Zemaitis Made in Korea??

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
Hmm... Don't know.
I had a Japan model and it was pretty so-so. Pretty though.

supersede9

I've also been trying to find some info on these guitars. My understanding the first generation were made in Japan in the Greco factory, not sure if they are still making them. The second generation appear to be made in Korea, but made of Nato instead of Mahogany. There appear to be many different models. I can't find anybody in the US that stocks them. I had Tony re-fret my Zemaitis many years ago in London. What a great guy. He had Honeyman-Scott's guitar in his workshop at the time. He knew such a lot of the great guitarists on the British scene and made guitars for many of them. At that time he said he had received offers, but did not want to factory produce guitars. The originals were beautiful hand crafted guitars. I've only seen pictures of the new ones. I have have a few guitars made in Korea (ESP LTD, PRS SE) and I like the way they play and the build quality is pretty good. I gig with the ESP EC-1000. It appears that which factory Korean guitars come from appears to be difficult to find and a topic of much discussion. Although PRS SE say they are made by World Musical Instrument Co.
I did find a Zemaitis demo from Andertons where they appear to stock both Japanese and Korean made guitars.

Last edited:

xmd5a

I have recently made Zemaitis guitars from Japan and Korea. I'm not too familiar with the distinction between Greco Zemaitis and "Generation 2" Zemaitis, if there even is one, but generally speaking, if the Zemaitis costs less than $2,000, then it's Korean made, if it's $2,000 or more, it's likely made in Japan. Their quality is pretty close, but the Japanese made ones have a degree of perfectness to them that just slightly surpasses the Korean made models. The $1,000 - $2,000 range is definitely a better value, and I really only bought the Japanese models when they weren't offering a Korean equivalent. The Korean range Zemaitis tend to be made of Nato and feature no-name pickups, while the Japanese ones are more often Mahogany and have "Dragon" pickups (which are not that great either TBH).

Trending Topics