1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Z28 with reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Killcrop, May 16, 2006.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I want an amp that is tight, puncy and breaks up like the Z28 but with reverb.

Any suggestions?

2. BBHollowbody

BBHollowbody Member

I say get the Z28 and put a Fender '63 reissue tube reverb unit in front on it. The tone you get is worth the added gear and $$. I've heard this combination before and it is very good to say the least:dude

The Z28 is a pretty unique amp. There aren't many Ef-86/2 6V6 amps with built in reverb that I can think of.

3. Jim Fairbairn

Jim Fairbairn Member

Dave,

I gotta feeling you've already tried this, but have you tried a holy grail with the Z28. That's what I've been using. I wish I had dwell a control for the pedal, but that's my only complaint. Come on over and try it if you want.

4. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

I have a Holy Grail that I bought to use with my Z28. I rarely use it, not because it's a bad sounding pedal, I just find I don't miss the reverb with the Z. The amp is very 3D sounding to me with lot of swirl!
    ArnieZ

5. myles111

myles111 Member

That is what I do.... use a Fender stand alone unit.

6. myles111

myles111 Member

Arnie,

I had a Holy Grail and gave it away. I found it noisy with just about any amp I tried with it. Mine was one of the originals ... perhaps they improved them later.

7. BBHollowbody

BBHollowbody Member

Yes, to my ear the Fender unit sounds so much better than the Holy Grail.

8. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

Myles,
    Mine was noisy also, I sent it back to EH with the noise complaint and the unit they returned to me is reasonably quiet. Noise has never been the reason I don't use it though, I really like the amp without it!
    ArnieZ

9. Chadley

Chadley Member

That is exactly what I do but with a custom made reverb unit made by a local amp builder named "Uncle Spot". If you are looking for some amazing Fenderish vibe, that is one way to definetly get it.

10. Robertito

Robertito Member

I use the Boss RV-5 (not to be confused with the very boxy sounding RV-3) with my amps that don't have reverb, and I've had great results. Choose the spring reverb setting.

11. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member