Yuck, I can't believe I'm asking this--Mr. Brightside by The Killers

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Phil M, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Phil M

Phil M Member

My band wants to play this song. I'm an OK rock guitarist of average ability, shouldn't be any trouble to play a song by these guys, right?

Are any of you playing this in std. tuning, because I sat down to take a stab at it last night and it is far more challenging than I thought. Is this tuned down? Tuned up? Capoed? For a live set I feel like I need to play in standard tuning. Let me know... that ringing part that opens the song seemed to be nearly impossible to finger...

It seemed to be in C#...

2. JNixon

JNixon Supporting Member

I used to play this tune and I had the same exact problem. I will have to check the specifics later, but I ended up tuning 2 different strings down so I could play that intro with a bar chord fingering. I will double check tonight and post the results. I think it may have been tuning the A string to D and the D string to C#... but I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll have to get back to you.

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

Yuck, maybe we should pick a new song. I hate these keyboard/vocal oriented bands.... ;)

Let me know what you got. The bassist keeps telling me how simple it is and that he learned his part in 5 minutes. I told him I learned the BASSLINE in two minutes....

4. Mita

Mita Member

It's tuned half a step down .. that's how you can play the open strings
    Best
    Mita

5. Soul Driver

Soul Driver Member

It's actually tuned up a whole tone, F# C# A E B F# from high to low E. You could try it with a capo on the 2nd fret rather the retune for the one song.

Cheers,

Chris.

6. DrSax

DrSax Member

tune down a half step if you want to play it to recording pitch. it's really the best way to get those open strings ringing. or if your singer can handle it do it in standard.

7. Phil M

Phil M Member

Tuned down would be E-flat, capoed at the 2nd fret would be F#. I'm so confused! I'll give both a try and see if anything shakes out.

8. Mita

Mita Member

9. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

regardless of the tuning on the record:

play a G bar chord up on the 10th fret but open style...you'll have to play with it to get what i'm talking about, but that's definitley the right voicing