Z.Vex Fuzz Factory

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spoken wheel, Jul 13, 2008.

1. spoken wheel

spoken wheel Member

Hello, I am currently interested in Z.vex fuzz factory, i was just wondering what other fuzz pedals would fit in this category. I would say the red witch fuzz god II, and maybe some devi ever stuff but is there anything else. Also has anyone tried both the US Fuzz factory and the vexter series, if so please comment. Or if anyone has experience with the Vexter series at all.

Thankyou

2. F0URwordLETTER

F0URwordLETTER Member

3. gold_soundz

gold_soundz Member

If you only want to use it as a noise-maker, any ff will do, vexter or painted. If you want to use it as a normal fuzz, some have 'the sound' and some do not. You need to try a few and pick the one you like best. There are probably good ones in all batches, but the painted ones generally seem warmer sounding to me. Some of the vexters can be very ice-pickey.

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

If you mean weird runaway sounds, etc. then disregard this, but if you mean ultra versatile in the sounds it can make, the MI Audio Neo fuzz and GI Fuzz both are a great buy and "tamer" while giving lots of variation in sound (tone controls, mid, input impedance, etc.).

The FF is a wonderful, exciting pedal, but also takes time to learn to use. I tended to get squeels, and weirdness when not wanting it. Learned to use it but the GI and Neo get me there much easier.

5. radcliff

radcliff Member

Perhaps the Ultra Lord and the Crazy Horse

6. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

The Red Witch Fuzz God basically is a FF, I tried one out the other day and thought it sounded pretty good. Saying that, I sold my fuzz factory 4 years ago cos it just didnt do the "normal" fuzz sound as well as my other fuzzes.

7. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Fuzz Factory (Vexter, USA, or Hand-painted version)
    Wooly Mammoth (for a bassier version of the above)
    Tone Factor / Sinister Analog Ultra Lord
    Mellowtone Wolf Computer
    Zoom Ultra Fuzz
    Analogman Pepperming Fuzz can get close on certain settings.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008
  8. spoken wheel

spoken wheel Member

Has anyone tried sinister analog soul provider or Ultra lord, do these pedals use si or ge transistors, any comments.
    thanks

9. paulgroove82

paulgroove82 Supporting Member

Subdecay Flying Tomato is like a mildly domesticated FF.

10. radcliff

radcliff Member

Fuzz God 2 sounds like a FF clone to me, but I like my FF alot more.

11. lessthan3

lessthan3 Member

i tried fuzz factory vexter and normal. both that i tested sounded the same, so i bought the vexter, its almost half the price of the painted one. im selling it soon though, not much use for a fuzz pedal right now.

12. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

Don't be afraid to check out the Fuzz Probe too. You can effectively turn off the control plate with the stab knob if you want to use it as a "normal" Fuzz Factory.

Also, if you can find one, check out the Death By Audio - Supersonic Fuzz Gun

13. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Can anyone explain what happens with the Fuzz Factory on some settings where a sustained high note will drop an octave, then a fifth, and then a few other tones? I love that sound, but don't have a clear grasp of what is going on with the pedal. It almost seems like it is falling the harmonic series in reverse, but I could be making that up.

Thanks,
    Bryan

14. Clumsy Fingers

Clumsy Fingers Member

Perhaps Mr Vex could answer that one himself. I haven't a clue (but I like when it does the unexpected like that).

Regardless, I've never had any trouble dialing in a consistent sound with it. It never ceases to cut through the band in a way that I like- which may be another way of stating that I don't think it's suited for bedroom players.

15. sunken.anchor

sunken.anchor Member

The Ultra-Lord uses Silicon transistors. I don't remember how many, though. It's a neat pedal. I thought about getting rid of it since it seemed a bit redundant after I got a Subdecay Noise Box, but it actually has some really good "normal" fuzz sounds as well as the oscillating crazy stuff.

It's pretty versatile but it takes a while to dial in settings since all the knobs are pretty interactive with each other. Sometimes that means significant increases or decreases in output volume, so it takes some tweaking and some memory to find settings you like. It can scream with feedback, oscillate (frequency adjustable with the "Contour" knob, it can do the lower octave video game sound w/ the guitar volume rolled back, it can do super scooped fuzz, glitchy velcro fuzz, etc. I have never tried a Fuzz Factory but I know that the Ultra-Lord comes up often as a darker, less-shrill alternative.

16. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

The velcro fuzz setting (and slightly lower comp settings) will often produce this falling series when you play notes at the 12th fret or so, usually using the rhythm pickup. If you watch it on a scope it makes a bit more sense... it's a mathematical series of teeth dropping out of a very narrow pulse string. It's not exactly a pure harmonic or musical series so much as a mathematical one. If you have access to a scope, take a look some time. It's pretty interesting.

17. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Zachary,

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I've had my Fuzz Factory for about 10 years now and I still use it all the time. Controlling that "series of teeth dropping out of a very narrow pulse string" with my playing/volume control is one of my favorite ways to use the pedal.

Bryan

18. b_rad

b_rad Member

They're silicon. The only one of our pedals that uses any germanium (at this point) is the Huckleberry V2. Thanks for your interest.

19. F0URwordLETTER

F0URwordLETTER Member

Also check out the Fix'd Fuzz.