Z Vexks Box Of Rocks Question:

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Squigglefunk, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

does this pedal really sound like a box of rocks? I'm looking to nail AC/DC, CCR, and robin ford's politician tone. Will the box of rocks get me there?

2. Panacea

Panacea Member

First, It's ZVex "Box of Rock". Yes, it will do AC/DC...if you know how to play it.

3. CAC

CAC Member

Definitely does AC/DC. I have found that the pedal works best in front of EL 84 or EL 34 amps. I didn't like the sound of it with a Fender Twin or Mesa F series I had running through the clean channel. However, I think it kicks ass running it with my Reinhardt combo and Buuda combo. Works well as a stnad alone distortion pedal with those amps, but I especailly like it for turning the Reinhardt running at low over drive into a fire breather. That's my favorite use for it. To me, it just didn't sound that great running it in front of a Fender style amp, which was a shame, but then again I pretty much hate running distortion pedals into clean amps, so it could just be me.

4. brianf

brianf Member

Even after I had mine I thought it was called Box of Rocks as well.. Could never figure out what the hell the name meant:jo

brianf

5. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

Yes Squigglefunk, the Box of Rockets by zVicks will nail all those tones. But here is the most amazing tone, turn the Drive down somewhat, tone all the way up, volume on the Box of Rockets side up, and switch on the boost with the boost up halfway (Crackle Okay!) I ran that through a dimed Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier with a Boss RV-5 Reverb pedal in the effects loop, and I could nail Stevie Ray Vaughns tone, at least as I hear it. I did play it through a fifteen inch speaker, so that may have had something to do with it. I have heard those MEsa Boogiers were based on the Dumple amps, but I'm not sure if it was the Sweet String Stinger model that SRV used! Hope that helps. :hiP

:rotflmao

6. Squigglefunk

sounds good so far! I'm hoping it will help my JTM45 nail those classic marshall tones. I heard that it sounds the most "marshally" when played thru a marshall.

7. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

First off, the BoR sounds great and the Boost is killer too!

I find the BoR sounds best when you want to turn an amp into a Marshall and yes it can do AC/DC.

8. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

Mine knocks the Fender badge clean off of my '67DR...

9. Squigglefunk

is that because of the excessive bass response?