ZEEK Overdrive Is Back

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trishoot, Jun 18, 2008.

1. trishoot

trishoot Gold Supporting Member

The ZEEK Overdrive is back. I bought one of the new ones off eBay for around $100. The new ones have the name on the face of the pedal. Hopefully, it sounds the same as the first version which was really smooth and open. IMO, these were a great value and extremely under-rated.

2. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I bought one of the original ones after all the internet hype and the clip of the guy playing it side by side with the Eternity. Well it sounded nothing like my Eternity and everytime I stepped on it all I could think was "Tubescreamer". I sold it and haven't looked back.

3. waveman

waveman Member

What happened to these guys? I bought one not to sound like an E, I found mine to be a bit grittier, a little more of the original signal comes through with mine than the E that I had. I like mine just fine.

I wonder though how someone could own and E and not see the TS similarities as well...

4. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

The E *IS* a very slightly modified TS circuit, regardless of what people can hear. I myself have heard it in a few recordings and demos, and in every one of them I hear the tube screamer. The ZEEK is the same story, as is the CJOD, the LDO, etc etc They also share another similarity: they have goop on the PC board to hide the fact that they are just con jobs.

5. shecfr

shecfr Supporting Member

Isn't the same maker of the Zeek selling the new X-2 Overdrive?

6. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

:stir

7. trishoot

trishoot Gold Supporting Member

Interesting...I've had 4 different Zeeks. No goop at all on the ones I had. I would say this pedal is more like an OCD than a Tube Screamer, much more transparent than a Tube Screamer or for the Eternity for that matter.

8. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I had a couple of these and played more than that. It might be close to a TS circuit wise but sonically I didn't think so.

9. XKnight

XKnight Member

I still have an original Zeek and it has held up against many pedals costing twice as much. In fact, I've kept the Zeek and sold most of the others. It certainly can sound similar to a TS, but it also has it's own thing going on. I like to use it on low settings as a gritty OD and to push other pedals, but it also turns into a beast when dimed. As with any pedal, a lot has to do with the guitars, amps and fingers being used.

10. teletalkin

teletalkin Supporting Member

I've had few Landgraff's and really regret letting my Bob Burt OD go. Never had a CJOD or an Eternity but the Zeek OD certainly is in the Landy/Burt class. Sounds great and build quality looks really good. Mine does have the goop. For the price it is hard to beat!

11. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Nice to see He's making a comeback. The first time around the Zeek/Eternity comparison brought out The club wielding Lovepedal Devotees who were bent on convincing everyone it was junk. Great pedal then and apparently better now. BTW I have nothing against Sean or Lovepedal.

12. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

I would be curious how the Kozmo X2 and the new Zeek differ?

I picked up a Kozmo X2 back in April, and it is a fantastic sounding OD.

Zeek and Kozmo are supposed to be the same builder from what I have read in a previous thread.

13. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

So approx. how many of the 'original' Zeek blue OD's were made? I've had #30 for a good while now, but it hasn't made it on my board yet. Is this anywhere close to what a Landy sounds like?

14. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

No, not one of the original ones.

15. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Well, the E has quite a few component changes. The LDO & CJOD are much closer to a stock TS than the E. And yes, they're all variants of the TS.