yZe's Mental Ass Whippin'

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by yZe, Feb 17, 2008.

1. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
  2. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

:munch

Hey man, you need a girlfriend.

3. yZe

yZe Senior Member

They cut into the GAS budget

And that only improves your timing with your hips and back
    I'm the best I've ever had, anyway :BEER

4. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Hum,

I read that original thread and understand why your posting this. Fellas can come here and comment on them, and it's clear to me you really can take these comments very well. Full Kudos to you for that.

What I'm really intersted in knowing is. Do you hear any timing issues in these clips?

Certainly with my playing I'm very sensitive to it. I hear it very clearly when I'm not (more often that not). I never had to have anyone tell me - I' know it instictively from listening to peers and analysing my own recordings................curious to know do you believe you have a timing issue?

5. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Hate to give you a Zen answer, but yes and no

For one thing, I feel the pocket more when I play live and I have the rhythm section pushin' all that air from the drums and bass cabinet

When i record, all i have is laptop speakers, so I have to stuff a loud ass amp in the closet, wire the mic and guitar chord into the living room to the firewire and laptop, and me in the living room

I have to prop up the laptop on a stool to hear the track while I hear the guitar in the next room

That's still no excuse, because timing should be "internal" and those variables shouldn't matter, although having a good headphone mix or band monitor mix definitey defines the pocket more while playing

I have been in groups where I have been complimented by musicians for playing "in the pocket", so I believe that when i go out, it might be more mental mistakes in regards to dropping out of focus

I blow my timing alot when i go legato it seems

6. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Seriously...you need some headphones for recording, like now. Slam the click or the drums or whatever it is in your headphone mix and go for it.
    Yeah you can obviously record in a control room with monitors and no phones and plenty do it but phones is a plus. Not saying that's the key to good time but for recording with a track you got to at least own a set of them.

7. RichardB

RichardB Senior Member

Geoff,

Firstly, I need to make it clear that I am obviously not some kind of "uber greatest judge/authority" on this stuff.....this is all just my take on it, and everyone has to find their own way:

I had a good listen. Sounds good.No probs. Now put the metronome on 60 on 2 & 4, and freely improvise swung 8ths. Play over a tune or something...if it sounds good and relaxed on that, then put the click on only 4,drop the tempo to 30 and repeat....This stuff has helped me improve.
    I might post a clip of me doing this...if it is of interest, but you can hear/see Metheny doing this on youtube at the highest possible level...

8. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Richard thanks again for taking the time for your input

Here is some 60 Bpm 8th note (for the most part) improv
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6281877

The beat on 4 @ 30 bpms may take me a wek or so - so there may be a delay

God, that's tough !

9. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

love them Bebop lines. ;)

10. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Hey Mate !

Here's 'smore bop I ripped out at practice yesterday after the scale deal
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6196093

Gets kinda boring, but whadya expect for a 6 chorus play-along

Start to run outta gas after the 2nd and the rest is just runnin' on fumes

11. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Not boring to these ears fella. I Love bebop. I'm stuck after one bar!

listening to it again makes me want to phone up my last teacher and book some more sessions. He was such a wonderful bebop player. Joe - I miss ya mate :D

12. RichardB

RichardB Senior Member

Geoff,

That sounded ok. My only comments are that the time sounds slightly stilted and not relaxed and confident and is mostly pushing the front end of the beat. It also sounds slightly "jerky", ie not smooth, and that can be corrected by playing the eighths further behind the beat and closer to an even duration, rather than loooooong short. The second 8ths are too staccato...Another tip I have found works is if you play the first 8th softer, to approximate the way it would be sung (which is slurring into the second 8th). at the moment it still sounds like you are kinda tentative, and as if you are having to "rein" yourself in all the time. With persistence your confidence and skills will enable u to play and sound more "natural" w/ the click...

Re the click on "4" at 30....I find that it's a good exercise to fit in 2 bars and make the click land on the "4" of the 2nd bar. Try, that.

Also, check out Metheny: it doesnt get better than this:

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=metheny+jazz+guitar+class+live+some+clinic&search_type=

check him on ATTYA, and also notice NO foot tap

13. yZe

yZe Senior Member

14. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Richard, I am still hittin' this everyday

Not ready to post clips, as I am catching what you r talking about

15. mojovibes

mojovibes Member

I know that I have an issue with my pocket if my butt doesn't want to move to the music I'm playing, if you know what I mean !?
    And when I'm getting it I sort of jump around, legs want to move and actually do move unconsciously by themselves.
    I found that if I first let myself dance and groove to the music I'm more pleased with my playing.
    Also that sort of connects to the previous thread, when my body is grooving with the song, the motifs I play are usually better, sort of not trying to cramp a sentence in the particular time space when a simple yeah comes naturally.

I also found an approach of not saying it all, very satisfying and cool to me, when you have a run, try to say only some parts of it, leaving every other bit out, it creates a sort of tension and mystery...

I'm not preaching that less is more always. I very much enjoy hearing a fast and tasteful run across the fretboard in the context of what the player is saying, but I found out that if it's going on all the time, then it turns to kind of a noise in the crowded place, where you hear a million voices but do not understand, hear and appreciate a single one.
    I feel that playing is expressing or mimicking emotions, I always try to think how do I or other people express themselves ? How do we act when we are angry, when we're sad, how do we talk, fast, slow, quiet, loud, how do we move, what our faces look like...
    And to get the music to paint the picture of all this and more is an everlasting chase...huh

I'm really contemplating with myself here, lot of this may be your thoughts too or completely irrelevant to you, I'm sorry if I overdid this, I just got carried away with my thoughts...

to finish this off..
    A seasoned pro told me not long ago that he likes to use his tones sparingly in order to get the audience to appreciate them more, to have them wait in tension on what he's going to say/play next, and when you have the audience anticipating your next move, then you've hit it right.
    ( and I would add to this...when you then actually manage to surprise them with something unexpected but right on target, then you've got cojones...)
    I think this is a great way to do it.

btw. As I'm writing this I have your myspace music playing in the background and I think that you're more at home with the bebop stuff than the blues...(both pocket-wise and phrase-wise)

sorry, I've used your post to talk to myself about what I should be doing...:)

All the best !
    Dean

16. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

YO Andy ,,, this made me laugh big time ...;)

17. aram

aram Member

yo yZe.

Seriously.

Start telling more stories.

With your music.

scales schmales.

bebop dweeb-bop.

tell me a story!

I want to hear your story!!!

not your scales and bebop lines!!!

18. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Yeah, this was a little while ago

I was mainly focusing on the time factor, rather than making a musical statement, so it was more of an exercise by intention, so I could get RB's imput on my time awareness

His specific assignment to me was to play straight 8th notes, so i was consciously doing that within those restrictions

Things have been like this lately
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6403123
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6331282

although not bop, you'll get the idea

The rock and blues stuff I never practice, but it seems that no matter how much practice i do with jazz, it will always be the big brother i could never beat up

as far as playing over the rhythm changes is concerned, I am refraining from posting until I am killing it with the metronome set on beat 4 only

The lines have been much more groovin' since I have been practicing that way

My last rhythm changes effort was this a little bit after time of the OP:
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6196093, a little bit more phrasing, but could be much better

Yup, and that's when i know I am onto something: when the rock/blues guys say that my jazz playing is better than my rock/blues playing, and when the jazzers say that my rock/blues playing is better than my jazz playing!!

I love it!

If I actually took statements such as those like that to heart, I'd be a mess!