Z Best 2x12 vs Germino 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by laurencer83, Jul 11, 2005.

1. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

i'm trying to decide between one of these two cabs. i'm planning on changing the speakeres to scumbacks or heritage celestions. so i'm looking for the cab with better tonal projection. any one tried both of these?

2. Onswah

Onswah Member

I've just tried a Zbest and it is REDICULOUS. if hve it horizontal the bass response is amaing, stand it verticle and it projects more, really an outstanding cabinet.

3. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

The Germino cabs have a nice bass response too. I was checking one out at a shop a while back and the quality is first rate.:cool:

4. Jack Walker

Jack Walker Supporting Member

I own a Zbest cabinet and it is hands down the best 2 X 12 cabinet I have ever tried, but I have not had a chance to try a Germino. The bass response in the Zbest is to die for. Or like the gentleman said, if you end up in a bottom-endy room, stand it on end which tames some of the bottom. I have removed the Celestions and am using a Tonker and a Red Fang in this cabinet.
    Sonic bliss through my Allen Tone Savor or my Maz 38 SR. I'm getting closer to trying the Governors though.

5. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I've tried both and have to give the nod to the Germino. All around I just find it more satisfying. You cannot go wrong with either one though! Both superb cabs. :D

6. Stu/Fat Sound

Stu/Fat Sound Member

The Z Best is a little tighter, darker and slightly punchier. The Z Best is also a bit more compact and has a port created by an internal shelf that is used to dial in the bass response that Z was looking for in his cabinet.
    The Germino is more open, slightly brighter and has a bit more crunch on the top end.
    The Germino can also be ordered with an open back panel kit.

Of course speakers make a big difference too. Germino is now offering the Heritage speakers for an upcharge.
    I think everyone who has heard these speakers has been really impressed. I know I dig 'em a lot!

Z will be offering them as an option in his cabs soon.

I've always liked Z's default combination of one G12H30 and one Vintage 30, but for lower volume and a bit more top crunch some guys prefer to replace the V30 with a Greenback.
    For the most versatility though it's tough to beat the stock speaker config.

Stu/Fat Sound Guitars

7. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

thanks guys for some of the replies. there aren't any dealers of either of those guys in my area so it's kind of a buy and try situation. but i'm sure they are both great. i have one germino lead 55 and a dr z RXES in blonde. right now i'm just using an orange 2x12 up vertical w/ 2 heritage 30 watters. a lot of people don't seem to like the orange 2x12's but i like them espesially with this speaker config. the v30's weren't my thing.

i'm leaning a little toward the z best cab. but we'll see what happens. but if i find a better deal on a germino cab that i'll probably go with it. too many damn choices!

8. raz

raz Member

Life is a buy-and-try situation. You pays your money and you takes your chances...and only the latter is optional.

The Z-Best is a Thiele-ported cabinet, hence the bass response everyone talks about. The question is whether that big bottom end works for you. There's no way to know without trying it.

Both of these are going to be fine, fine cabinets. Buy a Z-Best and use it while you save your money for a Germino (which is going to cost you more). Then compare them and keep the one you like.

Or keep them both just because each matches with one of your amps. :dude

R
    A
    Z
    (I've got a stock Z-Best and a Swanson with Blues. Killer cabinetry, both)

9. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

10. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

does the G12H balance out the highs on the vintage 30? i'm asking because i used to have 2 vintage 30's in my orange but i hated the shrill top end it gave at higher volumes. so i'm wondering if the 70th anniversary speaker's bottom end balances out the shrill top end of the v30?

11. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Go with the GB.

12. Roe

Roe Member

if you wanna save some money, buy a mojotone cab. they make the germino cabs. a 2x12 cost 335$, a 2x12 with celestion alnico blues cost 625$.
    A avatar 2x12 with alnico blues cost 650$