you've got to love diamond!

fieldsroyal

Price permitting - that looks an amazing delay pedal - hats off to Diamond for providing a "no bells and whistles" version of what is obviously a great circuit!!!

JRC4558Dude

How much?
Max delay time?
Do they have enough chips to actually make these for any length of time?

So many questions...

nrvana8775

Bah, the only difference between that and my ML 1 is: eq and feedback expression slot. Looks as if the depth/speed have been combined into the single mod pot, and there is definitely a dotted 8th switch.

I wonder what the price will be like!!!

drolling

How much?
Max delay time?
Do they have enough chips to actually make these for any length of time?

So many questions...
Michael Knappe actually wrote back to me from his hotel room at NAMM when I had questions around this time last year. Couldn't hurt to give him a shout.

His colleague Aimish keeps a weather eye on this board & usually jumps in with info when needed - but it is NAMM time, and the boys are probably burning the midnight lamp getting ready for the big show.

That does look like a cool new addition to the line! I'd like more info too..

awallace

Hey guys, just thought I'd jump in here with a little bit of info. We got to Anaheim this afternoon and the jet lag is starting to kick in a bit.

The teaser pic I posted is the first prototype of something new that we've got in the works. The feature set isn't even nailed down 100%- it may or may not have dotted 8ths. What it will *likely* have- footswitchable modulation (which is sounding AMAZING btw), true bypass, tap tempo and long delay times. There are a few other things that we're still working on.

Obviously we've been concerned about the availability of the NOS BBD chips we used in the original Memory Lane and the Memory Lane 2. We've tried some the of the currently manufactured low voltage BBD chips and weren't completely happy with how they sounded. The solution? Mike has been slaving away writing custom software for this chip. Yes it's digital!

Unlike some the other offerings on the market, it's not an 'off the shelf' general purpose DSP like the PT2399, it's a programable microchip with custom written software by a guy (Mike) with a serious background in signal processing algorithms and psychoacoustics. Does it sound great? Yes! With an analog dry path of course, and it's going to allow us to do things that would be impossible to do with BBD chips.

The other factor that really spurred us to develop this pedal is all the players that emailed and called asking us to offer a stripped down or more affordable version. We listened.

Note that we will still continue to offer the MLN2 for players who demand a real, honest to goodness analog delay. It's still the king.

Last edited:
Two simple questions.
1. Will it have the ability to sound clear and pronounced, as though it's a digital delay designed to sound analog, but can sound digitalish?
2. Will there be an effects loop?

I know my first question sounds confusing, but I'd love a delay that has the ability to be as stark as, say the DD-5, but can still pull lovely analog sounds.

Oh and please for the love of all things holy can you keep the .8th feature.

dewey decibel

Looks sweet. I think if it's going to be digital you NEED to offer dotted 1/8ths, just the word digital might turn a lot of folks off (not me!!!:D).

sub rosa

Dotted 1/8ths ought to be standard on all tap tempo delays.

Looks mighty interesting! Can someone (OP or moderator) change the thread title so its clear what's being discussed here. I expect many will be interested in this one!

doralin

For $179, I can get an analog delay with tap, modulation and expression input (EHX Deluxe Memory Boy)

For $449, I can get a digital delay: Empress Superdelay (which I bet does heaps more than this.. It has presets for starters)

So, what's the deal here?
Am I missing something?

sub rosa

For $179, I can get an analog delay with tap, modulation and expression input (EHX Deluxe Memory Boy)

For $449, I can get a digital delay: Empress Superdelay (which I bet does heaps more than this.. It has presets for starters)

So, what's the deal here?
Am I missing something?
Everything! No specs have been announced yet.

doralin

Everything! No specs have been announced yet.
A foggy spec list but possibilities listed none the less:

Hey guys, just thought I'd jump in here with a little bit of info. We got to Anaheim this afternoon and the jet lag is starting to kick in a bit.

The teaser pic I posted is the first prototype of something new that we've got in the works. The feature set isn't even nailed down 100%- it may or may not have dotted 8ths. What it will *likely* have- footswitchable modulation (which is sounding AMAZING btw), true bypass, tap tempo and long delay times. There are a few other things that we're still working on.

Obviously we've been concerned about the availability of the NOS BBD chips we used in the original Memory Lane and the Memory Lane 2. We've tried some the of the currently manufactured low voltage BBD chips and weren't completely happy with how they sounded. The solution? Mike has been slaving away writing custom software for this chip. Yes it's digital!

Unlike some the other offerings on the market, it's not an 'off the shelf' general purpose DSP like the PT2399, it's a programable microchip with custom written software by a guy (Mike) with a serious background in signal processing algorithms and psychoacoustics. Does it sound great? Yes! With an analog dry path of course, and it's going to allow us to do things that would be impossible to do with BBD chips.

The other factor that really spurred us to develop this pedal is all the players that emailed and called asking us to offer a stripped down or more affordable version. We listened.

Note that we will still continue to offer the MLN2 for players who demand a real, honest to goodness analog delay. It's still the king.
Price was quoted as approximately half the MLN2.

Don't get me wrong, I like what Diamond makes.

I will probably own the Memory Lane Jr. as I have difficulty resisting urges to purchase delays.

Wanted to know what the diamond has at a $250 (lower end of the approximated 1/2 of a MLN2 price) price point that can justify dropping that amount.

*I am not looking to start a flame war of any sort and if I'm considered trolling then by all means ignore my post, thanks

mknappe

Hey everyone, Mike from Diamond Pedals here. We definitely set out to do something different on the MLJR, and we've looked at digital from a different angle ... if you're at NAMM, please stop by and I can discuss some of the design approaches we're taking. It's definitely still a work in progress (the final production version for instance will have a lot more memory for much longer delays, this proto version is limited to max 1 second delays), but you can certainly get the feel of the sound we're going for from the prototype units.

Cheers,

Michael Knappe
Diamond Pedals

awallace

A foggy spec list but possibilities listed none the less:

Price was quoted as approximately half the MLN2.

Don't get me wrong, I like what Diamond makes.

I will probably own the Memory Lane Jr. as I have difficulty resisting urges to purchase delays.

Wanted to know what the diamond has at a $250 (lower end of the approximated 1/2 of a MLN2 price) price point that can justify dropping that amount.

*I am not looking to start a flame war of any sort and if I'm considered trolling then by all means ignore my post, thanks
Hi doralin, not trolling by any means in my opinion, reasonable questions. Without trying to compare the Jr to either the Superdelay or the Memory Boy Deluxe, (neither of which I have personally tried) keep in mind that the Jr will have footswitchable, adjustable modulation and sounds amazing. Comparing simply on features versus price doesn't necessarily reflect things like sound quality, ease of use, pedalboard real estate, etc. On paper a $39 BOSS overdrive and a Klon probably look pretty similar and it's up to the player to ultimately determine which one is going to suit their needs.

Keep in mind that we're using the MLN1/MLN2 as a baseline in terms of sound while offering some changes that will make the Jr less expensive as well as smaller and capable of more. As Mike pointed out we're very early in the development of the Jr.

Trending Topics