zemaitis z-series

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wsaraceni, Dec 5, 2019.

1. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

I love my Zemaitis guitars, and personalized all of them. I have 3, all Japanese models, my Disctop is from the Gen 1 Greco/Zemaitis line and it has custom wound Tom Short pickups in it and new CTS pots, Switchcraft switches and jacks, RS cap, and braid wire. The other two are from the Gen 2 Japanese lines, one is a Antanus A24MF NT metal top with all new tuners (Gotoh SGL510Z A60 engraved 21:1 ratio) new Q-Parts knobs, and new electronics (Tyson Tone Lab Precious and Grace pickups, VIP pots and Spraque Vit Q caps). And the other is from the Superior line limited series they did a few years ago, it's a SUJ100 LTD13, with the same Gotoh tuners, some different Q-parts knobs, custom aluminum pickup rings, and the electronics exactly like the Antanus...

[​IMG]

Here's the tuners (they are direct replacements for the original Gotoh 310s)...

[​IMG]

Here's the new knobs (you can also see the the custom pickup rings on the black one)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark Ray and motorcitychick like this.
  2. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

so I must post the good with the bad. something is either wrong with the wiring, or if my suspicion is correct, the volume pot on the bridge pickup. it cuts out. Its intermittent. I just installed a set of Duncan pickups hoping it was the import pickup but it looks like im ordering a wiring harness for the guitar too. I may just replace everything as I really like the guitar.

every import guitar ive had needed at least one POT and usually the output jack replaced. never 2 weeks into it though. not a big deal for me really as Id swap pickups in much more expensive guitars so I don't really consider cheap pickups I rip out right away an issue. but I would expect the POTS to last longer.

id still recommend this guitar though. it really is good otherwise

3. rockabilly69

Sure it's the pot, not the 3 way switch?

4. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

not sure. ripped out all the electronics and pickups and replaced with rs guitar works and Duncan slash pickups. everything was replaced except the output jack and the ground wire going to the bridge

Mincer likes this.
  5. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

The Deviser Metalfront 1993 run was more resonant than any Z Reissues I've played in retailers the past couple of years.
    Sold it eventually because the necks on reissues & replicas generally are on the slimmer side.

6. rockabilly69

Since my last post, I yanked the pickups out of the SUJ101 LTD13, and replaced them with MS2000SB Dearmond style pickups, and I put the Tyson's in a brand new A22MFP BK...

[​IMG]

Mark Ray likes this.