YouTube: Taming the Monster - Building a Preset with the Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Scott Peterson, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Here's the first of a series of videos I have planned on how to work with the Axe-FX.

Note I build a full blown amp/cab preset in just a few minutes. Have a look.

Ask any questions you like; I'll try to respond as I can.

2. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

Very nice.
    When's the next episode?

3. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Great stuff...thanks for doing this Scott!! :aok

4. xpenno

xpenno Member

5. lscottk

lscottk Member

Thanks for doing this Scott. It's very helpful. I'm looking forward to future installments.

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Cool! Unfortunately, I started menstruating after the intro music and was unable to continue watching.... :rotflmao

Axe edit looks crazy in depth. A tweakers dream for sure! :omg

7. Deaj

Deaj Member

Very cool Scott! Thanks for your continued efforts to assist folks with the AxeFX platform! :)

8. chrishurley

chrishurley Supporting Member

Thanks, Scott. Axe-Edit is great for tweakers but its also nice to do basic stuff really, really fast.

9. Reincaster

Reincaster Member

Excellent! I've been writing up a series on each effect block to go up on a weekly blog based on the Axe Fx as well.

10. jrjones

jrjones Member

You only have to go as deep into axe-edit as you want to. And you can get great tones without getting really deep. On a recording from last weekend a guy said "if you hadnt told me there's no way I would've known that wasn't an actualy amp" and I never go past the first page.

11. NorthCoast

NorthCoast Member

Thanks Scott my Michigan bro, I enjoyed it! Looking forward to more.

12. jhvox

jhvox Member

Thank you, great work! You could charge for this stuff.

13. Candyfan

Candyfan Member

14. The Kid

The Kid Member

Bookmarked for when I get my Axe!

15. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I was just messing around with a Marsha HBE patch yesterday. I think I was able to get it pretty nice fairly quickly I. When I get a chance, I'll have to try tweaking things a bit based on your tutorial.
    -
    Austin

16. Scott Peterson

Key point is to not beat your brains out 'tweaking' but instead, just use the Speaker tab and trust your ear. The more you do it... the less you do it. ;) :D

Take one hour and mess around in the speaker tab playing with the settings in there to get a feel for them... and trust your ear. Then you'll see how fast, fun and simple it is to make things perfect for YOU. That's the key. It's far more simple than a lot of folks would have you believe... very powerful tools. The tools are in the box.

My goal is just showing how I do it; how really simple it is and that even with a billion parameters... all you need is a method. This is my method. Follow it and I promise that folks with 'obsessive tweaking disorder' will no longer suffer from it! :D

17. MOJO

MOJO Member

Scott ...you must be a mind reader.. I was just think about this last night..

humm " it would be cool if someone did a video of how to create patches from scratch using AX EDIT"

18. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

Great stuff. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

19. Scott Peterson

Thanks Craig (and all) the whole point of my doing these videos is to share my method in the hope it helps other folks out. I see all sorts of rubbish posted about how hard it is to work with the Axe-FX, how complicated it is to 'tweak in' good sounds. Yet when I work 1-on-1 with folks the general response is... 'that's it?'.

I am sick of reading all the crap posted about tweaking; I am sick of how hard it is to dial an Axe-FX, I am sick of reading how 'smart' I am for getting sounds. I'm not that smart, no smarter than anyone else. There's no magic. After analyzing what folks do by working with lots of folks individually now over the years (I do private consulting to get folks up to speed on working with the Axe-FX on the side) it's my conclusion that folks don't need to grab someone else's preset... they need a method.

My method is no better or worse than any other; it's just one that works. Parameters are there... yes. But they do NOT need to be touched if there is a simpler and more more powerful way to get you where your ears tell you to go. Most folks stuck with parameter 'paralysis' are missing that one key thing - a method.

I just trust my ears. I've done the work. This is my method and I'll do a series of these showing what I do in the hope it helps other folks. And helps put an end to all the rubbish posts you see about not 'getting' the Axe-FX. It's whatever you make it; if you make it hard... it will be. It's not.

The end goal for me is that folks enjoy their gear, get the individual tones they want and have fun doing it. Gear should not be frustrating and what the Axe-FX can do for you if you have a plan or method is be a fun and powerful way to get you what you want.

20. mindseye

mindseye Member

Thanks Scott, cool of you to do this!!

I also dont understand why lot's of peeps say it had to get good tones out of the Axe......When I got my AxeII(my first Fractal product) I had my basic main sound up and running in less than 10 min......I used my ears!!!!!