Zane teles

MattC

There's a few old threads but not much recent. Anybody have any comments on Zane Guitars, particularly their T-style guitars? Some country players i really admire play them and they look like very cool T-styles. Thoughts welcome.

C-4

I just went to their site. They have some nice looking guitars, but that headstock has to go! ;)

PatriotBadger

For whatever reason my local GC had someone dump a load of them, all in new condition. So I played a couple T-Types, a couple S-Types, a couple PRS style things, and some mutts. They are nice guitars with solid build quality and materials, and they seem to use Rio Grande pickups. Really nothing to complain about, but they didn't personally speak to me either (but that's hard to do). All had a little bit of fret sprout, either because we live in climate hell or because the PO didn't humidify or oil. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if the price was right. In this case, it was not.

MattC

For whatever reason my local GC had someone dump a load of them, all in new condition. So I played a couple T-Types, a couple S-Types, a couple PRS style things, and some mutts. They are nice guitars with solid build quality and materials, and they seem to use Rio Grande pickups. Really nothing to complain about, but they didn't personally speak to me either (but that's hard to do). All had a little bit of fret sprout, either because we live in climate hell or because the PO didn't humidify or oil. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if the price was right. In this case, it was not.

Interesting. What was your GC asking for the Teles? Anything specific about why they didn't speak to you?

PatriotBadger

Don't recall off hand....they varied from around $800 to $1600 between the various Zanes, but to me there wasn't any specific reason as to why. I suppose the reason they didn't really speak to me is that I'm not a Tele guy, yet, and am just not that familiar with them. So take that into account. The only 'F' guitar that has really turned my crank in recent memory is my buddy's all original 1958 Strat. I love an S-style but prefer modern appointments (tilt-back HS, flatter radius, modern trem or hardtail).

All of these Zanes are at the GC in Englewood CO. A few Zanes also made it up to the Colorado Blvd store. Seems like a whole bunch of them got dumped.

Yeah, apparently Zane owed one of their sales reps some money, so they gave him the guitars as payment. I couldn't find one with both pickups and neck that I really like (not a big fan of the Rio Grande pickups). Really well made guitars, though - the fret work in particular is outstanding.

MattC

Don't recall off hand....they varied from around $800 to $1600 between the various Zanes, but to me there wasn't any specific reason as to why. I suppose the reason they didn't really speak to me is that I'm not a Tele guy, yet, and am just not that familiar with them. So take that into account. The only 'F' guitar that has really turned my crank in recent memory is my buddy's all original 1958 Strat. I love an S-style but prefer modern appointments (tilt-back HS, flatter radius, modern trem or hardtail).

All of these Zanes are at the GC in Englewood CO. A few Zanes also made it up to the Colorado Blvd store. Seems like a whole bunch of them got dumped.

Gotcha, thanks. I'm hankering for a tele again (LP guy first and foremost), so really trying to look into my various tele options. The H-S T-style with the tappable Rio Grande twangbucker looks pretty damn cool.

Yeah, apparently Zane owed one of their sales reps some money, so they gave him the guitars as payment. I couldn't find one with both pickups and neck that I really like (not a big fan of the Rio Grande pickups). Really well made guitars, though - the fret work in particular is outstanding.

What is it about the RG pickups you don't like? I'm a big low-wound PAF style fan. Also quite liked the custom shop twisted tele/broadcaster pups in my 15 MIA Tele.

Gotcha, thanks. I'm hankering for a tele again (LP guy first and foremost), so really trying to look into my various tele options. The H-S T-style with the tappable Rio Grande twangbucker looks pretty damn cool.

What is it about the RG pickups you don't like? I'm a big low-wound PAF style fan. Also quite liked the custom shop twisted tele/broadcaster pups in my 15 MIA Tele.

The Rios tend to be hot/high output and sound harsh and muddy to me. I do like the Twangbucker, though.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom