT channel with pictures of my work in the videos. That was when I discovered that a gent with a name very similar to my own had my entire album up on his channel. I didn't get mad about it or anything....it just looked kind of misleading, the way it displayed on his playlist could be interpreted as he was the artist, not me. Even though I have not actually sold many copies of that album, it has been instrumental in promoting my other work as a luthier and as a music minister. And I wanted to expand on that on the YT platform. So I commented on this gents channel on a video playing my music, "Not really a big deal, but how did my music get uploaded on your channel?" Then I went to bed. Then I woke up to the email from YT. FWIW, the playlist of my music on this gents channel was taken down. I meant the dude no ill will, I was hoping for a short chat and we could work it out. Maybe I should have reached out to him via his webpage.

buddaman71 and TL;DR like this.
  13. Ken Whisler

Ken Whisler Member

Can't hide nothing here. ;)

14. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

Tangent: this seems to be becoming more common with algorithms/bots gathering data, choosing paths, and taking action. I tried to sell a desk on FB Marketplace and my ad was rejected becaue it violated FB rules. No explanation. I read the rules, had absolutely no idea how it could have violated them, clicked a button for their "appeal" process, was rejected again, and that was the end of it. There seems to be no path to appeal.

I honestly don't think it's alarmist to view this sort of thing as a disturbing trend.

15. Ken Whisler

Ken Whisler Member

Yeah, but I can't name them here. They were from the Underground Album :roll

roachone, stratohiker and John 14:6 like this.
  16. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

Were you playing a Gibson?:)

GT100, MaxTwang, roachone and 13 others like this.
  17. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I had a track of mine get pulled once because the AI filters thought it was some completely unrelated classical recording.

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  18. John 14:6

John 14:6 Member

:D:cool::D

roachone and Killed_by_Death like this.
  19. Ken Whisler

Ken Whisler Member

No, but a running joke in luthier circles is Gibson wants to patent bookmatched flame maple...

coltonius, kafkas, MaxTwang and 8 others like this.
  20. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

Those guys would patent their underwear if they thought they could make money doing it.

jdel77, Warkli and Non-Musical Hack like this.