1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Z-90's in Jazz Box... Your thoughts, experiences?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HammyD, Dec 31, 2005.

1. HammyD

HammyD Member

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone had ever tried a HD Z-90 in a jazz box? I am thinking small body (16") with a carved spruce top like the Heritage 575. I like the sound of the carved spruce but have never seen a model with a single coil or a p-90.....

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

best,

James

2. cnardone

cnardone Member

I heard second hand that they excel at semi-hollow but I've never heard anything about jazz boxes. I hope you let us know if / when you try.

3. HammyD

HammyD Member

I had the opportunity to play a few 50's ES-175 while in NYC. All were p-90's and exceptional. I think much of the thought that laminate top jazz boxes sound better in a band situaiton and carved tops sound better as instruments played alone may come from the fact that the laminate is brighter. I would think a P-90 with a carved top would be a great combination. I discovered Jason Lollar makes a small jazz box with dual p-90's and a carved top.

Also, for kicks one Sunday when the music stores were closed and all I had was a set of flat wounds which I put on an old tele and when I recorded it using a modeler (Yamaha DG Stomp) and recorded intto the computer using Garage band, most people listening to the play back tought I had used a traditional jazz guitar. The thickness of the soudn of the flats combined wit the single coil (Texas Special) neck pickup sounded great.

4. HammyD

HammyD Member

I restored a friend's '68 Telecaster and that's my '67 ProReverb! I loved that guitar and went to a lot of trouble to rescue it as it had been belt sanded and barely survived years of abuse playign in bars, only to have him give up playing.

I may try to build a Warmoth or USAG replica, soon.... Maybe with a Z-90.

[​IMG]
    Your rig looks great. The idea of a Seth Lover appeals to me, too!

5. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

Tried them in some non-traditional boxes. The necks had to go. High-fi, but I kept wrestling with tone pots and caps to try and get something close to that 'bucker full upper mid when I rolled the treble down some - couldn't do it with the Z's. Can do it with P-90s in a hollow spruce top strat. Something about the response curve. If you want to play straightahead, I don't think so. If you want to play hybrid roots, should work OK.

6. HammyD

HammyD Member

Thanks for the insight! I'd love to hear more about the spruce top strat!

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

As others have related, no experience with Z-90s, but I'm a BIG fan of P-90s in a semi hb/full hb...especially in the neck for jazz. IMO, they stay far clearer and more defined in the low registers than HBs, especially critical with the tone rolled down. I have others with HBs that I sometimes use for jazz, but I've gotta work extra hard on my EQ to maintain clarity down low. Read great reports on the HDs...I've considered giving them a try as well. Be sure to post if you get there first.

8. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

Not to confuse with even more pickup choices, but anyone has experience with these http://www.sdpickups.com/ ?

I've been wanting to try humbuker sized P90s in my Sheraton for a while now. There's just too many choices, huh?

9. jetlag

jetlag Member

I haven't tried Dave's Kayboxes yet but want to. I have had him make a set of strat pickups to my specifications and they were superb. I recommend Dave highly.