Zack Wylde Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mastervolume, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

So I am reading the guitarplayer overdrive shootout and they are raving about the Zack Wylde OD. I figure whatever...I'll give it a shot.

This thing is a great OD for the money. You guys should really give it a chance.

It has a great range of gain tones and really works well with the guitars volume control. It is also very touch sensitive. Good stuff

anyone else using it?

2. nsriley

nsriley Member

Yup I bought one a while back. I love it. I think most think it's a metal pedal. On the contrary, it's a great sounding overdrive. From bluesy to classic rock. Has a mid range punch, and can really cut through. You can't judge it from listening to Zakk use one because he uses his in an already ripping JCM800 head LOL! If you use it with a clean amp it really grinds nice. With a dirty amp it just rips!

-Peace
    -Nate

3. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I agree, it's a great pedal. I use it in front of an SLO-100. I use it for a nice break-up on the clean channel and kick it in for leads on the gain channel.

I agree that most people assume this is a "metal" pedal but it's more in line with a tube screamer...

4. el34power

el34power Member

Isn't it a keeley SD-1 clone ... how ironic:rolleyes:

5. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I've been wondering about that one too. I mean for years he was known for using an SD-1, and out of nowhere he's using an MXR?

Nate, you say it has a mid punch, would you compare it to a modded TS-9? Or is it a bit harder, not so smooth, drive?

6. p.snail

p.snail Member

7. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

really?

Crap! I could have paid double and felt better about myself.:Spank

8. omensixaxe

omensixaxe Member

i heard that they can get pretty noisy, any thoughts?

9. seanc

seanc Member

i have one and love it. does what he wants very well but not for all players

10. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Not true at all. This pedal does NOT have a mid range punch. That's one of the reasons I bought it.

Compare the ZW to a Tube Screamer and you'll easily see the mid-range punch associated with TS type pedals is not there.

I use mine for low volume playing with an 18 watt clone. That amp hates tube screamers because it already is heavy in the mids. When you put a TS in front of the 18 watt it just makes it sound harsh. The ZW makes it sound wonderful, almost a low volume representation of the amp when its cranked.

Its a good OD nonetheless.

11. nsriley

nsriley Member

I'll agree to disagree to a point. To me it has similarities to a TS, which I own as well, but not quite the mid range hump. The ZW does kick the mids up just not as pronounced as a TS. It's a great OD pedal, one of my favorites as a matter of fact. I like it better than a TS. I think what I was trying to say it it really can make you cut through a mix well, and it does.

-Peace
    -Nate

12. el34power

el34power Member

I agree with you 100%

13. el34power

el34power Member

Yes it is. Before he got really famous..... The Keeley SD-1 works really well with a JCM800.. i imagine the ZW must also sound good

14. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

well remember that the early Ibanez (and some boss) pedals were 'based on/borrowed heavily from/ripped off from the 70s MXR pedals... so for MXR to make one 'based on' a variation of thier original pedal is interesting.....

I hadnt heard the SD1 thing...but i beleive the SD1 was Bosses version of the TS which was Ibanez' "evolution" of the Dist+ ---- I thought the ZW might be a hopped up distortion +