ZD vs. ZD2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by turtleheadblues, Aug 30, 2008.

1. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Ive been noticing ZD2s selling for the same used as the ZD.

Does the ZD2 not sound as good as the ZD?

Does the tube scare folks?

Thoughts?

2. ed84246

ed84246 Member

First off, the ZD2 is twice the size of the zen, then factor in you can only use an external power supply and you can see the advantage of the Zen. Tone wise, I really like my Zen 2 but it seems to lean more in a rock crunch Marshall direction than the sweeter Dumble style tones of the regular zen. (I'm not saying the ZD2 sounds just like a cranked Marshall, but it leans more in that direction). Some people have said if you pull the tube out of the Zen2, it sounds just like the zen. Haven't tried this yet but I think I will soon. Hope this helps.

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

ed,

Do you have the Zen2?
    Have you ever tried it with 12V? I'd love to try one, but it can't run off my pedalboard's power, and I'd rather not use the adapter, but if it ran off 12V, I could use my pedalboard to power it.

Also, you're saying the Zen2 can work without any tube inside?

4. GasMask

GasMask Member

I've not compared them side by side, but I love my Zen2. It's not as big as I thought it would be, so size is a non issue for me.

5. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

It can run without the tube, because it is not a tube driven pedal (tube not used for amplification, an opamp is used for that), it uses the tube as diode clippers similar to how the Zendrive uses mosfets or a TS uses silicon diodes. There you have it one long run on sentence! :) I had both and agree with ed's description of the tone. I liked the original better, but both are very nice sounding.

6. d-b

d-b Member

if 2 sounds like zendrive without the tube it would be cool to have a switch that takes the tube out of the circuit for different sounds. But then I guess less folks would own both. It would be cool nonetheless. I'll shut up and read now....

7. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

And has anyone tried 12V on it?