Zen Drive @ $375 VS. Barber DD @ $100, is the extra $275 worth it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Yossi, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Yossi

Yossi Member

I am starting to GAS up for the Zen Drive. I just bought a Barber Direct Drive,
    I already have the Xotic BB, Xotic AC Plus, and the OCD.
    Do I really need the Zen?

If I do, where is it different from what I have already?

I am using a Bluetron Blueverb amp if that helps.

2. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Zendrive is only $179 from the builder....and just a 3 month wait.

Much different from a DD. I like most of Barber's stuff, but the DD is waaaay too compressed for live use, IMO. The Zen is more of an uncompressed, singing tone that KILLS in a cranked, live setting.

Better comparison would be with the Small Fry, whic is more flexible and has more gain than the Zen, but isn't apples and oranges.

3. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

the zendrive needs to be used at gig levels to really be appriciated in my opinion.

this is where it really excels. it cuts well, and has a very spongy feel. its a great pedal, and i think you should try one. its a bit different than the DD, but i'd say much more similar to david's smallfry.

4. Rock72

Rock72 Member

:AOK That's your answer. BTW, great pedal.

5. pharmx

pharmx Member

Do you really need the Zen? Not at that price, you don't....as others have already mentioned, just buy it directly from Alf. The wait time isn't as bad as it used to be.

6. 12StringStrat

12StringStrat Member

Had the DD, bought a ZD, sold a ZD, still have the DD.

7. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have the DD, and have played a ZD. Like both, and don't think they're anything alike.

8. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

I bought and sold a used Zendrive for about $150 or so a while back, the guy I sold it to was delighted. I don't miss it, it was smoother & more polite than I prefer. The other pedal that I remember sounding somewhat similar to the Zendrive was the Xotic BB (it might have been a bit darker toned), it didn't work for me either.

I seem to remember liking the Direct Drive SS I had better than the ZD & BB, it seemed more amp-like, but I liked the Small Fry even more still.

As for the high price of the Zendrive, it's mostly about supply and demand. If price is an issue for you (it would be for me), you may as well get on the list.

9. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Played through a DD on the gig for 2 years.Now have the Zen.No reflection on DB's work(he's a fine builder & designer,as well as big on having satisfied customers-so is AH),the ZD is more of a library of Dumble as opposed to the DD.The DD is more about turning a Fender tone into a Marshall tone.Price differs by about 90 bux.I like both,but much prefer the Zendrive.

10. Yossi

Yossi Member

I think the price that I was quoted was for the ZenDrive II and that is $250 plus shipping on the website.

How does the Zendrive I and II compare?

11. armoredfist316

armoredfist316 Member

I traded with someone on here for a zendrive and wasnt all that impressed. Its not very similar to a DD and I had both at the same time. The guy I got mine from said he was able to cop any zendrive tone with an AC booster so you may be covered.

Ive never compared the 2 but thats what he said.

12. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I'm having a great day. My Zen I & II arrived together and i have them side by side now...Let the honeymoon phase begin!! First impressions is that that Zen 2 is higher gain, thicker and darker sounding, more harmonically complex. The Zen I has a great vocal upper mid peak which i can't dial into the II which is great for front ending an amp on verge of clip. My ears are telling me that the II would be the best option to bring a clean amp into crunch whereas the originaL Zen would be the best option for a solo lift with that mid cut it's got. Both damn fine pedals and both equally useful. Rawkin' :AOK

13. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

14. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

im not one to say this much but the zendrive has a very unique quality to it that is easy to hear and havent heard it in any other drive ive tried...its way worth ordering her direct.