1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Z28 Kill a Blue?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JES1680, Jul 9, 2005.

1. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Was wondering if it's safe to run a Celestion Blue in a Z28 1x12 combo? The Z is rated at "around" 22 watts. So far so good, but I haven't cranked it. It sounds great!!

thanks

2. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Don't crank it or hit it with a boost pedal.

3. JES1680

This may end up being my practice amp. I'd love to be able to use it with volume 3/4 to max on the volume, but I'm afraid I'll toast the $$ speaker.

By the way, ran my Tomcat through the cab speaker and WOW.

Anyone know where I can get a Tomcat combo cab?

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Weber makes a blue rated at 30w that sounds great.

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

the Z28 is a powerful small amp........I wouldn't use a single Blue with it unles the amp were attenuated.

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Yep, that was always my favorite speaker with the Tomcat........esp nice with humbuckers........

7. big mike

big mike Consigliere Staff Member

Crap, I'd still be scared. I smoked a Green with mine. Wasnt too far past 10 with a Tube screamer kicked in....:eek:

8. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

I have a single Celestion Blue that is usually hooked up to my Ghia, but occassionally I'll run a Z28 into it. I've never run the volume past 1 o'clock and use an RC Booster sparingly when using the 28.

According to Dr Z, you should always use TWO Cele Blues with a Z28.

A fine sounding speaker all in all.

9. JES1680

Thanks everyone. I think I'll clamp this one down with a Hot Plate and use it for practice at home. Maybe order a 1x12 ext cab with another blue or Webber.

10. Zane

Zane Member

posted by Madison
    don't want to "highjack"...but I've been thinking about an Avatar with a blue in it to use with my Ghia...you don't have any probs there do ya?

11. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Zane, I'm planning on putting the Ghia and open back 1x12 Avatar/Cele Blue up for sale this week. If you're interested in the Av/Blue, drop me an email. I'll sell them together or separate. It's a perfect little cab/speaker for the Ghia, no probs at all...just making room for new stuff on the horizon.

12. iainmc

iainmc Member

having just blown a blue, i'd suggest you don't do that. the amp is rated as 28w - that's mean it would peak up at at least 40-45w. that speaker is a 15w speaker - the times where you may get screwed are things like plugging & unplugging a guitar or some strange pop.

its a friggin' expensive speaker for a pratice setup...

/i