Zakk Wylde Chorus pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, Dec 27, 2009.

1. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I use chorus/flange for some cleans but I prefer a chorus that works in front of the amp for gainier stuff, ala Zakk Wylde. I used to have a Jacques Meistersinger and loved it but sold it years ago. LOL.

Since then I got back into pedals and have a modded Boss BF-2. I was told flanger cuts through better live so I have been using this but it does have more of the waviness of the flange and not a chorus....

So.....anyone find a Zakk type chorus for cutting live with gain?

Thanks.

2. papersoul

Should mention I do not need it to be stereo. I use mono.

3. papersoul

4. Harvesterofsorrow

Harvesterofsorrow Member

if it works for zakk it should work for you, i use a boss ce-2 mij myself and it does both clean and dirty great in front of my amp

5. Madsen

Madsen Member

is there something wrong with his MXR signature model?

6. scorpiobevo

scorpiobevo Member

I had the zakk chorus and it should get you what your looking for. Great vintage sounding chorus and it has alot of tweakablitly that should allow you to cut through. just my thoughts....

7. papersoul

Thanks guys...the MXR Analog Chorus would probably be cheaper but I never see em on ebay.
    http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/analog-chorus

I was thinking of getting either that or the Zakk chorus and the MXR Flanger rather than the Fulltone Choralflange mostly because I like having dedicate pedals since this way it is less tweaking live.

8. papersoul

You guys notice any tone suck?

9. Harvesterofsorrow

Harvesterofsorrow Member

no tone suck

and the mxr analog chorus is not out yet, thats why you cant find them anywere in stock

10. papersoul

Thanks for the analog chorus info! Do you know the release date or is the Zakk Wylde chorus basically the same thing?

11. papersoul

Do you have one? So the bypass is OK?

Anyone have thoughts on how this compares to the Boss CE-2?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  12. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

I haven't tried one yet. I'd like to, and only just realising how much Zakk Wylde's chorused gain tone is an influence on my tone, even thoough I don't follow his music that much . Or maybe it's a Randy Rhoads thing.

I tried chorus in the effects loop and didn't like it as much, so I prefer it in front of the amp. Although the problem there is that the low end and low mids get a little mucky. I guess Zakk's signature chorus pedal has the advantage of Low & High Cut filters, so you can preserve the bottom end and also darken the chorus sound a bit.

I should have bought one, instead of a Boss CE-3. I wanted to modify the CE-3, but it might be too difficult, so I gave up on it. The CE-3 is nice but a bit bright-sounding for me.

An alternative is the Neunaber Chroma Chorus. It's mono, and has a Mix knob. You can set it 100% wet and use it in a stereo setup. It doesn't muck up the bottom end as much.
    The Chroma is actually a non-cyclical chorus, so won't get as warbly. The pitch gets transposed, rather than constantly modulated.

13. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

They both appear to be exactly the same, except for the paint job.

14. papersoul

For now I might actually go with the Fulltone Choralflange V2. My buddy uses it after gain and it sounds fantastic with gain or clean.

15. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Have you tried the Neunaber Chroma at all? It's worth a go.

I really like it when used in mono, but once I get my cab fixed up (soldering iron is on the fritz) I'm really keen to try it in a stereo setup.

16. allanh91

allanh91 Member

Just a heads up. The analog chorus and the Zakk Wylde signature are the same everything minus design.

I emailed Dunlop a while ago. I was thinking about this chorus too, but I think the Micro Chorus uses a better BB chip. So it would be a toss up between the better sound or the tweakability.

17. papersoul

For my ears, I am afraid nothing will beat the ChoralFlange's chorus.....so I will have to run a test.

18. Harvesterofsorrow

Harvesterofsorrow Member

this is true :agree

19. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

I had the MXR Zakk chorus for a while. I didn't notice any issues at all with it bypassed. The sound is quite impressive in front of distortion (pedal or cranked amp). The hi and lo cut filters are quite useful, but the overall sound of the pedal sits more in the upper register than other choruses. It leaves the bass alone so it doesn't muck up the tightness with higher gain sounds. It's a pretty crystalline sound that's quite different from the mid-range emphasized CE-2 and its variants. It tends to accentuate the attack of higher gain chords more than the decay. Overall it's a pretty subtle effect, and that subtlety becomes more apparent as you send it to cleaner sounds. If you want lush cleans, it's not the best choice. It was clearly designed to work with higher gain. It's very similar in sound and tweakability to the Boss CE-5, but with an even more transparent quality to it.

Hope this helps. I eventually sold it because I do most of my chorusing with cleans. I picked up the Hardwire Chorus and love it.

20. JK47

JK47 Member

The MXR Wylde Chorus or the Boss CH-2 will get you the Zakk tone...mostly because that's EXACTLY what he's been using since the beginning of time. He's one of the few guys who actually uses all of his signature stuff. I've used both and it's super easy to nail his sound.