• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Zeke

tsar nicholas

Who loves the kings of filthy Washington amphetamine 'n' roll? For me, rock gets no better than their early LPs. They are the cure for what ails. Here's the review of "Flat Tracker" that I wrote last year.

---

Zeke - "Flat Tracker"

0 0 0 0 0

There are some perfect things that remain in this corrupt and poisoned world. Matisse's "Icarus." The mighty saguaro cactus. Thora Birch's hooters. An open road at midnight.

Add to that list Zeke's 1996 LP "Flat Tracker." This brief shock of rat-rodding perfection is the ideal Platonic form of a speed-punk-metal record. Taking Motorhead's formula and applying it to sub-Ramones song lengths and Beach-Boys-on-crank lyrics, leader Blind Marky Felchtone and his zoomed-out crew deliver the funnest, fastest, and most frenetic album of its kind.

With a deadly exactitude that makes Metallica's "Kill 'Em All" sound like the Kingsmen, "Flat Tracker" just roars with raw rock 'n' roll attitude. The guitars have the revving-engine buzzsound that makes you feel like you've got dust in your mouth, and Felchtone spits his single-minded lyrics with a speed and precision usually found on records by Twista and Busta Rhymes. If Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent were born 20 years later and had access to a huge stash of goofballs, this is the LP they'd make.

Like most classic albums, "Flat Tracker" knocks you out straight away with a trio of unbelievably great songs : "T500," "Eddie Hill," and the slower-yet-hard-as-heck burner" Chiva Knievel." These three are so outta sight that I could listen to them on repeat all day (and I have!). With average song length hovering near the one-minute mark, you don't have time to think -- you just get transported to the dirty, hormone-sodden local racetrack and rammed headfirst into the bleachers.

There are plenty of other great tunes on here -- "Daytona," "Fight in the Storeroom," "Flat Track." The concept and execution of every tune is flawless and tightly-focused. There is a nasty adolescent edge to this record that will bring back (or accompany the formation of) memories of sticky car seats, hot Thursday afternoons, raw lust mixed with hate, grape soda, confused nebulous fear, and cheap cigarettes. In short, it's just glorious. Like "Shizuo vs Shizor," this is an LP that you have gotta get before you're too old and your heart freezes up. Find it now!

Last edited:

Lukeling

Yeah man, we did a gig with em back in 99'ish & they were filthy California amphetamine 'n' roll for sure ! Awesome.

tsar nicholas

^ er right, I have no idea why I typed California, actually, I think it's because I was thinking of them in a Beach Boys context

Re : Supersuckers : I know huh? I was just listening to "Sacrelicious" today. "She's the 19th most powerful woman in rock!"

ianrodia

Huge fan of both bands. Seen 'em many many times.

Zeke has the power and the Suckers have the range. Killer guitar playing all over the place!