Yugoslavian Telefunkens

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by merkaba22, Sep 19, 2008.

1. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

I have a line on March '73 Yugoslavian NOS Telefunken 12AX7s w/o the diamond bottom but are smooth plate and supposedly made on German Telefunken equipment that was moved to a former Phillips company there around 1967. Apparently, the forge was not moved and without the German forge (from Ulm Germany) there no diamond. Further, the factory eventually became EI.

Does anybody know about the veracity of the story and the relative quality of these presumed Yugoslavian Telefunkens compared to the German ones? Fair price, if favorable?

Pics ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  2. chaz

chaz Member

Hmmm, don't know the truth about the tale but I do know those old Yugo made tubes are pretty sweet sounding if thats what they are. They don't sound exactly like the German made ones to my ear but they are nice tubes.

3. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

What would be a fair price?

4. chaz

chaz Member

I haven't been looking for a couple of years so I really have no idea what the market is like. I've got a few good used Tele's and Yugos laying here that I'm not using. Email me if interested.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

First off it labeled ECC82. That is a 12AU7 not 12AX7. What dates them as 73? Etch code? This tube raises more questions with me than anything else. Bob

6. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

What are the questions that you feel are raised?

Yes, the pics are AU7s ... its just the pics I was provided to research with. The AU7's were said to be manufactured earlier actually .... I do not know beyond all doubt but I believe I was told there are codes on the AX7's that reveal the '73 date.

Does anyone know the structure of the Telefunkens well enough to comment on what is shown in the pics?

I will ask for pics of the AX7's.

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Ah,you didnt state that. All Ei 12AX7's were made on old Telefunken equipment hence the near identical internal appearance. I just examined both real Tele smooth plates and Ei's from my collection.Aside from the plate tabs being bent over on most of my Ei's they are virtually identical to real Telefukens internally.(I knew this but was double checking) The tabs on your Tele-Ei's arent bent over which makes them almost scary! The pics are very dark but Im assuming the plates are smooth. In which case the only thing that seperates them visually from a real Telefunken,it seems,would be the diamond on the bottom. At least you know they are Ei's not "real " telefunkens. If they are what they clain to be-very early Ei's they are probably nice tubes. Nothing close to the value of a "real" Telefunken. Ei's in general have a bad history of micriphonics . I wonder if these do. Bob

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Nice print job on that logo! ROFL!

Looks like it came out of someone's garage;)

9. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

Seems like these are worth passing on ....

10. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

You know if you put lipstick on an Ei tube, it's still an Ei............

11. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

ROFL! I don't know why it's taken so long for the lipstick line to be used here! :BEER

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Not if you like EI's and they hit your price target;)

13. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

That is a Philips-era Ei, with the broken circle with a dot in the center, to signify the production facility. The 12AU7 shown was made either 1970 or 1980. The Philips Ei are not the same as the last-production by Ei, and may not have been as microphonic-prone (probably - seems they'd have gone out of business a lot earlier if they were).

I'm one who doesn't even like real Telefunkens, so an ersatz T-Funk is not appealing. But I'm sure it beats some current-production options.

- Thom

14. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

More ECC 83 pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any further observations; probable fair price?

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Nice close ups unfortunately not enought direct light on them.I like to take shots outside if possible. A direct shot of the plates in stronger light is necessary for a detailed shot. An Ei ,even an early one,is still an Ei. I wouldnt pay more than 10-15$ a pop for them. Bob

16. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Agreed! But perhaps as high as $20, due to ever-rising tube prices.

- T