Zakk Wylde OD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chimaera1982, Aug 20, 2005.

1. chimaera1982

chimaera1982 Member

Hi am new here, but ive been hanging out at the BAM forum for a while tho. Just want to ask opinions about this OD pedal. Am planning to buy it as a booster for the crunch channel on my amp (Rivera R30-112). The Rivera has its own booster but to me the sound that the Rivera gives boosted its like there but not there. Just missing the last oomph. Am thinking of getting this pedal to punch the amp over the edge. Does it works well in this regard? Ive also read in HC reviews that when in boosted mode its very easy to get the harmonic squeals ala ZW? Tt true?

2. dosmun

dosmun Member

I use a Hotcake with my Rivera M-60. I have tried many others but the HC is still my #1. I crank the Volume set the Drive between 9 oclock and noon and Presence to taste.

3. loveanddag

loveanddag Member

ive heard lots of bad things about that pedal. i had one for a while and it sounded good but i took it back because of the stuff i kept hearing. i know this isnt exactly answering your question but....apparently it has problems with reliability. i would look elsewhere. most of the people on this board know some stuff that would be 100x more reliable.

4. somedude

somedude Member

I have one. I like it for it's relatively flat EQ and lack of compression. I tend to use it mostly as a clean boost, but I leave the little rubber knob thing MXRs come with so I can roll up the gain with my toe if I want.

On the negitive side, although it's really quiet when used as a clean boost, it gets really noisy as you turn up the gain. Also, the first batch had faulty stomp switches in them. I heard they rectified that, but I wouldn't buy a used one.....or a new one that's been on the shelf awhile.

5. jayess

jayess Member

I used one last night at a gig overdriving my JCM800 for leads. I love the sound - it served the purpose well. The only thing that really turns me off is that it seemed to add a fair amount of noise to the signal - ie a constant hum. It's bearable, but not really acceptable in my opinion. If I ever find any information about this added noise and how to deal with it appropriately, I'll probably pick up this pedal. :cool:

6. chimaera1982

chimaera1982 Member

humm so i guess theres a consensus that the thing is noisy and that the earlier products are rather faulty. Am thinking of getting it brand new. Ive tried TS n not really my kinda thing so just curious any other pedals tt u would recommend in lieu of the ZW-44 w similar tone?

7. somedude

somedude Member

It has surface mount componants.....so it's near impossible to find anyone willing to mod it.

Boss SD-1.....though the SD-1 has a bit more compression and a bit more of a mid boost.....but if you like the tone and the extra hiss it kicks out doesn't bother you, I'd just get the Wylde OD.

I don't know what boutique options are available for that sound.

8. hawkeye17

hawkeye17 Member

I just got a Keeley TS-9 Plus Mod and it's pretty kickin. I like it over my Analogman modded SD-1 for leads. Not too expensive either.

9. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

get a mxr distII..more expensive but waaayy better,..not to be confused with the fact im selling one..or get a keely od..of any sort

10. Igneous

Igneous Member

I happen to love this thing. It does have that noise but, Im not running it as a total distotion pedal, but as a perfect boost pedal for my leads.

Throw it in front of any tube amp with a little gain with the settings on the pedal : level 75%,tone middle, gain 20%

Very transparent yet certainly great for leads and emphasises your chunk.

I use a gibson PAF too and the distortion sound great. . And as you were wondering- the pick harmonics are as easy as anything.

:dude

11. MattB

MattB Member

I cant stay about the Wyld OD but I recently purchased a Berber LTD and it works great for what you are looking to do.

Just my $0.02
    -MattB

12. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I just picked one up and have to say that I like the pedal a lot. I just use it as a boast for solo's before my SLO-100. I find it leaves my original tone intact and just gives me that extra sustain that you want for leads. A lot of people complain about the noise but any time you put a boast in front of a distorted amp your going to get an increase in hiss...That's just the way it is. For this purpose I like it better then my Maxon overdrive. It's less compressed and a little clearer. If I was just using the pedal to get some edge from a clean amp I would probably use the Maxon.

13. Igneous

Igneous Member

I dont think tone is the issue here.

14. JMP2203

JMP2203 Member

I love my wylde od, isnt noisy at all, is not noisy than my old ts808 that is sold:rolleyes:

15. Igneous

Igneous Member

Yeah, theres virtually no compression. Really nice circuit.

I think weve got a new "tube screamer" on our hands.

MHO

RIP MOOG

16. chimaera1982

chimaera1982 Member

Seems that am sold on the OD, the problem is that i cant really try it at the shop with my rig. It sounds fine thru my guitar and a darn cheap marshall mg30 (The shop has tube marshall but they don't allow us to try effects through it sadly) I tested it through the MG clean channel and it gives a nice OD, not really over the top. When i tried it on the MG distortion channel, it doesnt sound real good, perhaps because i cant really test it loudly and the shop keeper doesnt allow me to max the gain on the amp, and use the ZW OD to push it slightly further (Say the ZW OD gain of 2).
    In the end i could only max the gain on the ZW n use a slight dist on the amp. Theres quite a bit of noise but its probably due to the ZW OD at max gain, am not going to do that if i get it. Ill max the preamp gain on the rivera 9-10 and use the ZW with a gain of around 2.

17. Igneous

Igneous Member

Yeah, just like when a tube amp gets to its clipping point, This is where the od comes in. It drives the tubes harder and just compliments your amp. Hard to dissern at lower volumes.

18. dosmun

dosmun Member

Sounds like a good reason to shop elsewhere.:mad: